C8 mod with fet and abnormal low readings

That’s with a mtn 17 dd.

my highest reading on a V3-3C was 5.5A with 30Q

but with TA driver and really thick 0.75mm² wires for driver and LED

The thing with a DMM you never get accurate readings as a bypassed tailcap with switch has like 10mOhms

if you want to know which resistance your DMM with wires has, just measure the voltage drop over it while you measure the current

Hmm, this have some logic. I have somewhere original Convoy C8 driver and I will try to find it to measure thickness vs this fet.

No the same, I’m telling you all the time that I gets on other lights higher currents when I measure and that there is no reason if DMM works on other lights that shows on this one lower readings. No sense, so put one KD HI V3 on 16mm DTP board and fet to b158, works as it should be, put one KD HI V3 on 20mm DTP board and fet to C8 Convoy and lower readings, assume that something is wrong with fet, change with new one since I have it couple, same results, I don’t have new HI V3 to try that.

So I will update if there are changes after I solder around driver to get better contact with ring and host of the light.

I see what you want to say but realy no sense, since I can read with DMM current over 4A on other lights, there is no reason that DMM will not work on this, and to be clear on that other lights that measure about 4A is max not some lower value. Also all other measurements match up with other people here like stock b158 with nanjg 150c is 3A, Convoy stock 2.8A, Utorch ut02 2.6A…

You need to add more solder blop on top of the spring…

a FET does DD, so any added resistance to the circuit does lower the measured current

while a 7135 light does have a voltage overhead which does not affect the current mesurement

There may well be another issue at play with your C8, but I’m going to tell you now; The long, standard leads on a DMM are going to introduce a lot of resistance, especially when you start getting over the 3A level. :nerd_face:

Check out Djozz’s video here to see the difference replacing the leads can make. :+1:

With the new FET drivers you have from BG, is the FET the same part # as the earlier drivers you have?

Have you tried re-flowing the LED?

The most resistance is insisting that the DMM and leads are not an issue.
I personally have learned a lot form listening to members with far greater knowledge and experience.
The next investment on my Bench is going to be a clamp meter.

if you can measure the voltage drop over your DMM you can calculate the voltage drop

with this information you can look at this graph and see how much current you would get without the DMM

this can be also done from the battery to the negative wire of the LED,
then you see how much voltage drop you get in the host with driver and springs

Voltage drop of 3ft standard 22awg at 5amps is .48volts

1ft of 8awg it is .0068volts

@4v .5volts is very significant.

Now depending on the vf of the led this could lead 1-2amp difference in your measuring just at 5amps and not including any other resistances.