[Canceled] Sofirn SP70 BLF Edition

To swap with the orange peel one that comes with the SP70. I’m allergic to oranges .

With the right led and focusing, a smooth reflector can produce a great sharply defined hotspot, I like that over the fuzzy spot of a OP reflector.

I have both the OP and an SMO and in my tests the difference was negligible.

At 10 meters, 15 seconds, 2 different cells.

OP 185kcd and 188kcd

SMO 192kcd and 192kcd

185kcd is 860 meters
192kcd is 876 meters

So there was not a big difference in distance. Not enough to see, at least.

I felt the slightly OP reflector was the right choice. The SMO, although it had a sharper edge to the hot spot, it also showed some artifacts like a purple dot in the middle of the hot spot. IDK, maybe they could have/can tweak the geometry to make it look a bit better.

Any update on this? I was just about to buy an SP70 when I saw this thread pop up….

I have not heard any updates on a newer version. This thread is quite old so I doubt a new driver version will be released.

(My recommendation would be to get the 4700K-5300K version with or without the HD batteries)

I’m waiting ….

Don’t hold your breath.

seems its aint gonna happen…. shame

Id still love to own one. So sad this hasn’t gone anywhere.

It’s not really sad because the current version is a great light. I use it daily for work.

I still got my SP70 in pieces. Really should get it back up and running on Anduril2. The power switch support is decent, but it's missing supporting full turbo, unless you make the top of ramping max/turbo. It's a remarkable thrower and the shallow reflector reminds me of the old HD2010's, but way bigger.

I got the power switch Anduril2 support in a modded Amutorch TC500: FET+1 driver, sliced SST-40. Nice review here on BLF.

There's nothing spec'd for this light that can't be done in modding, accept for the SS bezel.

I agree, the current version is a nice light (as are most Sofirn flashlights). But that is not the AWESOME light we have patiently waited for that earns our dollars. As most others here have already stated, we’d like to buy the BLF version if/when it ever comes to fruition. That is more than abundantly clear, isnt it? Please give Sofirn a good hard kick in the pants and ask them to get busy producing what we want so we can support their company. The myriad of videos boasting the new version capabilities and word-of-mouth will sell them like hotcakes!

What a great and useful mod! IMO, I think once we’ve used it, Anduril (and similar) has spoiled us to the point that its difficult to accept anything less. Its also hard to beat the sheer performance to capacity ratio of 2 x 26650’s in this well-balanced and easily-carried form factor. Hopefully, we will see the BLF version available with several different emitter options so we dont all have to possess your multiple skill sets to own such a useful light.

I’m not good at understanding emotions, sorry.
I will ask them to comment on this thread if the matter is still open to produce it or if they decided not to.

Thanks for asking & fingers crossed they will finally make it happen. :+1:

“Going” should be “good”. Darn auto correct.

I just heard back from a representative from Sofirn. Here is their response:

“Hi, there is no plan to produce the version of SP70 with Anduril.”

Sorry guys. It was June 2019 when they said they we’re going to contact Toykeeper about getting Anduril for the SP70. Things must not have worked out.

Thanks for asking. I guess the next best thing would be a driver swap and spring bypass.

Let me say, that this is again something, which was fallen into mediocrity as I cannot see Sofirn really pursuing development, they rather go for the easy coins. (This isn’t meant to be an actual rant however, just a ‘sigh’.)

Disappointing. Perhaps they didn’t move a lot of units so little hope of recouping cost from further development? Having said that, we gave Sofirn some tips on the SP36 and now they seem to be doing well.