BTU Shocker - 6 x 18650 carrier and battery tube kit?

You can see the archived poll results on the Wayback Machine:

https://web.archive.org/web/20221220093741/https://budgetlightforum.com/t/-/72654

Since the BTU Shocker is probably the all time best value of LED long throwing lights with good spill (and with huge mod potential), what do others think about an inexpensive kit to expand its capabilities?

A 3S2P carrier could easily be built with a longer battery tube and shouldn’t cost to much to make. I know a forward electronic switch would be much more convenient, but then we would be talking about a whole new light with a different driver, which probably isnt going to happen any time soon.

Maybe we could ask Ric or another vendor to inquire.

Id sure be in for one or more. What do others think?

Runtime?

More powaahh!

Ok, runtime is needed too. It would also contribute to a more balanced light with more weight at the back.

It really depends on price and looks. Im certainly interested. Voted yes. :)

Perhaps a 4s and/or 4s2p?

I'd be on board with that! More power for more time... this light has plenty of surface area and mass to take the heat.

Well, if we're going to be impractical, then I vote for a 3S2P 26650 battery tube.

In case you're being serious, you're talking about changing the voltage and battery tube diameter.

Iirc 4 just barely don’t fit. Slight notches in the tube should work? I was more leaning toward the whole setup being optimal for a driver swap and 4.5-5A per emitter constant regulation, and better run time with the extension.

If that doesn’t jive I’m down for the 3s2p kit as well. :slight_smile:

Hhhmmm... Sounds interesting. 3S2P would be the way to go. Percentage wise, not much added weight . 6 Pana PF's in the direct drive configuration might just make the 5.5-6A I would get with 3 Sam 20R's, maybe?

I think it would, plus three times the runtime!

How would you get 3S2P in a 3+3 layout like that? A one-piece carrier, with the rear 3's + brought to the front and the front 3's - taken to the back?

The only thing that I don’t buy this light….

I need 4s1p battery setup or anyway that there is enough Vin > Vf to maintain better regulate.

If it's easier, I'd be okay with 3S3P too. :D

That’s it… super simple and easy. It would be like stacking two BTU carriers on top of each other and sharing the middle contact plate. Springs and contacts would remain intact on either side of the center plate to allow the same flexibility of different sized cells that the current BTU now enjoys. If beryllium copper springs and contacts were used, along with heavy copper traces, half the work involved in a mod would disappear.

Its too bad they didn’t make the threads the same on each side of the tube or Id just screw two together and build my own carrier. Balance would be about perfect in the 6-up configuration.

Here’s a pic with stacked BTU battery tubes.

Convoy C8 on left, BTU center, TK70 right.

We need to make this happen. That is sexy.

Well, maybe not so simple. There'd have to be two separate conductors, one in each section. 2S3P or 6S would be easy (though not usable, electrically), 3S2P much more complicated.

So, 3S3P then?

32650?

Three simple parallel carriers end-to-end, with the stock voltage but 3x the capacity. It'd end up a little longer than a 3D Mag or thereabouts?

It could be wired for 12.6V with some pre-thought and be a swappable part without additional mods. I just send Ric an email and asked him to join the discussion.

Where is the “I’d buy two” option, because I would.

If there is one thing my shockerVN is needing it’s more runtime.

You guys are silly with your more voltage options. It just needs more rumtime.