41mm(D) x 60mm(H) SMO Aluminum Reflector for 5050 leds (∅7mm hole)

http://www.kaidomain.com/p/S027439.41mm-x-60mm-SMO-Aluminum-Reflector-for-CREE-XM-L

Where can I buy a 28 - 29mm deeper/thicker C8 bezel?

Cheers ^:)

D3RP!

Mmm just giving this a little bump.

There must be some of you out there who tried these reflectors, doesn't it?

I wonder what sort of throw improvement they give compared to a way more usual ∅41.5×31mm SMO C8 reflector. Spill reduction too, and of course big head. They may be particularly beneficial with big emitters… well, no idea really.

Cheers :-)

Umm, no, but have you tried the HS-802?

Nice deeeeeeeep reflector, teenytiny hotspot especially with a small chip. Throws like a crazed monkey.

Mmm right. I know understand what torch uses this ∅42×57mm reflector (or sort of).

Found this UniqueFire HS-802 in AliExpress with a quite nice price. And this baton extension too, as I prefer fully regulated PWM free drivers.

However, pill seems narrow and heck with 17mm driver hole. This 3V - 9V 2.2A 2 Group of 3 Mode and 5 Mode Driver Circuit Board for Cree XM-L @ Kaidomain doesn't looks too bad (totally looks like the CF FX-17A but with different mode spacing), BUT I see an R100 sense resistor… :facepalm: which means 0.22V sense voltage which is a lot imho. If modded to 6A it'll burn above 1.3W in the resistor stack. Sheesh!

Maybe I could somehow hammer an LD-29 inside?

During two and half years on forum, I never met a user which could provide any proofs that show advantages of deep-deep reflectors. I even mentioned list of lights with same diameter and different depth reflectors in one thread - never got any feedback.

Doesn’t the extra depth help focus?

All it really does is cut out a lot of spill. Instead of a wider circle of spill in front of you (possibly blinding you if too near and thus too bright), it pushes it farther out where it’s more “tempered”. And marginally converts more of that spill to hotspot.

It’s the exact opposite of a shallow reflector like in a typische tubelight.

Doesn’t really help as far as focus, etc. A way smaller chip will do that much better.

I had watched one of vihns older YouTube vids where hes says pretty much the same thing. It sure does seem counter intuitive to me. I would think the deeper, the tighter, the more lux. But I guess not.

Reflector shape and emitter output distribution play their roles. That spill which goes away must be reflected somewhere. Careful output cone ceilingbounce or wall shape observation will certainly reveal where does that light goes, or so I think.

I don’t know myself, but it has been said numerous times around BLF that the disappearing spill goes toward making the hot-spot larger diameter, but not (significantly anyway) brighter.

Throw is proportional to (square root of) reflector frontal area.
Deepening reflector affects area - because it changes opening diameter. Very shallow reflectors have huge holes or flat areas in the middle.
These don’t contribute to throw. Very deep have minimal holes. There is a depth limit - too deep and you won’t fit an emitter.
There is a sweet range. Make reflector shallower and you get noticeable loss of intensity. Make it deeper and you’ll barely gain any throw.
So…you can sometimes read that deeper reflectors throw better. This is true. But often meaningless.
Spill width is the most visible effect of depth.
Spot size comes second.
Intensity? Not really.

Throw depends on the surface area of the (parabolic) reflector as seen from the hotspot and the luminance of the LED. This means that it is mainly influenced by the diameter of the reflector (area of circle = radius^2 * pi).

A deeper reflector with same diameter usually has a smaller led hole. This increases the size of the area, but only very slightly because it’s in the ecenteof the reflector.

The big difference will be the shape of the beam. The hotspot will become smaller, the spill will become tighter and the corona will become much larger, more pronounced.

With shallow reflectors there is a dark part in the beam between the hotspot and the wider spill (because the corona is lacking). A deep reflector can create a more practical beam in some cases, it creates sort of an “even carpet of light” in front of you.

Wellp, a parabola is a parabola. Take a wide shallow reflector and extend it, and you’ll get a deep reflector. Take a deep reflector and shave off the front, and you’ll have a shallow reflector. The “sweet spot” (focus) remains the same.

The only difference is how much gets shielded and focused forward, vs allowed to spill. And the deeper the reflector, to the point where it looks like a champagne flute, shields lots of light, but the actual quantity of light isn’t all that much.

Still, I’ve tired of having überbright lights completely wash out the area in front of me to the point where what’s actually lit up downfield doesn’t seem very bright at all. Look at almost anyone’s beamshots, lighting up a tree 100m, 200m, 300m or more, and the ground right in front of the guy is washed out just from the spill.

A zoomie eliminates all that, but has abysmal efficiency (eg, 1000lm light, only 250lm-300lm lighting up the target). At least a deep reflector pushes off that spill some distance away, and still maintains decent efficiency.