I installed an SFT40 into an L21B and get 372,800 cd with my gasket. I’ll just tell everyone here, no need to pm me, but thanks.
I increased the height by 0.7mm. This L21B could do with 0.4mm I reckon. I’ll make some more tomorrow
Well, just a correction to my reply earlier. My gasket is too high currently, needs a little shaved off for the L21A. The high measurement of 1,248m was just winding out the bezel, my gasket looks just slightly out which resulted in 1,230m, not much to it. Can’t remember what the candela was now.
So far I’ve only experimented quickly with unscrewing the bezel and tuning it maglite style. The plan is to punch out round discs of aluminum tape to build up the mcpcb around the emitter. Thinner tape for fine tuning after that or sanding the spacer.
It looks like yours is underperforming. I measured with the stock gasket at 20m and got 365kcd
I know that measuring a thrower like this at 9m it’s roughly 100m less
To check my lux meter I compared it to the 1Lumen review of the Maxtoch L3K, I reviewed the same flashlight. I got 2,900m,1Lumen got over 2,700, which if their meter is correct then mine is 5% too high. That would still make it 346kcd
Just curious, I tried to compare 2 units of the L21B with SFT40.
I notice one has a slightly smaller corona but a slightly larger hotspot,
whereas the other unit has a slightly larger corona but a slightly smaller hotspot.
(Tried to take picture of it, but my camera is unable to capture it properly; although this can be observed with the naked eye when I point the 2 units on the ceiling, at slightly lower brightness levels so it’s not too glaring)
Any idea, which one of them will have a farther beam distance? (hard to tell just by doing side-by-side naked eye observation)
Thus: is the one with the smaller hotspot more throwy or the one with the larger hotspot more throwy?
(conventional thinking indicates smaller hotspot likely a bit more throwy, but in this case, it seems that having a (just slightly) larger hotspot might result in slightly more throw = which seems to match what you stated)
Swapped the sft40 from the L21B into another light. Now I’m running a Cree XPP and replaced the the R010 with two R056, so the current should be around 2.85A (will confirm later).
With the 30T @ 3.8V, I was seeing 305kcd. Cell is charging and I’ll get more measurements later.
I chose the small 1.1mm² emitter so that I could better characterize this reflector. With the SFT, I was seeing no meaningful change in lux values @ 5m when raising the reflector from ~0.5 to 0.9 mm. The emitter was being too forgiving to nail the focus height… with the XPP, I think I perfected it. Using the stock 3535 9mm gasket (0.59mm) with a 3535 ‘butterfly’ gasket sanded lightly to 0.79mm, the corona has the sharpest ‘petals’ and highest center beam cd. The butterfly gasket also helps center the emitter since the convoy 3535 gasket is a bit loose around the emitter.
The XPP is 0.75mm tall, 4040 NM1 measured 0.80mm, SFT40 was 1.10mm.
The base of the reflector should then be 0.63 above the LES.
With the SFT40 and supplied 5050 9mm gasket which comes in at 1.06mm tall, then we should space up an additional 0.67mm.
I have some oval base 5050 gasket that is 0.66 thick, and by dumb luck, that’s what I tried first to space the reflector when I first started messing with it.
I tried mine, only got 57 meters, and the stupid thing broke when it landed. Tried my c8+ and got 62 meters and it broke too. All these people talking a thousand meters are full of it. Dont believe a word they say.
The focus needs adjusting by increasing the reflector height by 0.3mm. The focus was much worse upon release, but after my input another gasket was made, only for it to be wrong. Not sure if Simon gave the factory the wrong dimensions or the factory screwed it up. Thankfully my instructions were followed for the 4040 gasket. Another gasket is being made for the 3030.
I measured 250m less with a CSLNM1 3030 gasket, than using my own gasket. The very first L21B gasket performed worse than the C8+
Thanks for the confirmation.
(I was suspecting this but was unable to test more precisely to note the difference)
Also, while my eyes can see the “hotspot” and “corona”, I can’t seem to get that image taken with the camera, even when adjusting settings manually (I’m no expert in camera adjustment settings though, so maybe there are settings that can allow a camera to take a better picture of the hotspot/corona thing…