Are there any XM-L2's left that can handle 6+ amps?

vinh used to scrape the white stuff completely off, exposing the copper all around - this one looks like something in-between.

Has he dremelled the dome off or something? Can’t really tell. Rough as nails as they say.

Can the heat of the die during operation melt solder? I am thinking that there might be a way if you cut the gold wire from the base and fold it up to where the wire meets the phosphor then a small spot of solder to make a thicker wire from the die, then just solder copper strands to them

Easier said than done :_(

I tried to make a coupla decent pictures………one of the led / die.

Be aware that Vinz dedomes the led, gives it his “treatment” and then places a custom made small lens over it, so that all of the output is focussed on the mail aespheric lens.

I would like to upload them but appearently you need to have them stored somewhere in “the cloud” first and uyou cannot upload directly from your pc.
I don’t store ANYTHING in the cloud so, sorry….

Grtz
Nico

Alright, I have a recipe. Let’s see if I can get these things to take a little more current. I’ll report what I find. Probably going to do the testing with the dozen or so XM-L’s that I’ve pulled out of lights and have laying around. After I have an idea whether it’s a total waste of time I’ll try it on one of the XP-G2 S3 3C’s I have too to test it’s effects on a high Vf emitter.

Go to postimage.org and upload them, its easy! Or just email them to me and I will gladly upload them for you, no problem!

I think Vinh uses a thermal adhesive under the reflector to focus the die. The thick thermal adhesive lets him float the reflector and simply press it lightly to change focus, do this enough and it’s an easy science but I’m sure it took some doing the first few times.

I used Sugru once in the same manner. once the Sugru sets up it’s a firm silicone that’s impervious to the heat and an isolation against shorts. Unlike an adhesive though, it can be pulled out if necessary. I think I used some Saran wrap to cover the top side of the Sugru so it didn’t stick to the plastic Fenix reflector. Sort of a build-your-own centering ring/insulation disc as it were.

A solder coating would improve capacity but very delicate to do.

Picture (not) perfect but hey, I try…… :wink:

Grtz
Nico

Hmmmm……… next try

!!

Grtz
Nico

only 1 pic shows up thanks, a bit big, here is a repost in a smaller size

Nice modded light you got there, congrats! :beer:

I can’t see the pictures. You need to right click (or long press if on a phone) and select view image. Select the link when it’s the image only. Like this.

Edit: and set the width to 100%

Hard to tell but the bond wires do look tinned.

!!

!!

!!

!!

Not really a “budget” light but hey, I had a special deal with him and when a good opportunity pops up…….I grab it! :bigsmile:

Grtz
Nico

That light looks totally badass!!! 8) I like it! :heart_eyes:

Got any beam shots or a link to the build thread?

The wires actually do look tinned with solder, interesting, haven’t seen that before…

I’m not seeing it. The wires still look gold to me. I am noticing the refraction around the edges of the die, it looks like much of the silicone is left on the surface of the exposed die to me.

Here is a closeup of the die

There seems to be 2 colors on the bond wire, specially the lower one, a silverish color and a golden color that go about half way on the bond wire…

Well, my eyes aren’t that young any more but I clearly see that they are not as gold as original……
And no, there is no silicone left at the die at all. As I stated in an earlier post, Vinz dedomes the led (100% clear of all silicone, otherwise he just doesn’t sell it) and then puts a special made small mini-lens on it, that make sure that all of the output is captured by the mail aespheric lens. No loss of lumen there.

Like I said; this is “my precious” :wink: The one light i will NEVER sell.

Grtz
Nico

Bytheway: thanks AlexGT for the nice close-up!

O yeah: this light will run at 7+A continuously, no problem. My precious., Mine, all mine. :bigsmile:

All in German, nut anyway, a review: Mjölnir review/presentation

Beamshots (420 meters): Beamshot area 420 mtr

Grtz
Nico
And the beamshots themselves: beamshot (and many others)

!!

Grtz
Nico

Vinz said this. It may not help much with figuring out the process but interesting all the same.

The LED itself has been professionally “entdomt” and the DIE / chip the LED developed by an even, highly sophisticated “diamond treatment”, the annoying greenish “tint shift”, which occurs usually after the “Entdomen” liberated. The surface brightness and thus the brightness in the target (CD) rises through the “finishing” of DIEs by up to 5% (according to my humble lux meter to judge). The chip of LED was then hermetically sealed again with a new lens whose viewing angle perfectly to the was adapted opening diameter of the large aspherical lens. The result is an identical brightness (CD) compared with an ordinary entdomten LED, but with a larger spot compared to an original LED with Dome. farms is the XM-L2 with about 7A. In addition to the terrific heat sink which is made ​​in hours of handwork was, everything was perfect from the smallest screw, to electronics, to the magnetic ring. For more information, pictures of the lamp, especially from the inside, there’s then a private contribution. The house is according to Google Earth 616 meters away. Note the spot size and the color of the beams. From Green no trace. Beam gimmicks: The lamp was designed by the way according to the requirements of a specialized US police unit.