Convoy S2+ Desert Tan Available Now!

I think that's a problem with smooth reflectors in general. I have a XM-L2 1A in an Olight with a SMO and the yellow hotspot is similar. I've never seen a similar artifact with OP reflectors.

any idea why paypal says “vendor will get funds by October 15th”? I paid simon directly September 14th. haven’t heard back from him since.

Nevermind. He answered. New light is on the way

I hope it is okay to ask this question.

Does anyone know if the Gearbest Sandy Brown version is the same as the one listed on AliExpress store?

The “Sandy Brown” appears to have the old UI, not the biscotti one.

The 4*7135 DT S2+ finally came through with a 4C XP-L HI. The lowest biscotti level is surely brighter than the BLF A6 moonlight mode. I guess it can be considered a moonlight, but it is definitely not firefly levels like I think you are looking for. But it has got to be at least 2 lumen, according to my noob eye gauge. I hope you can find the level you need!

Thanks for the input on this korpzgrinda!!! First, I hope you enjoy your light :smiley:
I’ve been thinking about the levels “discussed” above, and I’ll probably try the 3*7135 configuration (as Jack Kellar said) with XPL-HI U6-4C, trying to see if it is lower than those 2 lumens. Not sure, but I’ll try!

Also, I don’t know how well the flashlight will work if I take more 1 chip (2*7135), but I’ll see!

Today I contacted Simon to see if he can customize the S2+ 18350 version with these specs:

- SMO reflector (that I may exchange for a pebbled TIR lens)

- XPL-HI U6-4C led

- Biscotti with 3*7135 chips (that I may turn into 2*7135, or not)

• Forward tail switch (well, to avoid the “clicking” noise during the night)

I’ve been thinking and despite I preferred the Tan or Clear version, I’ll probably opt for a regular S2+ to (probably) get what I need.
If that is not possible, I have the Jetbeam RRT01 on the way that can produce loooow lumen levels :smiley:

Thanks again on the input! I’m glad that you remebered :+1:

[BTW: for me, having this metal switch in a “forward switch” version would be… :heart_eyes: ]

Swapped the stock driver for a H17F. Very happy with the result - really low moonlight and very configurable. Only thing lacking is bi-directional level stepping.

tekwyzrd, is this the driver you used?

Absolutely yes! Silly me, I didn’t even comment on the quality of the light! I got the 18650 size with the 18350 tube added. The color is darker than some of the photos in the thread, like a grayed-out coyote brown instead of a khaki or tan. The finishing is very unique with the slightly grainy feel, as compared to the R,G,B varieties. I will eventually try some TIR optics in it. Thank you, by the way, for mentioning that Simon could possibly make a variety pack of TIR lenses. I haven’t inquired yet, but I will some time in the future.

This one came with a SMO reflector, but I replaced it with an OP that I had leftover from a gray S2+ that I converted into a triple. This made the hotspot much more fuzzy around the edges, which I greatly prefer. It probably reduces the throw by some, but I just like my beams with soft edges unless it is specifically for throw.

Eheh, glad you like it!! It is really hard to see the “true” colour of the light until you get it in the hands! And when you have it…you won’t let it go !!
I just have 2 black S2+ and the Desert Tan, but I guess there is a difference in touch! The DT is really great, and on the 18350 version… :open_mouth:

Hum, I guess Simon will probably sell a pack with different lenses, not all the same type! On AliExpress you also have other stores that have nice TIRs.
And I agree, the beam with the OP reflector is quite nice, a bit larger for sure, but seems more more intense too!
All and all, great light :slight_smile:
Thanks again :+1:

Yes, that’s the one. Purchased there too.

It might be cheaper shipping if you contact DrJones directly since he’s in Germany.

Thanks for confirming! I guess I’ll have to invest more in some drivers than in lights from now on :smiley:
I just hope that shipping from MTN (USA) is not hugely expensive, otherwise I may not be able to get those :person_facepalming:

Thanks again! :+1:

As I said, since DrJ is located in Germany shipping would probably be cheaper. I purchased 2 lucidrv drivers direct and shipping was very reasonable even to the usa.

Fwiw, I increased the wires from 24 awg (stock) to 22 awg (no spring bypass) and though it gets hot quick on upper levels low levels are still very low. The ramping level setting and configurable number of levels still make the lucidrv one of my favorite firmwares.

If you do order from mtnelectronics go for the spring option.

Hum, the thing is DrJones hasn’t been active for a while here, so I don’t have way to contact him.
I also want to buy other drivers from MTN so I’ll probably try to check that on their site. Here in Europe I don’t know where to get drivers like these, but I confess I didn’t search much…

One question: you’re using this driver with which LED on the S2+? Are you using multiple emitters or an XPL-HI?

(BTW, the question is just to perceive which LEDs can I use with this driver, as I’m staring to perceive that some can burn depending on the drivers used!)

Thanks in advance :+1:

I’m using it with the stock xpl hi emitter but i have no doubt it will work great with multiple emitters.

Nice :sunglasses: I didn’t want to use multiple emitters, so the stock XPL-HI will do :wink:
Thanks for clarifying :+1:

I have a simple S2 Convoy + with 4x7135 as EDC, and now I’d like to try the Desert Tan for use on long distances.
But I don’t know what to select 4x7135 or 6x7135 - as far as the distance will be more longer with 6x7135, than with 4x7135?
Maximum working time not interest for me.

Then just get 8x7135. You can always drop to a lower output mode when needed.

+1

Has anyone received any of the tan lights from Gearbest? They were listed a couple of months ago and I won one in a sponsored giveaway, but it’s never shipped. The shipping date for the .SKU is constantly being pushed back to the next day…

https://www.gearbest.com/led-flashlights/pp_724948.html