Fireflies E07 preview

Well I guess we will have to wait and see… of this will become a thing yet, so far nitecore TM10K is the only flashlight with non replaceable battery that I know of .But I read now it has a normal 21700 cell. anyway They claim they get more power out of it of having it irreplaceable.

@Ekstasis, what Nitecore is saying is absolute crap.

Not only is the Samsung 48G 21700 a 10A cell in a 30A light, meaning they cut costs, but the 30mOhm contact thing is quite crap.

There have been sub 10mOhm springs for a while now. They just wanted to justify putting a non replaceable incapable cell inside of a flashlight for cost-cutting and profit making.

The 40T wasn’t out yet when they made they made the TM10T. This is the problem with irreplaceable cells. The P42A cell that was recently released would have been perfect for this light.

People are not dumb and don’t mind built-in battery for devices below 40$ but when they are seeking durability for devices that are above 100$, generally people are thinking twice before buying it. For someone who is following the e-cigarettes trend, it’s all the more obvious. Things/trends are moving faster than on the flashlight market. There is a bunch of small and med size devices with built-in battery but most generally with a much lower price than bigger, more powerfull devices with built-in batteries, which are rarer.
Removable 18650/21700 battery’s devices are plethoric.

Nitecore could have weld (tab) this new battery in a sealed flashlight. Why didn’t they ? Probably because of complains from enthousiasts about the previous version or because they know that a built-in battery for devices with a significant price is still “shooting a bullet in the foot” when competitors don’t generalize it also.

EDIT : Sorry, I pictured it differently in my mind and thought you were saying that the new one will work with a removable battery.

i thought gold doesn’t oxidize. why not use it?

That’s not the problem.

Trying to push 30A through springs is a very, very difficult task.

Honestly, I have to say Nitecore was both lazy, greedy, and impatient in this regard.

Why? While they are right in regards that the springs would oxidize, they didn’t tell why

Well, at 30A, any normal spring would melt pretty much instantly.

Here’s the thought process Nitecore probably had:

1. Let’s use gold plated steel springs. Oh no, they failed at 6A.
2. Let’s use gold plated dual steel springs. Oh no, they failed at 9A.
2. Let’s use dual phosphor bronze springs. Oh no again, they failed at 18A of continuous use.
4. Well, nothing on the market actually exists that can handle the load of a 100-120W light running off of a single cell.
Let’s put a 10A cell in a 30A flashlight and weld nickel plated copper strips instead.

If the engineers, or rather, Nitecore, actually put in effort into designing adequate contacts, they should’ve just looked at BLF and see what members cooked up in spring design.

They could’ve used dual gold plated BeCu C17500 springs, and they would’ve worked quite well if they had waited for a 25-30A cell.

um, yeah. that’s what i said…the good thing is now i know why i said it. i can’t believe the wealth of info you guys have trapped in your minds…

Well, you’re right.

The gold plating doesn’t oxidize. It’s just that the springs fails first :slight_smile:

Why do people always think conventional?
You just need not the spring to conduct the current!
just use the spring to push the contact against the battery, you could use the same sort of contact like for spotwelding just with a bit raised button

Lumintop did it here

But wasn’t there a bunch of lights that failed in that run? Wasn’t it the Odl20c?

Or use a springless contact. Like DQG.
In a constant-length light that doesn’t need daily cell swaps (like that Nitecore) one could use a contact screw.

BTW I haven’t seen that Lumintop contact. Looks like a professionally done spring bypass. :slight_smile:

some pictures of my copper E07 in the german forum:

https://www.taschenlampen-forum.de/threads/fireflies-e07-copper-titanium.69805/

It’s nice to have the thread back on track with your CuTi E07 pictures but without a TLF account we can only see thumbnails.

ok, I will load the pictures in a cloud and will publish it direct in this forum……Sorry

@Lexel, I do know about leaf spring contacts.

I’m just saying Nitecore should’ve used a better solution than making an unreplaceable cell pack.

I have zero interest in this Cu/Ti E07 after being totally disappointed in the D4 Cu/Ti. The D4 gets blaz'n hot in a couple seconds - pretty useless unless you got thermal protective gloves to operate the thing with. Sure, copper is great for thermal transfer, but there's gotta be a better way to use it, like wrapped in aluminum maybe, I dunno....

CRX has wrapped his triple in titanium. Which didn’t work well. Then he replaced that with carbon fibre and is happy with the result.

ichoderso,

They are beautiful and great pics! Thank for going through the effort of posting them here!

Cheers! :beer: :+1: