3 volt XHP50.2

Agreed. I had them in my cart for weeks and just couldn’t bring myself to do it. They are available though.

A$3.70 for an economy air letter, or $17.70 for a registered letter. 25+ days delivery, no tracking, and technically only printed material allowed.

A$29.40 for a small parcel up to 500g. 9-15 days delivery with tracking.

Edit: Postage from Cutter within Australia is A$15.90, so the minimum cost to have something posted by another BLF member would be A$19.60, approximately €12.75.

I have one sliced. See gallery here

For those interested in 5000K it appears Sofirn is selling it.
https://sofirnlight.com/xhp5023v-p0060.html

QTY0

I ordered 4. Will have to wait and see what actually arrives.

How did you find your 3B0 (5400K) LEDs from cutters did you also get that yellow green shift in lower settings like KawiBoy1428 did?

thx

[quote=Rat]

They are what they are, I very much prefer high CRI emitters in the 4000K range, so these definitely have some coloration that isn’t ideal, both in lower settings, and with the reflector I’m using (stock OP S2+), the spill is very blue/purple. I suspect using a reflector or optic that’s designed more for a emitter the size of a XHP50.2 would perform better however.

With that said, these things are screamers. If you just want an obscene amount of lumens, one of these paired with a FET driver and a high current cell is a really easy way to get a lot of output.

From Sofirn? Were they in stock when you ordered? Shows zero now. Only stock ones are 6500K.

Once again the Cutter listing is sketchy. If you order them, it shows in the cart: "3B0" and 5400K. I can't find "3B0" in the datasheet, only 3B, and 3B is listed as 5000K. I don't think I've ever seen a LED from Cutter consistently, correctly listed -- ever, and I've placed a few orders over the years. However I must say I've always gotten what I thought I'd get -- it's maddening to say the least.

I would absolutely not trust Sofirn for ordering LED's - when the 5000K's were actually shown in stock and I ordered them, instead I received 5700K's. Others reported the same thing. Definite not a trustworthy source for LED's.

They’re out of stock at Sofirn since a really long time. Had some on order last year but cancelled a few months later.

So, good luck.

Kinda interested in whats inconsistent with the description. 3B or 3B0 is the same thing, 3B0 is typically how its labelled in the part number.
Is it 5400k, well we list it based on its outer extreme, yes it falls into the 5k bin description but it could be at worst around 5400k, we would have to spectral test to give an absolute

Please if you have a better way to list parts im all ears
Cheers

Just consistency. If it's 3B0 in the part # and it's the same as 3B, that's great. Just that on this page, it says "3B is 5000K", but in the drop down selection, it says 3B0 (5400K) and no choice of 3B (5000K). Now that you explained it that it's the same, that's good to know. I know you always have, and send the right thing - I always get what I expected, or better than expected which is why you are one of the rare trustworthy sites around, but I know International shipping is not cheap.

Boy, I got qty 10 in my cart which comes to $7 each shipped to US, which isn't bad at all. Wish shipping was cheaper, but I know - we whine about it and are spoiled rotten with Chinese retail sourcing.

Yes I could just have 3A,B,C and D bins and just call them 5000k, but that would be just as inconsistent. the consistency with our bin labels is to identify the outer quadrant, it does not mean you wont get a led that is right on 5000k but trying to be as close to what we believe the bins represent in terms of the widest possible colour lottery is what we consider fair in terms of information, right or wrong we have to take a position
cheers

Cutting off the silicon around the die will have a large impact on the green, it will almost solve it. You may involuntarily sacrifice the EDC wire but I never saw any negative effects of that.

I mis-spelled it, it is ESD wire. Something with protection against electromagnetic fields. Or so, I’m not an expert. All I know is that I never found it mattering if that wire was damaged.

ZozzV6 made the best sliced XHP leds I have ever seen.

1 Thank

I don’t know where I screwed up but a de domed xhp 50 turned blue on me once . I can’t remember exactly what went wrong but if I remember correctly, the complete dome came off.

White LEDs consist of a blue LED with a layer of phosphor on top.

When hit with blue light the phosphor emits red and green. This, combined with some of the blue light from the LED that passes through the phosphor is where you get the red, green and blue light that makes up white light.

If your LED turned angry blue after a failed de-dome it means you took too much off. Basically you accidentally removed part or all of the yellow phosphor layer revealing the underlying blue LED.

Thanks. I wasn’t trying to slice it. It just came off with the reflector hitting it. I was bummed after waiting a month to get it from China. Anyway, went back to the original xhp50 but sliced it. CCT dropped a little which was what I was after.

Well, I have one of those Xml2’s also in my parts bin. :smiley: