[2019-01-02] A quick reminder about signatures

Don’t you know that Internet is ruled by the Freedom Country ? Bible quotes are universal man, get over it or they’ll teach you to run faster than bullets !
Yeehaw !

That’s already been made available. You know how to find this stuff. You just need to know the magic word: “uncluttering”

https://www.google.com/search?client=firefox-b-1-ab&q=site%3Abudgetlightforum.com+uncluttering

That’s rather like one of the high points of the Usenet pre-WWW, the “killfile” — a tool that made it it the responsibility of the irritated to choose not to see whatever set them off.

“Doctor, I can’t help but flame when I see X”
“Then stop seeing X”

Not yet.
SB requests us to take note of the rules and decide ourselves.

Hmmm… That could be handy for when you’re on a smart phone too.
Save some much needed screen space.

I’m not sure which signatures on BLF trigger the ‘offended’.
But as long as they’re not attacking or flaming people, i don’t think it’s justified to deem it inappropriate.
But then still, there are limits to what is acceptable.
Quoting John 3:16 would be over the limit i.m.o., because it can be taken as implying judgement over a large group of people (rather than salvation of a not so large group of people (although interpretations vary about the ultimate size of that group of people)
Quoting a bit of Biblical theology about Christ being the Light (and the darkness not comprehending it (depending on the translation)) does no such thing.

Your signature, Dave, can be considered problematic too by today’s ‘feelings over facts’ standards.

My posts here in this topic can be considered problematic too, i guess…
Crazy times.

Someone said:
“1984 (the book by George Orwell) is not a warning, it’s a manual.”

:person_facepalming:

:stuck_out_tongue:

Now you are flaming Christians.

I think BLF is still very ‘free’.
Self regulating too.
But the PC police censoring trend of today may threaten that freedom, so we discuss it.

Or has there been an increase in problematic signatures?

Wellp, let’s face it. There’ll always be someone who’ll find some way to be offended by anything. The “South Park” episode about a completely non-offensive all-inclusive Christmas Holiday all-inclusive non-denominational season play was a good exposé of such a thing.

A real-life example about “safe spaces” and “safe-learning” in universities was how intolerance was absolutely verboten. Someone who was a rather devout Christian had no personal hatred towards homosexuals, but was of the belief that it was a sin. “Hate the sin, but love the sinner”, and all that. Yet in class, he was absolutely terrified to even make mention of his beliefs, for fear of being sanctioned for various’n’sundry “hate crimes”. (And me personally, you couldn’t pay me to care any less whether someone sticks tab A into slot B or anything else, so don’t even start.)

Or people on campus who were forced to remove or at least cover up pro-Trump teeshirts a few years ago. Yet no one else with political slogans was told to do similarly. (Similarly, I’m apolitical, and think they’re all just flip-sides of the same statist coin, so don’t start.)

Hell, someone with the .signature of a simple “Jesus loves you!” could cause someone offense somehow. I work in a neighborhood with a pretty large Jewish contingent, went to a tailor, he wished me a Happy Hannukkah, and did I take offense, stress a Merry Christmas at him, or an “inclusive” Happy Holidays at him? No, of course not. Wished him a Happy Hannukkah right back and that was it, we both went away happy.

So any’n’all Professional Victims out there will find something to piss’n’moan about, no matter what your intent.

And, oh man, speaking of which, a few years back I had a discussion with got lectured at by a SJW, who went into everything from “microaggressions” to “white privilege”, and basically accusing me of being a racist just because I have white skin. Talk about “guilty until prov—… well, forever”.

So yeah, I agree with the whole “slippery slope” thing. Let things be handled on a case by case basis if need be, and just like the old “Rude!” buttons, let there be discretion, because you know some snowflake is going to flag something for whatever reason, no matter how inane.

Gotta find the Popcorn in this cabinet, this is going to a good night on the ol’ BLF :slight_smile:

I'm offended at being offended Seriously, I'm guessing there are about 3-4 members around here that get offended at just about anything/everything and possibly even at themselves too and hit the report button every chance they get.

:+1:

I was about to reply on this thread but you intelligently covered it all for me. so thanks for that.
Although…. now I think about it, im offended :smiling_imp: that you covered what i was about to say! (joking)

Lets just hope everyone can get along and i honestly wish all the mods luck in a sometimes thankless job.

Happy new year to everyone.

I had George Carlin quote in my sig for a few years.

Admin removed it not long time ago, because multiple reports that someone felt offended by 5 times Grammy winner American comedian.
Watch this guy, try to understand the message before reporting offended. Sketch Life Is Worth Losing for a start :slight_smile:
Mike

Hey, I already got 8 “Rude!”s for that post, so… :laughing:

Is that some new superhero?

:smiley: :+1:

Look at it this way: I’m not butthurt by any signatures that aren’t obnoxiously large, and neither should anyone be :stuck_out_tongue:

Meanwhile, I’m pretty sure this signature of mine is eternally memetic :smiley:

Well, i do feel a bit sorry for the guy…
Seems he knocks himself out with the fall.
The deflating tail is priceless though. :laughing:

There are places to discuss and express other topics. This forum is for the explicit purpose of discussing “budget flashlights” as the name implies. I couldn’t care less if there were no restraints on what people put in their signatures, but others come here for a specific topic. They may not want to have to be bombarded by the same ones most of us encounter everywhere else from mass and social media.

“Don’t you mind someone calling himself satan here? There’s at least 1 account with that name.”
No I don’t, and it’s up to the mods/admins where and when to enforce their rules.

Your sig is far from excessively large/flashing/whatever, but even if it was you’d get a pass for the sheer artistic value haha

I’m not addressing DavidEF here; more just the general audience. Because this interaction cut to the core of much of the friction at BLF…

Yes, that was precisely the joke being made.

BLF is a long way from having “heavy handed” rules or overbearing moderation. The rules are, basically, just this: Behave respectfully toward each other, no spam, no crime, no suing the admin for what users do, and try to enjoy your time here. And once in a while sb asks us to play nice. It’s pretty laid back.

Anyone who has a problem with being asked to be nice… is probably not nice… and probably a negative influence on the site. Hence the joke (or suggestion) about those people starting their own forum instead of dragging down this one.

If being politely asked to follow the site rules inspired anyone to feel upset or complain about censorship or anonymous other people’s outrage, take that as a warning sign about one’s own behavior. It might be a good idea to examine that feeling in detail to understand why an appeal to good behavior caused an adverse reaction. Because there’s probably something there, something which needs attention or healing or at least needs to be kept away from others.

To put it another way: If there’s an office-wide announcement that people should check their smell and maybe take a shower, because there have been frequent complaints about foul odors in the office… and your response is to complain about people’s noses being too sensitive… there’s a pretty good chance you either need a shower or need to go somewhere people don’t have noses.

I think it’s just as bad, although different and probably more subtle, in Europe…
But maybe the reason was it was posted by a guy from Poland and it’s not so nice towards America (and its culture).
Yeah, i know Carlin.
He is pretty “rude” though. Definitely 18+ material.