BLF17DD or FET+7135 driver for Triple XP-L Eagle-Eye X6?

BLF17DD
FET+7135

Hi guys, I have tried to do some research but I’m not sure if I fully understand the differences between the 2 drivers. Which driver from the above 2 links would you suggest for a triple XP-L Eagle-Eye X6? Thanks guys!

The only advantage of the FET driver over the FET+7135 driver to me is guppydrv, awesome firmware by Dr.Jones.

Yeah, but for the Fet + 7135 driver, you have TK’s awesome blf-a6 firmware! It has 7 evenly spaced modes ranging from sub-lumen firefly to full-blast-whatever-the-cells-can-handle Turbo!

Yep, you’re right, seems like an awesome firmware as well, but you have to flash it yourself, or find someone that does it for you, whereas you can buy guppydrv already flashed.

guppydrv lacks a voltage indicating blinky mode, but you can set the turbo timer to whatever you like and it has so many mode groups to choose from.

Especially the configurability of the turbo timer is nice, when you’re not sure what duration is adequate for your light prior to assembling or you want to change the turbo timer in dependece on ambient temperature (winter/summer, etc.).

Yes, I wasn’t thinking about having to flash versus being able to buy it with the FW on it already. The guppydrv does look to be awesome. I’m hoping to one day get some drivers with guppydrv version 2 to build lights with. The blf-a6 FW also has the ability to move in either direction through the modes - forward or reverse. And, the blinky modes are hidden in the reverse loop, not accessible by clicking forward. Good for people who rarely (as opposed to never ) need a blinky mode. It also has two mode groups. If you add up all the different ways you can use the flashlight, it will not be lacking many of the abilities of guppydrv, really.

If RMM is selling the +1 7135 driver then he will flash TK's firmware to it, if someone wants it. Even if someone wants to build their own then he can sell and flash just the MCU. It is all possible :)

I didn’t know that one can have TK’s firmware flashed by RMM, thanks for letting me know.

I don’t have a light with TK’s firmware yet, really looking forward to the BLF A6! I have a X6 3up Nichia from nitro with guppydrv rev1 and I love this firmware. When I think back a couple of years, I have to say it’s fantastic what kind of drivers and firmwares we have available nowadays.

Cheers!

TK's firmware (anything she writes) is free and available. RMM does all sorts of custom special requests (I think he may hate me for outing him LOL) BUT one must ask.

Thank you guys for your input…I really appreciate it. Besides available firmware, is there any advantages over the other for my application?

Well… What exactly are you hoping to accomplish with your triple? If max lumens is all, go with a BLF17DD and be happy. If you want better efficiency on low modes, and a true sub-lumen firefly mode, go with the FET+7135!

Edit: Although, it must be added that the FET+7135 can also give you max lumens.

Thank you David! I didn’t realize that was the main difference; I thought they were both able to have a true moonlight setting. Thanks again!

Well, they both are able to have moonlight, but I think the BLF17DD doesn’t have the ability to go as low, and is less efficient in all the lower modes. I have yet to use either of them myself, so everything I “know” is from reading and trying to understand around here.

They really are essentially the same driver, just one has a 7135 added. As David said, the 7135 adds better efficiency and consistency in low modes (especially moon), but the high modes should be identical.

Technically, I believe guppydrv could run just fine on the +7135 driver, but it doesn’t utilize the extra chip so there wouldn’t be any benefit.

I have never tried a DD myself but if I may guess you can’t have a stable moonlight mode because of two reasons: 1. Too high voltage 2. Dropping voltage by time. If you do want a stable moonlight mode you will have to get a DD+7135 driver. But then again, you could bring another lower power light along to read books too. :slight_smile: