AVR Programming minor issue...any ideas?

Hey all,

Ignoring that I had to do this (SOIC clip never showed up and I don't have time to wait). Messy but it worked well:

Anyway, I'm having one minor issue. When I test the connection the prompt returns a line saying that expected signature does not match:

avrdude: Device signature = 0x000102

avrdude: Expected signature for ATtiny13 is 1E 90 07

Now I can override this check with the '-F' switch. Downloading/backing up the current firmware and settings appears to work but I'm hesitant to upload any new firmware in case the issue bricks the driver. For the record the uC is an ATtiny13A so it's not the wrong chip (the only option is for t13, there is no t13A in the list of available chips).

Any ideas? Hopefully something I can just ignore...

Cheers,

- Matt

Sometimes that happens to me, i dont know why. Maybe intermitent connection, who knows. Always works eventually tho.

I sometimes have that, too (with clip); I too think it’s a connection problem. Usually works the next try or after repositioning the clip.

The original NANJG is read and write protected; are you sure you down- and uploaded the firmware?

+1
I never managed to download the stock program from a ATTiny13A based driver.

Sorry I might have had my terminology mixed up though according to the AVR wiki that's exactly what I did - http://flashlightwiki.com/AVR_Drivers#Download_settings

I also can't see how it's a connection issue as everything is hard soldered. I'd assume that if one connection was not working right that it'd not work at all, but obviously this might not be the case. The only pin I have not connected is pin 8 on the ATMEL chip (VCC) so maybe that's the issue? What pin on the USB programmer should this connect to?

That will be a major problem… the AVR has to get power in order to work/program properly.

Hmm, well the AVR wiki needs updating then becuase it states that the VCC pin is only required sometimes. When I get home I'll connect the VCC pin of the ATMEL chip to pin 2 (VCC) of the USB Programmer and see how I go :)

Cheers,

- Matt

Yes, strange article, you need VCC.

Must be so, since everything on the internet is true :wink:

try to desolder AVR and program

Don't go for extremes yet, it's a pain to desolder/resolder this. Maybe even result in total writeoff.

Connect Vcc first. The article mentioned was done using proper SOIC8 connector, which actually connects ALL pins anyway. So the author (I think it was brted) wasn't sure if the Vcc pin is used or not.

Yeah defintely. I will be trying the VCC connection when I get home so I'll know what's up in about 6 hours or so :)

Check your programmer whether it supplies +5V or +3.3V to the target MCU. My AVR ISPMKII clone did not supply power to the target MCU. I had to modify by myself.

I read somewhere that Tiny13A GND pin lift off (disconnect from board’s GND) for proper programming.

low resistance between Ground to Data/clock pins may cause some programming issues/chip not detecting

Can we assume that none of the modes stars are grounded on the back? That could be a problem if the data or clock line is grounded.

OK so I connected VCC of the ATMEL chip to pin 2 of the programmer. I get the same problem however I am assuming it's working as my full output is below. If it isn't working how is it reading, especially considering I managed to back up the chip contents without any problem? I'm going to attempt to stick the LuxDrv firmware on it and see what happens. Which me luck!

avrdude: warning: cannot set sck period. please check for usbasp firmware update
 avrdude: AVR device initialized and ready to accept instructions

Reading | ################################################## | 100% 0.04s

avrdude: Device signature = 0x000102
avrdude: Expected signature for ATtiny13 is 1E 90 07

Double check chip, or use -F to override this check.
 avrdude: current erase-rewrite cycle count is 808793655 (if being tracked)

avrdude: safemode: Fuses OK

avrdude done.  Thank you.

If the chip is returning 0x000102, it is NOT working.

Most likely problem is the long wires between programmer and chip. If memory serves, max length for AVR-ISP is something around 10 inches. Looks like you’ve got a couple of feet there. Those are high speed signals…

PPtk

Had to go shopping for a friends house warming gift so I never got around to just winging it ;)

I'm cutting the length down as we speak.

There's a small resistor on the back that is labelled as 5V/3V3. I'm not sure what the default is or if removing it changes the setting.I'm wondering if this chip is goneskis...

5V or 3V3 are suitable for Attiny13A. Some MCU only accept 3V3.