Review: Wurkkos TS25 updated with Production Model Aux info

agree… I think there will be some fine tuning to bring the aux and button function in line with more standard Anduril 2 RGB controls.

I just removed the bezel and confirmed the LEDs are 5000K 519a. The color rendering is top notch, particularly in regard to Red, far superior to LH351D

I would not call this a Very Floody beam, it is more like a Carclo Narrow Clear, that throws a more concentrated beam of light. Not what a carclo wide frosted beam would do, which is what I mean by very floody… try looking at the beam profile in the first photo to get a sense of what I mean.

As far as water resistance, I would not volunteer to drop any light into hydraulic fluid… this one does have O ring seals, but they are not double, like in actual dive lights. I have not looked at how the button is installed, I do not know how it might be sealed. Bezel does have an O ring that presses on the optic, plus another O ring at the bottom of the bezel threads…

Regarding pocket clip, there is a groove for one, hopefully a suitable clip can be sourced. I do think a clip is a very important option, to clip to a belt. Else a Holster for that purpose.

5000K 519a :+1: It is the LED I asked for, and I confirmed it is what I received.

You cant tell from the photo, but with my eyes I could see the little corner marking that I look for to ID 519a. I compared them to an LH351d I had just removed from an SC21, which has an obviously larger dome, that extends almost to the outer edges of the die. The domes on the 519a are a little smaller.

I suggest you contact Wurkkos to offer your help with the Aux and Button light coding :wink:

I do not know if the Aux lights have LVP, do you know? I think yes because iirc the RGB Aux should have LVP. Can you confirm? The present Aux configuration is not yet using standard Anduril coding, but I was told that is the intention for the next revision.

First of all, thank you for the review!

I did, some time ago. No direct response, but I should receive one intended for a review today. Sadly it comes without flashing pads AFAIK. Also the firmware modifications of Anduril by Wurkkos are not made public (required by GPL license). I assume that they have injected a full new aux implementation into the code, bypassing everything from Anduril. Hopefully it’s no hardware implementation (that would be really scary). So when I have received it, I will take some photos and measurements and then start disassembling/destroying it. :frowning:

correct, there are no flashing pads

Im sure you will be able to figure out the Aux config… Wurkkos Wants to make them Anduril compliant… I think they just hack the Aux for prototyping, because they dont know how to do it properly, yet.

Im sure your help will be very valuable, I hope you connect with someone that can appreciate your skills and solve the Aux config challenges.

truth be told, I just turn the Aux off… It was a fun affair, but the thrill is gone… LOL

I care more about Sustainable Output, and High CRI. I do not use Turbo, and dont really need Aux. The one feature I most want, is for the button light to just stay on all the time.

Thanks for the feedback. In the end I’ll probably still buy one because it looks like a nice light to add to the collection.
Wurkkos has been coming out with a some good lights for a good price.

As for work, I can always stick with the Convoys. There cheap, fairly durable, and if I break it I can always repair it.

I’m wondering if this has any battery drain issues that plagued the TS21.

too soon to tell
the present batch uses Aux firmware that is not the final version

we have to wait for the Production run,
it will use different Aux firmware than the small batch test run

The main LEDs are very nice, and Anduril 2 is fully functional for the main LEDs. Im very pleased with the 519a 5000K color rendering and neutral Tint Duv.

I also like the size and form factor in hand. And the button works very well for me…

btw, there is a feature I just learned. The button light changes color as the battery drains… Once the battery gets low, I will be able to observe if the Aux lights turn off by LVP. I expect they will.

AFAIK the LVP bug has been fixed in Anduril
the other issue is for the Aux to last a long time, in On condition as a locator, they need to be very dim… Only bright enough to see in the dark.

Aux lights that are visible during the day, have short battery life.

High levels of Aux brightness are not practical to be left on 24/7, even w LVP

I expect the Production run will have the ability to dim the Aux so they last a long time. I also expect LVP is already working in the TS25 I have now.

Thanks to the magnet, I have it attached to some metal above my sink, with the Red Aux On… When I walk through the house turning off the lights before bed, I should be able to see the flashlight at the ready…

when the Aux turn off, in a few weeks maybe, I will be able to check the battery voltage to confirm LVP

maybe someone with a bench power supply will confirm LVP works, sooner

Did some measurements yesterday. With aux off it needs 0.09 mA, with aux on depending on color 9 to 25 mA.

The current version might not have LVP for the aux LEDs because it doesn’t use Anduril to control them.

Great info, I will check voltage on the one Im running on Red Aux 24/7… maybe 7 days to drain the cell… My brain is the LVP for the light. :partying_face:

If you figure out how to reflash the TS25 to the updated firmware from gchart, I will be interested to copy you.

Got some schematics from Wurkkos. Looks like aux LEDs in the first batch of TS25 are controlled by hardware, not by the microcontroller that runs Anduril.

Thank you very much…

btw, I found the drain for the Red Aux and calculate it will last 13 days… will keep an eye on it with daily battery voltage checks…

I will just turn the Aux off when not under daily supervision, to eliminate any risk of overdischarge…

btw, the button light changes from Green to Red when voltage goes below 3.6V:

13 days? What a bummer.

I also don’t like the button stick out. Does it turn on when you lay it flat down on the table and press on the backside?

this is a prototype, the Aux lights will use Anduril 2 on the production model, which allows a lower brightness on Aux

I like that the button sticks out so I can feel it in the dark.

if you are worried about false activation while carrying the light, I suggest you use physical lockout

Thanks for the review. I’m confused about some of the comments regarding the aux light and button indicator. Are they tied together - like if you disable the aux lights, you also disable the button indicator?

I like to have a low-current button indicator LED on/flash so I can find it in the dark. I don’t need to overly drain the batteries with aux lights though, so I’d like to have the aux off but button indicator on. Is that how the TS25 works? Or…will work?

Possibly yes… cant say for sure until we see the next batch,

neb_77

Nice to read your post, finally, someone who needs a flashlight
for practical reasons! Not to collect, not for geeking, not
for lumens, not for looks, not for specs and not for modding,
but because the job needs light.

Sofirm asked me, why do you need a magnet cap? Other vendors are
surprised when lumens, throw and bright hotspots are downplayed.
One common refrain, “What do you want?

The focus on big lumens, long distances, titanium builds and
military posturing often have very little practical impact;
when working on a CNS machine or reading in bed.

BLF has been helpful, for example, in reaching you. but limited.
The technology framework is built for social threading, “what
movie did you watch last night,” sales events and headline activity;
at the expense of; search, common interests and best practices.

BLF is overwhelmingly focused on the hobby, design, mod and in
developing social dynamics, which clearly serves a need. The overlap
with engineering threads can be helpful but requires time to plow
through. Great for flashlight geeks - not so much for tool and
job based needs.

Would have been more appropriate to post this in an open thread
but, am far more interested in knowing models have “worked”
well for you and those which you are considering?

Update, first impressions

I received the Production TS25 and tested the Red Aux drain. There are now two brightness levels, a flashing mode, and off.

The TS25 power button does not have any locator light while off, nor while on. This makes me sad, hopefully someone can build a hex to turn the button locator light on, since there are now 3 flashing pads.

I physically confirmed that the flashing adapter that gchart sells for SP10 Pro, fits the TS25 perfectly.

The TS25 power button does not turn on in red or green the way the prototype did. I dont mind, since Im used to using normal Anduril battery check, 3C from off.

afaict so far
In the production model the only time the button light turns on, is during charging, it blinks blue… charging is not finished, so I cant confirm what the button LED does then, yet.

charging finished, the button light became solid blue. A few more updated details:

Sadly the button LED cannot be enabled with a firmware update because it’s probably not connected to the MCU that runs Anduril. Wurkkos had some difficulties figuring out how to wire everything and how to configure the firmware, I didn’t have the firmware they used previously and with many people involved the production started without this feature.

thanks for your insights… oh well… This production model is a definite improvement, glass lens, hi/low Aux, pocket clip.

I also think it is great that it ships w 5000K 519, and that the bezel is relatively easy to open. So people not set up for modding, still have the option to learn to dedome if they want to change to warmer output.

The lack of button indicator is too bad, but hopefully Wurkkos is learning more about how to improve their product offerings.

I tested the low red Aux last night by my bed. They are visible, and not too bright, when the room is dark. imo they could actually be brighter by about 4x, not sure exactly. But I would not expect any more changes at this point. This production model is probably the final iteration…

I do like the form factor, and the tailmagnet is useful for holding the light in various places around the house, top of fridge, under a cabinet… etc. The optic produces a nice smooth diffused beam that is good as a work light, and close range floody beam, without hotspot glare.

The built in charging is also convenient, and many newbies ask for that feature lately. It means it is not necessary to buy a charger, if this is an entry level LiIon light for someone that is not set up to charge LiIon separately.

The built in charging creates options to gift the light as a complete turnkey package, that does not require opening the light to maintain the battery.

Overall I would say the TS25 is a convenient package, with great primary LEDs. The Aux are fun, but do not serve as secondary illumination. Because the aux are blocked by the Tir, the beam they produce cannot be used for practical applications, such as seeing the ground for walking. Otoh, they make some pretty multi petaled mandalas, for disco parties :wink:

With the given currents for the aux LEDs the durations for the battery to drain are wrong. Assuming a 5000mAh 21700:

5000mAh/.27mA = 18519h = 772 days = 2.11 years
5000mAh/11mA = 455h = 19 days
5000mAh/7.4mA = 675h = 28 days

Edit: I think you first calculated for a month, but forgot to divide by a factor ca. 30 (days in a month), then calculated the first one dividing by 12 to get years, as all are the same factor ca. 30 off.