Acebeam UC15 - brightest dedicated keychain light yet!

I’m done buying key chain lights until they start putting a lock out on them. No one can seem to get this right. Who cares about 140 or 240 or 340 lumens. It’s all pretty close as far as use cases go, they need to start making better UI to differentiate as well as using good tint/cri.

Good review, but as some have said, to big and to much $$$$$

Agree. It seems like rocket science to put in a decent lockout function.
Only my Tube as a decent one until it breaks.
Nitecore’s attempt to remedy the TIP was to include a pocket clip that can be reversed to cover the buttons. The only other protection is the 30 sec shutoff.
One my favorite lights. Been lucky so far.

+_**Also it would been better if it had built in battery seems a hazzle for that price u must struggle with batteries put in and out charge…
_+

agreed

Very expensive.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/ACEBEAM-UC15-Cree-XP-L2-Nichia-1000-Lm-LED-Flashlight-Torch-AAA-10440-Black-/302579175981

very very expensive and u dont even get any batteries…

for me that =

601.97 South African Rand

i paid 630 South African Rands for my TIP so i would but a UC15 IF it was rechargeable , but its not

I just received an Acebeam UC15 froM HKEquipment.

It seems that they have quietly redone the firmware to a significant degree.

None of this is reflected in the packaging (yet), but the (truly horrible) instruction sheet attempts to describe some of it.

First, new modes have been added and the existing ones have new values:

NiMH AAA:

• moonlight - 5 lumens
  • low - 30 lumens
  • medium - 60 lumens
  • high - 105 lumens
  • turbo - 250 lumens

10440 Li-Ion:

• moonlight - 5 lumens
  • low - 140 lumens
  • medium - 330 lumens
  • high - 600 lumens (stepdown to 200)
  • turbo - 1000 lumens (stepdown to 200)

The moonlight mode is exclusively available from the "OFF" position. Once the light is powered up, you cannot return to moonlight without powering it down first.

Turbo can be accessed directly using a double-click from various starting points

The UI is considerably more complicated, and involves the use of three different types of long button presses: 1, 2, and 5 seconds. The 1 and 2 second presses are indistinguishable on the instruction sheet (except where space allows for a text label) as the dotted lines in the flow chart appear identical. In practical use, however, you can work it out by simply holding down the button and watching the light cycle through all the possibilities.

Operations are divided into 3 functional groups: white, turbo white, and colored. Once you are within a group, you release the button and you can then (1 second) long-press to cycle through the supported functions (low-medium-high; red-uv).

The 5-second button push is exclusively used from the OFF position to implement the lockout function. The light will cycle through different modes, finally blinking 3 times and shutting down at 5 seconds. Holding it for 5 seconds from that state will unlock it and send it to the last used mode.

The 3-blink sequence indicating lockout is not documented anywhere.

Also, nowhere in the included instructions is there mention of things that are found in the online publicity materials:

• The fact that the backlight on the power button functions as a battery level indicator, changing color from green to red as the voltage drops; or what the corresponding ranges are for different battery types. [In fact, if you believe the instruction sheet, you would conclude that the sole purpose of the green backlight is to indicate that the flashlight is operating in "color" (red or UV) mode].
  • The fact that the red LED will blink to indicate low battery condition.

so you dont like it ?

R630 !!!

I got the TIP 2017 glacier S/S 360 lumen version for $23 including shipping, that’s R268 at today’s exchange rate.
And I saw it advertised cheaper through another affiliate coupon less than a week after I ordered it!

from where ?

@icantchooseone:
Too soon to say if I like it. I appreciate the extra modes; don’t know if I like the choices for low-med using a 10440.
The UI is now overly complicated but it can be mastered, and adds features that the initial firmware did not have.
I am not planning to return it….

just a pity its not usb rechargeable

It would be nice to have USB charging. I think between the space allotted for the battery compartment and springs, and the heat sinking, it would make an already-large flashlight even worse to add the additional components.

“It would be nice to have USB charging. I think between the space allotted for the battery compartment and springs, and the heat sinking, it would make an already-large flashlight even worse to add the additional components.”

i thought its the same size as the NC TIP ?

anyway ive ordered a DN70 so im getting rid of my TIP

I’m glad to see something in this form factor that doesn’t. I almost always prefer using an external charger and don’t like not being able to have spares.

Several lights in a similar form factor have 500 mAh batteries. Mecarmy has one that claims 650. Two 10440s can be up to 700, with the added bonus of AAA compatibility. I can see why someone might prefer a sealed battery and USB charging, but I appreciate that Acebeam is offering another option.

Same here, really; and that was one factor in my decision to buy this model in the first place.

There is a literal explosion of products of this type; there are so many generic similar models that already satisfy the desires expressed here.

This model is truly unique - peak output, ability to change power sources immediately in the field, and the high-output 365nm UV emitter; it stands practically alone amongst that field.

Same here, really; and that was one factor in my decision to buy this model in the first place.

There is a literal explosion of products of this type; there are so many generic similar models that already satisfy the desires expressed here.

This model is truly unique - peak output, ability to change power sources immediately in the field, and the high-output 365nm UV emitter; it stands practically alone amongst that field.

Agree. I like the battery and light options.
Just guessing but maybe a bit pricey because it is in a different league quality wise. I think there is a market for this style that aren’t throw-aways.
Certainly if any of my TIPs or TUBEs crap out, they will get tossed.