[2023-03-01] ToyKeeper's themes for BLF now selectable

Hi everyone,

I’m happy to announce that @ToyKeeper’s massive set of customizations to the new BLF site theme is now available directly here on BLF as a user-selectable option in both Light and Dark variants. No browser extension required unless you want to further customize the theme for yourself.

You might need to refresh your browser tab to get the new quick theme selector and new theme options.

The default theme will remain the same, and users that want to use the dark mode of the default BLF Theme will need to select it in:
https://budgetlightforum.com/my/preferences/interface
Screenshot from 2023-03-01 18-04-50

A huge shout of thanks to @ToyKeeper for taking on this massive task and giving BLF users more options!

10 Thanks

Ooh…
Cool!
I didn’t test out the previous versions, but this version seems great! :yum:

2 Thanks

Thanks sb56637 and Toykeeper!

4 Thanks

I was going to say something about not being notified about new threads, but I just noticed “See 5 new or updated topics” so I must have been blind earlier. :man_facepalming:
Thank you sb, TK, LuxWad, and anyone else that helped with this! :upside_down_face:

3 Thanks

The Light version looks like the same style GameFAQs had about a decade ago (which is a compliment.) Thanks for more options!

3 Thanks

I don’t remember the style of GameFAQs from that long ago, but being a gamer, I’ve been on GameFAQs for decades.
I use GameFAQs to determine which game to play next, and of course for the walkthroughs when I inevitably get stuck in a game. :grin:

I like. Thanks TK and everyone involved.

1 Thank

Thanks for including the quick theme switcher at the bottom left of the page. I find that the easiest way to switch.

The interface preferences in the screenshot above allow mixing and matching Themes and Color Schemes which can result in some strange combinations.

1 Thank

Thanks! I hope this will make the forum a little more friendly and familiar for people.

It looks like sb changed the colors a bit, mostly flattening some 3D effects and removing the pink and purple parts, but the themes are otherwise pretty close to what I sent.

More color themes are available at the link in the OP if anyone wants them, along with installation instructions. I’m probably going to try to get something merged upstream into Discourse, too.

This is my first time styling Discourse, so let me know if any widgets look wrong. It’s very possible that I missed a few things.

Also, @sb56637, are you planning to add LuxWad’s cozy brown theme? The low contrast, medium brightness, and low blue content make it easier on the eyes for long sessions.

Edit: It looks like the colors for the currently-logged-in user (i.e. the pink or purple colors) aren’t just different… they seem to be missing or unset. So posts by the current user end up transparent, using the page background color. Those --post-me-* variables need to be set to something.

This may be difficult to see when logged in as sb though, since the theme explicitly sets his colors differently than everyone else. It might require logging in with a different user to see that part of the color palette.

Some of the widgets look a bit odd in the light theme now too. They originally would light up white on top of the sky-blue background, like a cloud, but now the background is white so they’re white-on-white. For example, unread notifications in the top-right menu. They still have a shadow around them, but the inside color is the same as the outside color so they look a bit hollow.

It looks like I also missed the colors for the “number in a circle” thing which appears next to the user’s avatar when there are new notifications. So it’s now appearing in orange instead of blue.

I’m sure these can all be worked out pretty easily though. I’m just happy everyone can use the new themes now. :heart:

8 Thanks

That sounds interesting!
I like earth colors, so I’ll definitely check that one out if it makes the cut. :heart_eyes:

2 Thanks

:point_up_2:
:+1:

1 Thank

Hmmm, I don’t seem to have that issue with my “administrator” account (which is actually a normal user account with no special permissions):

This is what I currently have set:

--post-me-top: #EEF4F9;
    --post-me-bot: #EEF4F9;
    --post-me-hl: #fed5fe;
    --post-me-bar-top: #1A5FB4;
    --post-me-bar-bot: #1A5FB4;

Hmm, what would you all think about switching the current “TK’s Dark Theme” color scheme to @LuxWad’s “ko-Z” colors while maintaining the original element styling and layout changes in @ToyKeeper’s version?

Good point. If most don’t mind the slightly lower color contrast with the black text I could change the main white background to a slight gray. Just to confirm @ToyKeeper is this the same as what you’re seeing?

Screenshot from 2023-03-02 00-15-29

Yep, that’s sort of a limitation of the way I’ve shoehorned in the new “themes” without actually creating a proper Discourse “Theme”. I still think it’s a decent solution though in terms of the customizations surviving Discourse core updates and adding little maintenance burden.

Reply to other self.

1 Thank

Is it only possible to have a single theme each for the Light/Dark variants? If you’re limited in the number of styles it might be best to just use TK’s themes since the medium-contrast grayish brown might not be very popular compared to a normal dark theme

Much better now, thanks TK :grinning:.

1 Thank

fedora core 1 vibes :100: :fire:

Oh my, that’s what it is! The first thing that popped into my mind when I first used this theme was Blender 3D, but now that you mention it I realized that it’s the “Bluecurve” theme that debuted in Redhat 8.0 –

1 Thank

Thanks, ToyKeeper!
The themes make the forum at least a bit less cluttered and confusing.
Would like a non-blue, maybe orange version as well.
Is there a way to change the blue to a dark orange?
With that amnipresent blue LEDs and blue screen themes, I got a bit allergic against blue. Anyway, the new themes are way better than the original and I vote to set the light one as default for new visitors and the ones who have not chsen a default theme yet.

1 Thank

Thanks to everyone who is contributing ideas and work towards the new themes!

Is there any way for @sb56637 to highlight the theme options for new users? Maybe something during the sign-up process?

1 Thank

Not a bad idea, possibly in the new user tips that cover the post preview the first few times.

2 Thanks