Convoy keychain xpe2 problem

My wife wanted a small EDC light for Christmas, so I ordered her a Convoy AAA, and she put it on her key ring.

She mostly loved it until a few days ago, she handed it to me, and complained that it was hot, and wouldn’t work. I removed the tail cap, and along with the battery, out came a small brass-looking post that looks like one end used to be soldered.

I can’t figure out how to take the thing apart, and I can’t find the order. I may have done a “checkout as guest” for some reason, so I have no idea where I bought this light, and I’m probably on my own. It doesn’t work with a fresh AAA, but now that the brass piece is out, it apparently isn’t shorted and heating up any more.

I’ve ordered a blf 348 from gearbest as a replacement, but if there are any ideas on how to repair the Convoy, I would find a use or 5 for it.

Thanks!

Hold on
OK looking at your piece it looks like some kind of solder, so I tried to pull mine out by fingers and it didn’t just come out, so I don’t know if there’s a hole under that post or not but my picture should give you an idea where it should go, now if you have a solder iron you could do a quick heat it up and set it back in place but easier said than done I bet,
Did you see my other picture showing you how to get the driver assembly out, remove bezel, and the get the reflector and driver out so you can get at what this picture is on the inside of the battery tube…

Are you on two threads ??
I answered you on one and now I have no idea where I’m at, did you see this pic I posted trying to help you out here…???

You have to remove the bezel, the rest of the head that turns is crimped onto the body, those bezels can be tight but it will come off and I don’t believe they are glued just tight, if I recall I had to even use my small half inch wide rubber strap wrench on one I took a part, good luck I’ve done a lot of those and they can be frustrating, but it will come loose eventually or you’ll quite and buy a new one… ha ha

Edit: Whoops, just happened to glance up a few posts and saw VWpieces post and thought, what? Why’s he asking that, he’s a darn good builder, and then it dawned on me, it’s not just as simple as I just said by removing the bezel, there is another bit of a trick to it as well and I had forgotten, you have to unscrew the reflector and driver assembly out of the head piece also, and that can be really fun and you really can’t see that it comes out, it looks like the reflector is set into the head but it isn’t, the very top rim of the reflector is where you want to get a hold of it, but good news is just use some needle nose pliers with some teeth on them but don’t try to grip the heck out of it, just grab it good enough to get a bit of a grip and turn it counter clockwise, like lefty loosey and the entire reflector and driver will come out, good luck… :slight_smile:
I’ll post a picture here, hold on…… OK got it for you,

Sorry about going off the subject,
top left image, third light in the background, what is that?

No need to be sorry, your not off topic, there is no topic, but to answer your question that light in the back left is a Dito Super Light Mini … ha ha Not kidding you at all, it’s right here, Dito SUPER light

Really is a cool looking light but that’s where it ends, believe me, I own I think every light they ever made and all their lights were really good looking lights but the SS made them pretty darn hard to handle once you get some horse power behind the LED, really big time finger fryers… :laughing:

https://www.aliexpress.com/store/product/DITO-LED-Flashlight-Mini-Power-Bright-CREE-3A-Flash-Light-Torches-Outdoor-Tool-Portable-Waterproof-LED/2220111_32686221699.html

this one ?

Edit : Ohh , T18 posted it already :beer:

Hey George, we are such good members, we try and help the fella out by answering his question and he leaves us in the dust, :cry:

Edit: Hum, just like the fella who asked the OP, he to just up and disappeared, maybe somebody is joking us, or me anyhow… Oh well, just trying to help out best I can, but sure am wasting a lot of time.

Maybe he will read it , maybe not .

Sure thing is you will help a lot of other people .

You helped at least me , i have this light since 11/11 offers , i like the light a lot but i don’t like it’s tint . Now it has a chance to be modded :slight_smile:

Ha Ha, yep 11/11 that is when I bought all my Dito lights also, as a matter of fact during that sale Dito had so many great looking lights that I bought one of everything they sold in their store, the box I got from them I still have pics of and was absolutely amazing, the packaging was incredible, just to bad they aren’t around anymore, maybe they moved but I can’t find them and I do think they may have gone under, but I did like all their lights for sure and mod them you beat, sooner or later is what I keep saying but right now they are in their box nice and tidy… ha ha,
You are a great guy George… I’ve appreciated many of the things you do around here, one I believe was the UT01 and 02, bought quit a few of those and I am reasonably certain that was thanks to you, I hope I’m not wrong, if so excuse me please, I am known to make mistakes, a lot of them I guess … ha ha

Exactly , even box was superb !

Thanks for your kind words too , T18 .

Your quit welcome George, seriously meant what I said, and yes that Dito company was out of this world with quality shipping and it was so obvious how hard they were working at making a good show of what kind of company they were, it’s a shame to think they might not have made it in this dog eat dog flashlight world, it’s tough on small companies like them,
Remember this note, ha ha … Talk to you again soon I hope, have a great weekend…!

I sure do and I was stunned by the huge box they sent me and all I paid was about $40usd to buy one of everything they sold including all sorts of belt clips and key rings for my lights and lanyards,

Thanks for the info T18, pity that this store is not in business any more :frowning:
When you mentioned 11/11 and when I saw their logo I remembered that I bought a bunch of pocket tools, whistles and buckles, some for $1 and some even less.
I remember they had some SS flashlights but I was too late for those, they had limited quantity, I was sad, that is all I remember :slight_smile:

I thought to get that little one from convoy, idea was to replace the led for XPG2 ~3000K maybe play with driver but now I see its pain in the back to open it, pity.

