Flashlight Recommendation Needed - Underground Mine Use

I posted this awhile ago over on "another forum" (I know, please forgive me), and I pose the same question here (slightly edited from original).

I am curious to hear what flashlight you all might recommend for use working underground in a limestone mine. I work as a land surveyor, but don't do any underground surveying myself. I have co-workers that survey underground and have always struggled with lighting. Basically the mine is pitch black except for the lights they carry in and use and possible a nearby diesel pickup truck's headlights. The mines tend to have "corridors" about 40 feet wide, 25 feet tall, with crossing "corridors" about every 40 feet (think 40' x 40' grid pattern). Their sight lines tend to max out around 800 feet long, but most work is probably less than 400 feet. The walls are stone, so they are not reflective at all.

I've been working with one co-worker to set him up with some inexpensive practical lighting. Runtime and weight is important (well weight can't be excessive). They are already carrying quite a bit of gear so I don't want to load them down with a lot more. They also don't need bothered with swapping out batteries every couple hours as they are already in enough of a rush to get a day's work done. Swapping mid-day should be fine. I guess a runtime of 4 to 6 hours should do. We'd need a light with really good throw (and probably even good throw on a medium setting) and it doesn't have to have too much spill, although lighting up the full width of the 40 foot wide corridor would be nice. The target they need to light up stands about 5.5 feet tall. I figure they could use a "medium" setting the majority of the time and only use "high" for those occasional long shots.

Another thought would be an area light at the instrument man's tripod to light up his general area for taking notes, and seeing all around the instrument tripod. (Second light for this use is fine.)

Mounting isn't too big a deal. I've already learned how to mount two conduit clamps back to back as a holder, although this doesn't give a whole lot of adjustment (adjusts easy one direction, but could loosen the bolt holding the two together to adjust the other direction). I've also figured out that one conduit clamp can be mounted to the top of an inexpensive camera/camcorder tripod for the ultimate in positioning (tip for the flashlight reviewers here for "beamshot" positioning). I'm picturing the lights being mounted at the instrument man's tripod and aimed to the target, but another idea could be a light closer to the target so long as it can stand and hold it's position on it's own (but then it becomes harder to turn the light off when finished sighting until it's needed again. Oh, and there will be two targets to light - one in front and one behind - so to me this makes more sense to have the light at the instrument man who can direct it and turn it off. Figure some sort of headlamps will still be used, but don't consider them for this recommendation.

The company is not going to shell out a ton of money, so these have to fit a fairly tight budget. Lights would be budget lights under say $50 (excluding batteries and charger, unless batteries are an outrageous price). The lights do NOT need to be safe for hazardous working conditions or anything. These are for limestone mines where there are no explosive gases (unlike coal mines).

We have typical "old-school" (ie. incandescent) cap lamps (mount/clip to a hardhat), but they require a large bulky battery carried on a belt. Perhaps I should look into what those batteries are and attempt some kind of LED conversion (I'm sure those batteries would give some serious runtime), although I think my co-workers would like not to have to carry that battery. Also, because a surveying instrument man has to wear a hardhat backwards (in order to put their eye up to the scope), they can't use a typical cap lamp.

My co-workers are also using some typical sporting goods store headlamps (+/- 60 lumen rated) and just recently 2 Coleman Max Bubba 6AA lights.

Any ideas? I'm not against doing a "mod" to get what we need, so long as the mod is fairly simple (ie. a 2D Maglite with a DX XM-L dropin running on (2) 5,500mAh 32650's).

Garry

If I was going in a mine I would wear an Ultrafire UFH3 clipped to my shirt an carry a KDC8.

You will need some quality 18650 batteries and a charger with a DC input so you can charge them from a truck.

http://kaidomain.com/product/details.S009844

http://kaidomain.com/product/details.S009820

If you want to use standard AA batteries you I would go with an Ultrafire UFH2 and an Ultrafire MCU-C88.

http://kaidomain.com/product/details.S010212

http://kaidomain.com/product/details.S009365

Spark headlamps might be worth a look though the range requirement more or less requires a short runtime. They do some quite powerful headlamps with a tight beam.

But this is a $90 light.

I'd second the UF-H3. On its lowest level (Which is very little light) it will run for a week and will give enough light for seeing the immediate area. It can be worn on a headband or clipped somewhere suitable.

For the longer range light You are looking at something like a Uniquefire HS-801/802, the RQ clone of the Raidfire Spear though I can't find it on the new KD website. Or one of the Solarforce throwers.

This two are good options for work up to 400 feet.

http://www.intl-outdoor.com/shadow-cree-xml-jm07-1x26650-flashlight-p-234.html

http://www.intl-outdoor.com/shadow-xml-jm07-pro-1x26650-flashlight-p-137.html

With a MNKE 4000mAh IMR battery, lots of capacity and need no worry about current drain.

http://www.intl-outdoor.com/mnke-26650-4000mah-liion-battery-p-223.html

Im going with Hikelite on this one. I think an XML would be great for in mine use. Did the price go up on those because I dont remember it being 50 bucks?

Well they are under $50, exactly $49.50, so they couldn't go up from $50

I rounded up to $50. Seemed like one of those was $39 when I first looked at them.

Edit- it was neither of those. This is the one I was looking at--

http://www.intl-outdoor.com/shadow-jm05-t6-26650-800-lumens-fashlight-p-212.html

No, there's another one using 26650 battries, the JM05 that it's $39, Sold Out. 2100 bought one.

http://www.intl-outdoor.com/shadow-jm05-t6-26650-800-lumens-fashlight-p-212.html

LOL, yep we posted at the same time. Shame its sold out.

