Can Kapton tape be used for battery wrapper?

Hi,

I was looking at this:

http://www.fasttech.com/products/1195400

and was wondering if this tape can be used to wrap/re-wrap batteries, and maybe to patch the wrapping?

Thanks,
Jim

I have that exact tape from FT, it’s good, quite strong adhesive and excellent electric insulation.

I do use it as wrapping patch for battery, works very well. Just wrap tightly a couple of turns. Never tried the whole battery wrap but I don’t see why it won’t work.

Can use.
Capton tape normally used where high temperature exposed. these tapes too thin and can easily scratched so you have to wrap few layers to get enough protection.

Hi Pulsar and Pavithra,

Thanks!

Jim

Why bother when you can get proper battery shrink wrap from Fasttech ? Available in different sizes, and HKJ has an excwllent tutorial on how to use it here .

Hi,

It was because I don’t have a heat gun, but from that thread you linked, it looks like a hair dryer can be used :)… Might try both.

Thanks,
Jim

Yep, a hair dryer worked fine. Getting the measurements right is the real trick. You can only learn from experience. After a few attempts I got the hang of it and HKJs instructions worked like a charm!

I love heat shrink tubing

Actually Kapton is really tough stuff, tougher than almost any shrink wrap. I wouldnt mind wrapping a battery with it.