XHP-70 in an S2+

This is a mod that Old-Lumens said he would like to see me do.

It consists of an S2+ with one of my single emitter copper heatsinks with retaining ring, a P2 1C XHP-70 on a 20mm sinkpad that I machined down to 16mm, a 17mm mtn fet+1 re-flashed with the latest Bistro, a UCL lens, and two AW 18350 IMR’s.

The vertex of the reflector needed to be enlarged slightly to accommodate the dome of the XHP-70, and while it was in the mill I also machined the profile for more clearance of the wires, though this wasn’t necessary. A small part of the sinkpads traces needed to be scrapped off so that it wouldn’t short on the 0-80 socket cap screws of my heatsink. The tail spring is of course bypassed. The batteries fit fine in the light with a short brass positive contact button.

I think the reflector should be shortened a bit so that the XHP-70 sits more forward. Not entirely sure without doing lux tests. The center of the hotspot is a bit dim, as expected from the quad die.

We can expect less run time than a triple with an 18650 would provide, but possibly more output initially?

I’ll get some outdoor beamshots later.

Like!!!

I just finished another one. Near identical but I used an LD-4B, two Bestfire 1100 30A 18350, same sinkpad (MtnE) 2P 1C, no spring on driver but instead used one of those Jaxman 18650 PCB with short springs on both sides. It acts as an insulator plus connector. Definately make you laugh on turbo. It is an excellent mod in XHP50 also. I had to mark the tube so I did not forget it was serious only! Sorry but I forgot (seriously) who I got the pill from? Please keep making them.

I wonder if OL would like to have one? I would be more than happy to send him one….or parts so he can make it. (driver, connector, batts, emitter, and host from me)

Super hoop!
I’m going to have to order some XHP in all three sizes to try out. The 35 would rock in that host except for the 12V problem.

I too have been wanting to try this. Very interested in seeing some beamshots :sunglasses: :+1:

Love the mod Hoop and the thought behind the build. lt will be a real pocket rocket. :slight_smile:

Nice, been thinking about something like this for a while, was just concerned about the beam profile of the XHP. I have an S6 with an MT-G2 that i really like.

Wear Gloves—I put a XHP 50 in the same setup—heats up way too fast

…but it does make a monster pocket rocket! Just don’t let anyone get their hands on it. lol

add note: I sent PM to OL and hope he wishes to have similar light. I will gladly send to him. I really think he would get great pleasure and humor from it. Sorry for the interruption HOOP

I’d say the beam profile is pretty good and I have no complaints about the tint. There is a dimmer central spot, but no hole. At about 4 meters it’s pretty subtle on a white wall. Have to move the beam around to notice it. Outdoors it’s probably unnoticeable. Waiting for dark…

It’s good for 30 seconds on turbo before it’s a bit hot.

Looking forward to beamshots as well.

Bob

Well my beamshots weren’t so great tonight. It’s raining so I couldn’t set up the tripod, and the shots I took don’t really portray the beam realistically. Earlier in the evening I had taken it out and wasn’t too impressed. The dim spot in the center seemed more noticeable outside than indoors. I recharged the batteries though and the results were much better. The dim spot isn’t so noticeable outdoors on fresh batteries, and it is quite bright…. I do not have a triple to compare with side by side at the moment. From memory I’d say the xhp-70 is floodier, and at least similarly bright.

Nice…very nice!

You can always diffuse the dome slightly with some 1000-1500 wet sand paper—the lumen loss is around 10% — not sure on the throw because I went from shaved dome to diffused

What do you think about XHP-70 in Convoy M1 or M2 host?

Like a Shelby Cobra, big motor and small body. Nice build.

Wow… very nice! I never cease to be amazed. :+1:

I put an MT-G2 in a Convoy M2 ― I like it a lot but it gets hot REALLY fast at 100%.

The most time-consuming part of the build was widening the hole in the reflector to fit the larger emitter.

i dont think the mechanical Switch can handle that current

LOL, I’ve got a small Omten handling 21.1A in a Quad Nichia 219C arrangement that makes some 4200 lumens. The switch can handle it.

Bypass with a through-board style such that a wire runs from the switch to the top of the spring, this will keep the spring from collapsing and the trace on the pcb from blowing.

Nice one Hoop, All the little powerhouse lights are so fun…