Apple Watch... Is anyone actually buying this?

You still need to have an iphone with you for it to be of any real use - what’s the point when you can get the same apps to run on the iphone itself !!!
I think Apple have gone one step too far this time - especially with the price - I predict the watch will be a sales flop and cost them mega $$$$$$$$$$$s

I know a few ladies who want one, but that is if it fits in with the fashion on their wrists. The main reason is that while they all have phones (and frigging big ones at that), they find diving into their handbags to retrieve a message or call can be quite a chore.

I’m predicting that the handbag/manbag, pocketless, tight pants brigade may be the targeted consumers. For me, I don’t think I wore a watch since I was 13, and many decades have passed since …

Only time I’ve ever had an apple device is when I found an old ipod touch that someone managed to lose.

Apple imposes too much restriction.

I didn’t think I’d ever wear a watch again. I might try this, maybe.

I think though that people’s assumptions about it are pretty, um, ill-informed and ill-considered. Part of it is that some people totally loose their minds when it comes to Apple — if they don’t see the appeal, then anyone who does must be a brainwashed fanboi sheep with too much money, or whatever. Part of it is that people, whether or not they see the appeal of Apple products don’t really understand the dynamics of technology as well as they think they do.

For example, they assume, because the last biggest technology product trend, the smartphone has ~2 year upgrade cycles, everything that comes after must as well. So, if people don’t upgrade their tablets every two years, it means that tablets are a passing fad, like, I don’t know, computers, which hundreds of millions of people don’t upgrade every two years either. Or they assume the Apple watch, which is really more of a remote display, and as such, isn’t going to have dramatically different computational requirements in two, or even four years, is going to be on a two year upgrade cycle, just like smartphones (even as upgrade cycle for smartphones are drifting upward as the tech matures and carriers shift away from subsidized hardware on a 2-year contract).

Or, they think that the high-end versions are going to flop because people who buy expensive watches buy them because of some bullcrap positioning the swiss watch industry came up in order to survive the arrival of inexpensive, highly accurate quartz watches. Some people who buy expensive swiss watches will find another reason to buy an expensive Apple watch, and for every one that doesn’t, there will be someone who would never buy an expensive swiss watch who finds a reason to buy an expensive Apple Watch.

As for why this has me even considering wearing a watch for the first time in 20 years. 1) I’m generally interested in the proliferation of computing devices 2) I’m interested in new types of computer human interaction. 3) The wrist is a good spot for smaller, subtler interactions than pulling out a smartphone.

It may end up being a flop, and that may end up being a well deserved fate, but I personally can’t say its a sure thing, either way, and no one predicting failure has been very persuasive.

iOS 8.2 uses your home screen as an Apple Watch advertisement

Smart watch is going to stay for sure. They are much more appealing now compared to 1-2 years ago. The only hurdle they are facing now is battery life in my opinion.

I didn’t think there would be a lot of interest in the Apple Watch on a forum that’s named “budget”. :slight_smile:

But personally I hope Apple sells a gazillion of them. I don’t have a lot of AAPL but I have enough to make it interesting. :stuck_out_tongue:

Seriously, I’m waiting for the watches with the 10nm CPUs so battery life could be improved. I like the idea of not digging out the phone whenever I need to check something but I’m not going to plunk down the bucks for a 1st gen product.

I may not be interested in an apple watch myself but I do hope its successful. Decent sales, even if its partly powered by apple’s hype machine, should encourage increased smartwatch development by other companies.

— I should add that my predictions regarding these things are generally way off the mark so for that reason alone the watch will probably be a roaring success and make Apple billions :money_mouth_face: - I still think the prices are a joke though :open_mouth:

You say watch, I think Omega. Those something discussed here is just plastic junk.
Mike

Battery life and further miniaturization.

The main issue I have with the apple watch is it will require having an iphone... just as google glass requires having an android phone, and samsung gear or whatever they are calling it will require a samsung phone.

This particular smart watch in the video is intriguing... if I could get a watch that I could connect to my audible account, bluetooth, and act as a phone at least in the capacity of receiving calls and texts, I would love to have it. Assuming the hardware companies could convince the providers to also permit plan sharing among devices.

Another leaked picture of the iWatch;

If Apple can make it relevant, early adapters will bite. Apple’s failures do not get the publicity that Microsoft’s do, nor has it had nearly as many. But it still has had some duds and my take is even money this will be a niche trinket or become an on-ramp to something else.

My 13 year old daugther gave me a hint that she might want an Apple Watch for Christmas.
Since she has refused to wear a watch before, this definiately signifies something new that I don’t really comprehend.

Apple do have a history of making gadgets mainstream and desirable.
Who was using an MP3-player before the iPod?
SonyEricsson and Nokia pioneered the SmartPhone (based on Symbian), but few customers used them before the iPhone.
Microsoft really pioneered the tablet (on H/W from Lenovo and other PC manufacturers), but before the iPad nobody bought them.

So I wouldn’t be surprised if the Apple Watch will be a success, even if I don’t understand why.

Yes on the first two counts. Used an MP3 player LONG before the iPod... just 128mb but it was enough for ~15 songs. Also had a Rio, and iRiver, which was my favorite by far. Still have one of these somewhere: http://media.engadget.com/img/product/5/4ia/creative-nomad-jukebox-zen-xtra-7h7-800.jpg :p

Apple products have a lot of inertia to them, so I think simply by virtue of that they will sell enough of these watches to push out at least another generation or two.

LG Watch Urbane LTE does not need to tether to phone but you need a separate sim card for it to work. Are these big companies investing on next gen battery research? All hopes on graphene battery tech now.

I would not touch anything apple with a 100foot pole.

1. Way too overpriced.
2. Closed

That would be problematic. I mean it's interesting, but there is no way I would be willing to pay to add another line to my monthly bill.

Woah! Looks like the first thing you should do when you get an iwatch is install a screen protector.

I have a Microsoft band that’s most comfortable worn with the screen on the underside of the wrist. I wouldn’t dream of using it without the screen protector on.

I’m about to render the thing obsolete…

Boom!