I am, but I did link my new thread in my response in the old thread about the same light. My hope was that would avoid confusion, but apparently it didn’t, sorry.

Thanks to T18, I got it disassembled. But when I tested it, it doesn’t work any more, so I’m not going to bother re-soldering the positive battery connector on the driver. Thanks for the pic, now I know where the little brass post came from.

At this point, it’s probably going into the “maybe use in a mod someday” parts bin. If I could turn it into a 10440 light, that would be cool.

This is the first problem I’ve had with a Convoy flashlight, and, of course, it was my wife’s first non-crap light (maybe). She was less than impressed, so I hope the BLF 348 gets here quick and works out better for her.

Your Welcome and ya you had me going for a minute, I’m not an expert at naviagating around these social media sorts of things so one minute I was one place and the next I am trying to dump photos in my photo dump and post them here and then I’m in some weird thread … ha ha ha, really glad to have been of some help though.

You mentioned,

Well I might have some good new for you because though mine wasn’t bought from Simon or Convoy they seem to be from the same company and looks to be the same drivers and the good news is that I have been using 10440 since the day I decided I didn’t like the white glaring tint, something like around 6700K maybe but horrid so decided I would do like your suggestion but I blow them up first, not for the fun of it but since nothing matters anymore in my mind I might as well find out just what that driver can handle and so what else do you do, throw in a 10440 and it’s been in ever since, improved the beam big time and the light I have in those pictures is really such a high quality light meaning stuff like the thickness of the SS that it really doesn’t heat up as fast as one might think normally.
The light is a Dito brand and I think they went under but if you see Dito Feng I think is the full name, I’d suggest looking at them, Oh and one last thing, I have seen countless comments on those lights that are being sold at Convoy mostly because I read the Feedback at Alie stores and been around buying there long enough that I recognize people and watch what they are buying and then what they are saying later about lights and there are more negative complaints on that particular light than any other I’ve seen, I’ve also thought knowing what LED comes with a Dito stock that someone was changing the LEDs and offering different tints, so that there may have been why there seemed to be so many negative feedback’s, look for another light like that at GearBest, they used to have them and where I bought my first one and it’s still running good, those drivers are strong, OH ONE MORE THING… ha ha, if you go Here you can buy a pocket clip for these lights, these are great and if your wife use this light it would also help to clip this maybe in here purse somewhere, just a thought put I’ve put one of these clips on most of the 100 some small pocket lights I have, way to many, but just can’t help myself I guess, score on lights bought so far this year is 32, geez… glad my wife is gone now or I wouldn’t be here I’d be in the morgue, or six ft. under for sure… :confounded:

It’s not that hard to open, you just do it, these are really great little lights frankly and worth spending the time with them,
I had that light all buttoned up tight when the other fella asked this question so it was like taking it apart for the first time again then taking and uploading the pics and I did it in less than 5 minutes, also mentioned that if you have the same driver I have in mine you can run the 10440 in these, but don’t even blame me if your driver might be different, you have to decide just how much you like that light, or not and then try the 10440 and see if what I’m saying is true, it does make it into a completely different light…
11/11 to me was epic, wow did I buy a ton of stuff, the prices at Dito were so crazy I thought someone made a mistake, so I bought as many of everything that they would allow, they did have limits set thank God or I’d have had a complete DHL truck at my door, but after I paid for everything all $30 or so I sent them a message, to clear my conscience I guess believing I may have just ripped someone off and wanted to pay up for the real price for everything I got, but nope they replied back saying to enjoy all my products and to pass the word about them, I did that in spades, but 11/11 will never leave my mind… ha ha,
I wonder what I’ll be looking at on 11/11/2017…??? Marked on my computer calendar to remind me a week in advance and everyday until 11/11 ha ha ha :laughing:

I let my Convoy fanboyism get the better of me, and didn’t check the reviews before I bought this one. I won’t buy another. Especially if I like the BLF 348 as much as I hope I do. It was out of stock when I ordered the Convoy. And the 348 says on its info page it will handle a 10440. I assume that’s how you get 500 lumens out of it.

If I don’t like the 348, the Lumintop tool is next, but then I’m probably stuck with AAAs. Bleh.

I have a lot of all of the lights you mentioned, the 348 with a 10440 will be a finger fryer in less than a minute so I use it at my work station for those times I just want a quick bright light to look at something up close, but it’s useless for anything longer than a minute or two with the 10440, the Tools are strictly AAA, if you put a 10440 in one of those it will smoke your driver quicker than you can turn it off, instant burnt out driver.
I find out which small lights like this work with what cells because most of them are fairly worthless and I always intend to mod them so I try to blow them up and every so often I find one like the one above that will actually handle the higher voltages, always a pleasant surprise, if it handles the extra power then all I do is change the lens and the LED if need be, if it’s a cold white LED I’ll even shortcut that by using this high temp plastic I found and I’ll just cut a filter like light yellow the size of the lens and insert that to tone down the white glare, anyhow, the Tools are always reliable I think, I like them for what they are, I collect copper lights so do have a lot of them and right now there’s a code going around for gearbest selling the Cu tool for under $25 instead of some of the insane prices I’ve seen, just need to hunt for a code to save some money, good luck…