Convoy M2 build with MT-G2

Built this a little while ago and I’m very happy with it. It is a super-floody monster, really amazing how much of a wall of light it emits. Does get hot, though.

Empty M2 host from Simon’s shop

Host, LED, and driver (MT-G2 5000k, and MTN-17DD w/ guppydrv + Zener, both from mtnelectronics)

The business end, looking rather unbusinesslike

LED in place on the integrated shelf of the M2

Reflector in place. Carefully enlarging the hole to fit around the enormous LED was the most time-consuming part of the entire process. There’s kapton tape around the rim of the hole in the hopes of preventing a short.

Driver in place

Moonlight mode

White wall comparison with BLF X6, can you guess which is which?

In these outdoor beamshots, the treeline is ~55 meters away according to Google maps.

Control image

Manker U11 (modded w/ Nichia 219C 5000K)

AceBeam EC35 NW (XPL-HI 4000K)

BLF X6 (XPL-HI 3B)

M2 + MT-G2

I am using a pair of purple Efest 18350s. I kind of wish there was an extension tube available for this host, so I could have the option of using 2x18650 instead of 2x18350.

Taking a tailcap reading, I get just over 4A on my multimeter with fresh batteries (which would be over 32W), but I don’t have a clamp meter, and I have to imagine my leads are higher resistance than the tailcap. In any case, it gets hot really fast (less than 20 seconds to get too hot to hold). Thankfully guppydrv lets you set a thermal stepdown!

The only other downside is that guppydrv doesn’t have precisely the mode group that I think would suit this light the best. Something like ML-5–20–100% would basically be perfect.

But in any case I really like this light.

Congrats to a very nice mod.
I still love the MT-G2 and use it regularly.

How did you open the reflector, which tool did you use and how did you protect the inside?

Nice build. At 4 amps I can understand it getting hot quickly. :+1:

Thanks for the kind words.

I essentially used a drill bit as a file, holding it in one hand and the reflector in the other, gradually scraping away at the edge of the hole and stopping periodically to measure the current size of the opening. Didn’t take any special steps to protect the inside, I just used compressed air to get rid of the dust/powder that remained.

MTG2’s like to suck up power, I’d wager it’s doing more like 6-8amps without the resistance from your meter in the loop. Nice beamshots.

Ah, that sounds good. Better than filing, at least for the first part. Thx.