Arc welding lense to view led, - great for troubleshooting

Not sure if anyone has written about this.
This picture is looking through an arc welding lense also through a magnifying glass to view the led while the light is on. The green dot on the left is the led, the green fog on the right is the light from the flashlight showing up on the arc welding lense. I was not able to get a good picture (cellphone camera)of this but I can see in person that the led that I thought was damaged is damaged. about half the led is less bright than the other half.
I also compared an xpe to xml2 and it is very noticable that the xpe is brighter while the xml2 has a much bigger surface area. I had read about this, but it is much better to see it in person.

If anyone with a good camera and camera skills could take a better picture of this it may be useful to others.

The cheap pair from Harbor Freight is good for occasional use. You can even check out an MT-G2 in action.

http://www.harborfreight.com/2-piece-welding-goggles-set-35711.html

Another way to check an LED is to take an aspheric lens and use it to project an image of the emitter at a nearby white wall.

You can unscrew and use the lens from a standard Sipik 68 for this.

Not half as much fun.

Another boring way to look at a led is through a cd, also great for sun eclipses :-)

There are builders on this Forum (and you know who you are) who can probably burn through your lenses for you.

Rule 1 for Dimbo’s lights: Don’t point them at your face & try to turn them on.

Rule 1 for {Match, texaspyro, OldLumens, etc.} : Don’t even point them at the ground in front of you and turn them on! Some of these guys, the backscatter from the air molecules will be enough to make your head hurt!

This IS a good idea, though! Thanks for sharing!

Dim