12,500 feet down to Titanic - and missing

There is a “tour” deep sea submersible that takes adventures down to the Titanic.
It’s missing.
Panic City! Makes me shudder just thinking about it.

I would not be caught (alive or dead) taking that trip.
Not to mention the trip costs $250,000.

3 Thanks

Same here.
I wouldn’t go if they paid ME $250,000. :money_mouth_face:

1 Thank

“Bolts applied from the outside, so even if they rose to the surface, they couldn’t escape.”

Wtf?!? So even if they popped the cork and floated to the surface, if no one could find them, let alone get to them, they could still choke.

Yeah, that’s a Mr Ballen video right there…

1 Thank

yes, it’s reminiscent of those round the world yacht races. People (millionaires) get into trouble down near the antarctic and race organisers demand that governments send help immediately to the cost of millions to taxpayers. Here it is again. The rescue / rescue attempt cost will be huge - this business and it’s clients should be made to pay insurance to cover these rescues. Wait till folk (the wealthy elite) start having trouble in space!

5 Thanks

They have about two more days of oxygen. Still some chances of discovery and survival. These millionaires/adventurers just like to take extraordinary trips.

This is the first time this tour was organized?
There were other successful tours already?

The Oceangate trips to the Titanic are relatively new… Here's What We Know About OceanGate's Sub That Tours Titanic—Using 1 Button

1 Thank

The experts say: if they’re not at or near the surface, they’re toast. There’s basically no way to find them in time and even if they are found today at seabed-level there’s no way to attach a cable or something to the sub in time and pull them up.

1 Thank

You’d think they had some safety system in place? Like emergency distress call or something? How did the support ship lost track/contact? There’s hardlines for comm and data to the submersible. Did those break?Maybe they’re not telling us something? It may have been a total failure of the pressure vessel with no time to call for help. At hose depths, even a pin hole failure in the pressure vessel causes a nearly immediate implosion. I think this is a good reminder of why we have explored more of the moon than the bottom of the ocean. Basically whether its space or 12,500 feet down, any mishap, even slight, and you’re toast. It’s just a really bad place for humans. Bottom line, money can buy you an epic adventure, but it can’t save you in the end.

You can’t really have a 4km+ long communication line with you, not at these depths.
The evil trinity for submersible crafts is fire, hull failure and entanglement. The sub they were in had detachable ballast weights and other means to resurface in an emergency and it’s a very bad sign that none of that seems to have worked.

2 Thanks

entire ocean floor has microphones, spread by usn to spy for russian subs, ( usn fooled russian for decades, having them think we locate their subs from helicopter’s dropping sonobuoys ) if the submersible implodes, or explodes, they could be able to hear it.

By all accounts I’m reading the design of the sub and the operational procedures were bonkers and disaster inevitable.

"“There’s no backup, there’s no escape pod,” Pogue told the BBC. “It’s get to the surface or die.”

Pogue said that he was hesitant about getting into the submersible in November because the equipment on board appeared to be “improvised” and “off the shelf.”

“You steer this sub with an Xbox game controller, some of the ballast is abandoned construction pipes,” Pogue told the BBC."

Out in the vacuum of space, at most you experience -1atm if you vent.

Down under 2nahalf MILES of water on top of you, that’s like a billion atm or whatever, if you “vent”.

An elephant stepping on a katchup packet is about what’d happen.

2 Thanks

Seems that the owners were warned by experts in the submersible industry that their craft was unsafe in many ways. Yet they went ahead and took paying passengers into the hazards of the deep ocean. They won’t be insurable after this, and there may be criminal as well as civil legal actions.

The articles I was going to link all seem to have paywalls, but the story is that the company fired their director of marine operations after he filed a report severely critical of the safety systems and the carbon fiber hull of the craft. The company has apparently stated that the craft was not using the carbon fiber hull on this dive. In any case, you can’t help but wonder if the passengers (which include the CEO of the submersible company) were fully aware of the risks they were undertaking.

1 Thank

Seems like a poor risk/reward ratio.

I imagine most folk who pay for these things are just there for the selfies, effectively. It’s like having a picture of themselves on top of everest; of course all the porters and infrastructure involved to get them there are not in frame.