A very sad day for me

Sorry for you loss, but the joy and love from Emmy will always be with you..

Sorry to hear that...

JohnnyMac, I know this pain. I teared up just reading this. I'll share how in 2003 I had to put my German Shepherd down, and when I tried, she suffered greatly because I didn't take her to have her put down. I never wanted her to feel pain, but the process was not easy unlike I was led to believe. It took months to get over the event, and I'll still never be the same and never forget the horrors of that one night--the worst night of my life, bar none. A part of me died.

I know it's hard, but at least, if she must be put down, it will be peaceful (always go to the vet and have it done, it's like going out in sleep). It's the best alternative.

Its one of the hardest things to do...putting down a beloved pet. Try not to think of it as losing her, but instead think of it as freeing her from any pain she may be suffering from. And also, think of it as relieving her of her duties as a faithful companion.

And its ok to feel sad and hurt right now. It would be wrong not too, right? Embrace the remaining hours you have left with her and just think about all the good and naughty things she's done in the past.

Peace be with you and your family, especially in the coming hours.

Sincere condolences Johnny. It's been many years now since I had to do the same for my German Shepherd but I remember vividly how it felt. It sounds trite to say it, but she won't suffer, just peacefully go to sleep. Doesn't help much, but there's a small comfort in knowing that you're doing the right thing for her.

JohnnyMac, I'm very sad for your loss. That's horrible news. These pets become valued members of the family and when they go it is heart wrenching. I'll say a prayer for your kids, you, and even your ex-wife. Perhaps you can take some small solace in the fact that a pain shared is a pain lessened... and today we all share your pain. You take care, brother.

I'm really sorry for your loss Johnny. It's always hard when a pet-friend fly away...

First thread of the day. Very sad. Sorry, JohnnyMack. What a "wonderful" outpouring of kindness +1

Keith (who cleared his eye"s with a tear today)

Condolences. When my little terrier got knocked down by a car a few years back, I couldn't talk about it for ages without welling up. Time does heal.

Thanks for the kind and thoughtful words, guys. It's one of the reasons I love it here. You are right, a pain shared is a pain lessened.

Thank you for listening and taking the time to share your experience and/or give words of comfort.

Johnny

You have my deepest sympathy, i am really sorry for your loss, Johnny. Very sad day indeed.

i took 2 years of mental preparation to say farewell in advance when she was still in fine (yet declining) condition at age 14, and when my dog finally reached the old age (16) we were prepared for the moment at the vet's. days pass when i dont play with my lights but hardly a day passes when i dont remember my deceased dog and miss her a lot.

i still feel the loss. daily.

Johnny,

I am so sorry for what your family is going through right now. I never realized how much they are like family until they are gone. My prayers are with you and your family. I had to put my 14 yr Golden Retriever down 4 years ago and I never cried so hard in my life. I didn't want another dog after that but I just kept thinking about him, and the only thing that helped me was getting another Golden Retriever " Kody " and then my wife left me so, you know who I have and I love the most is my Kody....... It does help. I am really sorry Johnny.

Rick

Johnny,

My heart goes out to you my friend.

I had to put down a sweet dog after having her for only 1 year. She somehow shattered her shoulder while on the leash in the backyard and we felt it best to put her down rather than amputate. It was an impossible decision to make and one I struggled with for days. It was so very sad since she had such a short life. I'll never forget my kids' reaction and sorrow when we had to tell them. We buried Maggie in the back yard and had a little memorial out there for her.

We have since got two new dogs from the local rescue and they are so wonderful. But Maggie's memory is still in my heart....

God bless.

I am really sorry man I feel your pain. I had to have Thor put down he had a giant brain tumor. I cried like a baby the whole way driving him to the vets. Just try to remember the good times you had together and she is going to feel no pain and no more suffering anymore it is the right thing to do. RIP Emmy and Thor

So sorry about Thor, Erik. Did this just happen?

Hi Johnny

That's easily the worst bit about having dogs. Next Monday, it'll be a year since Fizz died early, though not that young.

It really hurts.

These words from Kathy Galloway writing about her mother's death helped me, I hope they will help you too.

There is nothing to compare with the pain of death.
You were here, and now you are not.
That’s all.

I search for you in old photographs, letters,
Things that you touched,
Things that remind me of you,
But they cannot fill the space you occupied.

The space is in me too,
Bleeding round the edges where you were torn away.

In the night, strange shapes haunt the space….
Regret, fear, fury,
All the things we might have done.
All the shattered dreams.

How can I go on with this hole inside me?
Partial person!
Don’t let me fill the space with the wrong things.
Don’t let me cover it up,
To eat me from within.

Give me courage to bear my emptiness,
To hold it gently
Till the edges stop bleeding;
Till the darkness becomes friendly;
Till I see the star at its heart;
Till it becomes a fertile space,
Growing new life within it.
If I had not loved, I would not have wept.
This love you have given me;
This love I have carried;
This love has carried me.

And I know that though I cannot see you, touch you,
The love does not go away.
Carried by this love,
We are not divided.
And there will be no more weeping.

Damn impressive animal, E. Pity the person that tried to get past Thor.

awesomedogFoy

No it was along time ago, but you never forget.

Isn’t that the truth!

Beautiful stuff, Don. Thanks. :slight_smile: