BLF bummer

:bigsmile:

@yellowhorse. While a proxy will work if you connect through your phones 4g connection then they can't do anything to stop you. Of course this will require jailbreaking your iphone.

If you use your cell phone to make the connection to the internet then you are completely free of the local LAN/WAN. So the answer is, yes. AND, you don’t have to use a proxy server because you are connected independently. No “jailbreaking” required. My HTC phone uses something called “internet pass-thru service” where I just plug the phone into the computer USB port and make a data connection to the internet. Software came with the phone. Apple phones (depending on the carrier) will have something similar.

Yes, they do if you have the 5gb/month plan but if you have the 3gb/month plan tethering is not included and it will not let you. However if you jailbreak it then you can do it without paying more.

When you say “jailbreak the phone”, do you mean ‘unlock’ it? Unlocking the phone just gets you a phone that you can use with any carrier. All carriers sell basically the same phones with ‘their own’ unique features and programs. It varies from vendor to vendor. Unlocked phones come with ALL the features and software the manufacturer supplied. They can be bought unlocked at a bunch of places.

If you are talking about reprogramming the SIMM to sidestep your account contract restrictions - I would caution against doing that. If someone gets caught doing that, it’s a slam dunk state felony fraud conviction. If the the usage crossed state lines (almost all internet use does) it becomes a federal felony.

I’m suprised that most folks still think it’s OK to download music for free. It’s not legal anywhere in this country. It’s called stealing and you can be prosecuted for it. It’s also not OK to steal service from the phone company. Stealing is stealing. No getting around it. Doesn’t matter that someone gave stealing a ‘catchy’ name.

No, that is not what jailbreaking an iphone means, it is not illegal, and it can be reversed for warranty purposes.
Has absolutely nothing to do with stealing from the phone company or the recording business.

scaru - this is what I was responding to: “Yes, they do if you have the 5gb/month plan but if you have the 3gb/month plan tethering is not included and it will not let you. However if you jailbreak it then you can do it without paying more.” That implies that you are getting something that most people have to pay extra for at no additional cost to yourself and scamming the phone company. If tethering is only allowed on the 5gb plan and not allowed on the 3gb plan but you modify it (the phone) to get features you are not paying for, what would you call that? You already know what myself and the vendors call it.

Same thing as paying for 100 TV channels and modifying the cable/sat. box to watch 200 channels without notifying the cable company. It is most definitely stealing.

I am simply giving him another option. Jailbreaking it allows you to install apps that Apple have not approved. These can be anything from tweaks like changing the lock screen or adding an app to allow you to tether it.

Since my company gave me the phone and pays the monthly fees on it, I’m not going to mess with jailbreaking it.

Yeah, if it's their phone then it probably isn't a good idea to mess with it. :P