I don't think you will need a high lumen monster, as there will be zero ambient light to compete with and your irises will be fully dilated . I would look at a 2D mag led. The new ones will have an xre emitter and they have both throw and flood. They have long run times on the D- cells and are super durable for the mining environment. Cheap and cheap safe batteries.

(did I really just recommend a mag? I am going to lie down....)

Ok, I find it interesting to be recommended a MAG LED. I've read up on them becoming dimmer the longer they run due to heat. This is why I was thinking a modded Mag with a drop-in (but then lose the flood -> throw). A 2D Mag is probably getting a little big to be held in place by a conduit clamp on a camera tripod, but it might work. I would expect the current Coleman Max Bubba's are blowing away the Mag LED's, but I've never seen a Mag LED in person. I did personally borrow and test one of the Colemans. It really throws well, but it's a very tight narrow beam.

I was looking at that JM05, and JM07 myself. I even found a really nice (2) 26650 cell Shadow W26 (think that's right) also at Int-Outdoor, but it's been out of stock and removed from the website.

I have a KD C8 on order (painfully patiently waiting) and intend to lend it to the crew to test with. I also have a DX XM-L drop-in coming to drop in a 2D Mag. I'll only have 18650's to run it on for now, but they can test that one too. I am wondering if this modded MAG running (2) 32650's may be the way to go. Would be nice to upgrade the Mag in a way to keep the Flood-to-throw adjustment. Only easy way I know is to drop a TerraLux TLE-6EXB in it. Reviews seem ok on the newest version of this, but I'm not sure on continuous use, and it's only 140 lumens. Of course it's only $15 to try it out. They could even get some D NiMh's for it.

The more I see that Ultrafire UFH3 the more I like it and see use for it. What is it's runtime on high though?

For an "area light" I tried looking at camping lantern type lights, but they get too big or bulky for decent output I think.

More suggestions?

Thanks,
Garry

Just to your information, the UF-H3 does not take protected 18650 as they are too long for this light, maybe that is a con for you.

Yeah, I'd like to stick to protected cells. I want to keep it simple. Heck, even using alkalines or NiMh's versus Lithium-ion would be preferred, but I expect to need the lithium for the power and runtime.

Garry

Anyone used a Terralux TLE-6EX(B)? I'm interested to hear about it's throw and flood and how well the Mag focusing works with it.

Garry

A modded mag would do the job on alkalines, and have great runtime. If a D is to big, could always do a C mag. Gonna take a decent size light to do that much runtime, and also be heatsinked well enough for constant use. You will never miss the flood to throw. Cheapest, best option in my opinion.

U_235,
What kind of mod were you thinking? The Terra Lux? The XM-L drop-in? You say alkalines, but I know the XM-L drop-in won’t run on 2 alkalines, not even 3 (at least not up to par unless the driver kept it under-driven).
Garry

The UF-H3b I got from DD goupbuy beg to differ. It works flawlessly with protected TF Flames.

I don't really know what it is like working in a mine - but this is by far my favorite work light. The head rotates, tilts and zooms. It has 2 levels, a strong magnet and the clamp is also strong.

I bought 2 from wal mart on line, $15 each. Looks like it is no longer available online. Unfortunately it is $25 in store around here.

I might buy another to modify to xml (already gifted one) but will keep my current one stock because it is almost too bright for closeup work (like say under a sink) on low.

Only complaints: it is a little heavy (but at least not flimsy), white wall beamshots aren't real pretty w/ that focusable lens (but I've never noticed when actually using the light) and it feels odd in your hand until you realize it was made to have your fingers in between the clamp and handle, not wrapped around the whole thing...

Im thinking more like an aluminum heatsink with several possibilities for drivers and led combos. Not a big fan of the terralux for several reasons, one being heatsinking. Much more light and better thermal management and tint plus cheaper if you build it. Maybe 20 bucks in parts to build one. A 3 cell mag is perfect for this, I have made a bunch in different configs and all work great. Almost everyone who sees it wants one. Can do it on a 2 cell but will either sacrifice runtime,output or both. Some people on forums make it sound as though everything that is not driven to its max is not good. There are many reasons why not pushing an led to its max is good, like heat, runtime and longevity. An xml at 1 to 1.5 amps in a nice big reflector like a mag is very impressive. I have an xpg in a 3 cell mag driven at 900ma and it throws like crazy. If you have not used a well focused xpg in a mag you would be impressed. An xml will be brighter and still throw well but have a much bigger hotspot and more spill which might be useful. All depends on what you need.

dthrckt,

I don't see any specs on that Black & Decker. What kind of output? What kind of runtime on those 3AA's? In looking at that link I also spotted this Stanley: http://www.amazon.com/Stanley-95-891-Heavy-Clamp-Light/dp/B002NW9MQQ/ref=pd_sim_sbs_hi_9. 80 Lumens for 15 hours on 2 C cells or 30 hours on 4 C cells. I don't know if it's even LED, but I guess it has to be for those runtimes at those Lumens. These definitely are not the throwers, but good area lighting. By the way, we bought this for an area light: http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1v/R-202977268/h_d2/ProductDisplay?langId=-1&storeId=10051&catalogId=10053 but it absolutely sucks! It's nearly useless in a dark room in a house, let alone in a mine! It did come with the perfect clamp system which we have used on other lights.

As far as the modded Mag goes, sounds like the simple DX drop-in is the best route (though requires Lithium-ion cells). I'd like to stick to a 2C or 2D size as I think a 3 cell is getting too big.

Thanks for suggestions,
Garry