Anyone ever get shipped fully charged 18650's?

I just received 2 flattop Panasonic 18650B’s from an Ebay seller who’s gotten good reviews on this board. They look genuine with a 3/2013 date code so I’m not concerned about them being the real deal. However they came shipped at 4.226 and 4.233 as measured on my uncalibrated Fluke DMM. They could be somewhat lower, but the corollary of course is that they were higher.

I sent him an email asking if he charged them before shipping (still waiting for a response), but it seems to me that he must have. It seems odd that someone would take the time to charge them, thus my question……has anyone ever received fully charged batteries from a seller? All my prior battery purchases were from Fasttech, Manafont and Intl-Outdoor, and all came in around 3.8 volts.

Thanks
Phil

Never.

Returns

Panasonic NCR18650B’s ship from the factory at around 3.65v. All of the cells I’ve tested that are new and unused are that way. Any other voltage, and it could be they were used. There is no good reason to charge up a cell before shipping (unless the customers requests it).

The seller responded with an interesting response. He said he occasionally charges batteries to test out his chargers. Seems like an unusally practice to me. It’s good to make sure your chargers work, but on batteries that are to be sold as new? If the charger is bad and overcharges, what happens to the batteries? I asked him what they came of his charger at, but who really knows. The batteries read high on my DMM but given that it hasn’t been calibrated in ages their real values may be lower (or higher).

I’ll probably just keep them and assume that all I lost was a single charge cycle, but it bothers me that someone would charge batteries that are to be sold to test out chargers. If it was me, I’d have dedicated batteries for that purpose.

Can you tell us who the seller was?

Yes….I totally agree. We’re trading messages right now and I’m concerned that the batteries were returned and he charged them to see if they were defective. Who knows what chargers were used in the past.

I’ve been running the batteries in 2 lights this evening and they seem fine, but I haven’t got the expertise to really tell.

Is there any sort of protocol about doing so? I have no idea never having encountered this before. If it’s not an issue then I certainly will. I don’t want to be breaking any informal rules, etc.

So far he’s explained what he’s done. I just responded that I don’t want returned batteries that were advertise as new, if in fact that’s what they are. As if anyone would admit to it.

I agree, the seller should be identified. There is also the consideration that by shipping fully charged cells he is making them more dangerous, and this sort of thing contributes to the current problems we are seeing with reliable sellers shipping these cells.

If he had any ounce of common sense he could have discharged these cells down to 3.65V easily enough anyway before he shipped them.

I hope you still have the opportunity to leave him negative feedback.

I would believe what he said about he was only testing a charger. I do the same thing with my chargers before giving or selling one to a friend. Sometimes all my batteries are charged except new ones. 4.226 and 4.233 is nothing to worry about, your DMM is probably off more that that amount. I have 2 identical Fluke DMM’s and they don’t read exactly the same, one always reads a little higher than the other, we are talking a few thousandths of a volt.

NO, the battery is not fully charged received.
Is it a problem?
Because my thought is that when I buy an electronics device, like a camera,
there always written on the manual book, to charge the battery before first time use.

Are these the only 2 18650 batteries you own?

Either way, I would just use them and not worry too much. They should last a few years even if you charge them daily like on a commuter bike.

You’ll end up with a few more when you recycle the batteries from the laptop pack you are using right now. I’ve gotten years of use from batteries out of a completely dead laptop pack…

I don’t charge batteries past 4v, and I’ve misplaced more batteries than I’ve managed to wear out.

The ones I don’t manage to lose last a long time…:slight_smile:

I purchased the batteries from R-Lsales, advertised as new. Here is the link to the listing: http://www.ebay.com/itm/2-NEW-PANASONIC-NCR18650B-LI-ION-BATTERY-3400mAh-3-7v-18650-JAPAN-/230987885721?ssPageName=ADME:L:OC:US:3160

On his last message to me he indicated that they were returned from a prior buyer.
“Hi. This would be new stock returns. We only allow 14 days for return. Most are returned immediately due to not meeting their needs, wrong orders etc. ”

So basically I got used batteries with an unknown charging history. They seem ok (insofar as I can tell from running them) and I’ll probably keep them, but it seems to me that advertising batteries as new should mean….well…new.

I bought them fully aware that Ebay purchases are unpredictable, and also to give him a try given other positive reviews. He seems honest enough since he told me they were returned stock. And he didn’t discharge them down to hide the fact that he charged them up.

If they had been marked as returned items then everything would be fine.

Testing chargers on batteries that are to be sold seems dangerous to me. What if the charger was defective and overcharged the batteries? Someone who doesn’t test batteries when they get them (probably the vast majority of buyers) could be in for a rude surprise.

And, in my opinion, batteries to be sold shouldn’t be test subjects for chargers. That’s what personal stock batteries are for.

Did you read my post? It clearly says that they came fully charged when they shouldn’t have been. I’m aware enough to know that I have to charge batteries before using them. Which of course isn’t the issue here.

I own dozens of 18650’s. I’m not concerned about a single, or even multiple, charges. My issue is that they were used to test a charger, and as I found out later, that they were returned items.

All batteries I received have between 3,65-3,85 Volt.

If I sell new batteries I asked the buyer, if I should charge them before shipping (he can use them directly).

To sell returned batteries as new, unused is not correct. I don't think, that it will be a problem (take a look at the contact area - are there some small dents or scratches? If not, they should not be used often), but it's not honesty.

4,233 Volts are a little bit to much, but not critical.

I would give the seller a neutral ebay feedback.

I thought that was a dangerous practice and frowned upon? Isn’t that why all the manufacturers ship at 3.6V?

Lithium is apparently not dangerous. Isn’t it the electrical energy that is dangerous, and the more of it, the more dangerous it becomes, as is the case of a fully charged battery?

+1 The more energy stored, the more reactive as I understand it as well. And if “new, unused” is what he specified when selling to you, then he is honest in admitting he was dishonest in sending these batteries! His thinking is broken if he can justify sending used cells that he also charged to test a charger as “new and unused”, I’d not use him again and only keep the batteries if you are fine with used batteries at the price.

The batteries don’t show any signs of wear and if I hadn’t put them on a meter when I got them I never would have thought them to be anything but brand spanking new. I’ll probably keep them and will file this away as a future data point. Caveat Emptor is always something to keep in mind with Ebay.

Sellers always have a different chain of thought from buyers, which is how it should be. But in my mind returned goods <> new goods no matter if it was used or not. Given the issues with shipments from China I’ll probably just keep the batteries. The price isn’t outrageous (Fasttech is currently at 15.88) and even though I don’t need more batteries, one can never have too many. Sort of like ammo :slight_smile:

I only bought the batteries to see about the seller. Pretty much accomplished in my mind.