*BLF LT1 Lantern Project) (updated Nov,17,2020)

good points! :+1:

the shades are opaque.

Great video and ideas. I’ll leave my few cents about the accessories.

1) The bottom cap. It would be neat if Sofirn would be willing to machine them so they’re screw-on. With 1/4”–20 so you retain that feature without batteries.

But if they do a bottom cap, then they should also do a battery tube cap. Screw-on as well. That would be nice.

2) The wide base. If they make it then it should be attached with the 1/4”–20 thread on the bottom.
That way it can be a plastic frisbee with a hole in the middle. Make the screw captive for good measure.
And if they make the bottom cap with 1/4”–20 thread then the frisbee could be threaded on to that as well.

Personally I like tripod’s more. Compact ones are dime a dozen and in my opinion a tripod offers more stability on uneven ground. Usually they have a ball joint as well so you could keep the LT1 plumb.
Of course if you’re camping in a marsh or on a beach then a platter base would be superior because of the higher surface area.

Or they could include both. If they go with the “frisbee with a hole in the middle” route then that should be cheap enough for the accessory kit price not to balloon out of control.

3) Neoprene sleeve is a great idea. But only if they do not skimp on the quality of the material.
——
Hmm… What else…
——
4) If Sofirn decides to do the accessory kit, it would be nice if they could offer it in 3-4 different “flavors”. I for example have no interest in longer cables or cig-socket chargers.
“Basic” kit could include: storage bag for accessories, collapsible top hat, side reflector, bottom cap with tripod thread, lanyard.
Option 1 could add: neoprene sleeve for LT1, tripod?, battery tube cap?
Option 2 could add: 12V cig-socket charger + adapter + longer USB-C cable
“Premium” kit would include everything.

Or some other combinations.

Whoops, “few cents” indeed :person_facepalming:

BLF for some reason doesn’t like hyphens in URL’s folder/path section.
So in the future, only copy and paste Amazon links like this Amazon.com
Do not include the rest so the forum parses the url correctly.
Or you could just use the “insert link” button above the text box (it’s the fifth symbol from the left).
So you can do this.

Same goes for Ebay.
This is a hot mess https://www.ebay.com/itm/BLT-LT1-Lantern-Sofirn-USB-Rechargeable-Lamp-with-4pcs-18650-Batteries-3000mAh/383203278208?hash=item5938b1fd80:g:MlgAAOSwY8Zdnucp
This is not https://www.ebay.com/itm/383203278208
See what I did? I only included the /itm/somethingsomething

AliExpress usually doesn’t need work like that since their URL structure is different.
But this still isn’t that nice 23.01€ |Sofirn BLF LT1 8 * LH351D Camping Licht Mehrere Bedienung Verfahren Super Helle Taschenlampe Variable Farbe 2700K zu 5000K|LED-Taschenlampen| - AliExpress
But even if a URL doesn’t “need work” it’s good netiquette in my opinion to clean them up regardless, remove unnecessary refs and tags and sources and other nonsense that are unnecessary for the URL to work.
Since isn’t this a bit nicer? 23.01€ |Sofirn BLF LT1 8 * LH351D Camping Licht Mehrere Bedienung Verfahren Super Helle Taschenlampe Variable Farbe 2700K zu 5000K|LED-Taschenlampen| - AliExpress

Lagittaja, it sure is nicer. It’d be nice if this old fart could remember it too :slight_smile: . Not everyone on here knows all that others do about the ’net. I might remember the insert link clicky thing. The rest? Not so much.

Heck, it took me forever to figure out how to post a picture, did it once then could I do it again? Not a chance. :person_facepalming:

My two cents on the accessory kit ideas.

1. Could the wide base and the cap for when batteries are not in use be made to fit into each other somehow? I could see that being useful in a variety of situations.

2. Similarly I’d hope the base and the cap both could either be made of some very high quality plastic or even aluminum like the light itself.

3. Definitely put my vote in for the flexible silicone shade. No reason for the other options when that one fulfills all of them, lays flat and is adjustable.

4. I like the idea of a carrying case as well as long as it’s well made. If it’s not I’d rather just make my own.

5. The little mini cord with clips is a great idea and saves us finding something. But why not make the clips the same on both sides?

6. The directional shade/reflector is cool too, great idea, but definitely would be best if it could be connected without tools.

I hear ya man!! You have my sympathy. I used to be a computer tech in the early 90s. Now I have trouble remembering simple task.
The pic thing I can still do if you need help just Pm me or there is a link here How to Post Images on BLF

Good info Lagittaja …… thanks :+1: :beer:

I just came back to a private message with information that didn’t work. There were tons of posts to wade through and was just concerned. Thanks for the info.

One big question is what happens with unused codes a few months after all lights are build and codes sent.
Are they going back into the BLF group buy pool?

They will be sold on Epay to the highest bidder~!
LOL

Doesn’t matter, they are not going to stop making these things, they will make various other colors, saturate the market and have multiple sales.
You heard it here first. :slight_smile:

I have just watched you video and I have to say you did an amazing job (again)! All of these acessories seem to work great and add functionality, while still being realtivly cheap to make.

And could you please ask them to add that amazing lanyard to the basic lantern? It’s just so usefull and costs bearly anything to make!

They have already began to ship some of the first lanterns though, but definitely the double clip lanyard is a useful accessory.

UPDATE: Oct,23,2019
Possible colors vote added. >> Go vote on your favorite color, and we will work with Sofirn to see what is possible.)
POLL POST IS HERE:>> Choose your BLF LT1 Color Preference!

The colors based from the Pantone standard color charts)

ZOMGG!!! Can I vote for more than 1 color ? How many colors will be chosen, or make it to production phase?

Is there any way at all to get in on the Group Buy price? New to the hobby and stumbled across this. This looks really cool and would love to get in on it

I wish we could set up the polls that way, (post in a reply of your favorite colors in the image in that Color-Topic poll.

Maybe we can set up a back-up list, as we know that not everyone on the current group-buy will buy all their lantern numbers, (as some have vanished due to the list & LT1 project beginning 3+ years ago.)

My view on accoutrements.

Top hat reflector collapsible shade yes

Side directional shade yes

paracord lanyard nice, could be DIY. Should be inexpensive

-charging cable robust 6 foot USB-C cable +

Charging cable 12 volt direct will there be enough compatible devices to justify it? Declining cigarette lighters in cars may minimize utility. Jumper cables?

-USB-C to 2.1×5mm adapter for 12 volt charging

-padded storage bag potentially handy if low price

plastic wide base To add stability & grip for uneven or angled surfaces needs some thought. I would like to see metal. Clamp-on legs may more effective and weigh less.

-Cap for the lantern head when used without battery tube. To protect the internal contacts when using the lantern without the battery tube powered from USB-C sources. Yes with a seal. +

-Accessory storage bag has merit if reasonable cost. It looks nice and seems to deal with most of the expected parts. Maybe a bulk buy? Better than keeping the lantern in bits and pieces in the house/car/mountains. The one in DSBAR’s demo would be pretty close to optimal.

That’d be awesome if that could happen. I’d definitely be in

EVERY ONE of these colors are spot on. I love them all.

Uh………… I think Sig is on vacation! :person_facepalming: :beer: