Bare minimum cost to do driver swap s2+ c8

I want to put a guppydrv into my s2+ and into a new convoy c8.
What are the tools I will need, the bare minimum for cost.
I know I need a soldering iron, can I just buy one at harbor freight?

Sure you can. Bare minimum cost, assuming both have 7135 drivers currently, would be $2 a piece plus shipping in addition to a soldering iron of course.

The s2+ and the c8 have 7135! This is great!
Richard from mtnelectronics wrote me a great email to describe what I need to do to change the driver out for one with dr jones firmware. But if simply adding this chip and the resistor will do the same thing, in an easier way I will do this. I do not need to drive these lights any harder (yet :wink:
Does anyone have a video or write up on adding the chip and resistor I would love to check it out

Easier way for a few bucks more is to just get the complete driver. Two wires to solder and done…

You can fry a chip easy with too much heat…

Well I did ask bare minimum, maybe I should have asked what is my best bet. if it is significantly easier to replace whole driver, I think that is my best option. Then I can get the qlite rev with added chips, and more current to the led. That would probably be worth the added cost.
Does anyone know of the best budget soldering iron? Is one of those stations that holds the driver with the clips important? Or easy enough with the pieces on a table?

Harbor freight soldering iron and “helping hands” can be had for less than $10 total. The key to using the cheap irons, don’t let them get too hot. Unplug them when the tip solder starts to oxidize. Get some flux too, that is a big help to solder easily.

As an local resource, find a hobby shop near you that sponsors r/c car racing or flying. They sometimes have very helpful clients and do some group modding where the good solderers exchange their skills with other members. Worth an ask at the local hobby store regardless, since they are also a good place to buy flux and soldering supplies…

I buy my drivers from Mountain electronics, pre flashed with firmware. I am not that talented at building or flashing drivers, the few bucks I would save do not make up for the time I would spend on building or flashing/writing code…

Time is irreplaceable, so I spend my money to keep some extra time for learning other things…. Like putting lights together, and simple soldering…