【convoy】H4 and B35AM options are updated

I will not go to increase the shipping cost, don’t worry.

There is no clear boundary for the M L model. 21 means use a 21700 flashlight. A, B…Z are just named in order.
C8 is an old model on the market, so it is retained.

Regarding model naming, I always think that the simpler the better, otherwise it will be difficult to remember.
At first, it was just expressed by the size and number,
T- tiny, for example T2
S-small S2 S3
M-middle, M1 M2 M3
L-large. L6
Z-zoomable

Later, netizens wanted to be able to easily distinguish which 21700 flashlights from the model name, so I added the number 21 to the model name, such as S21A, M21A, L21A, but because 21 is a number, so the last character of the model I use letters to indicate the order, A, B, C…

I just found the new Convoy Z1 on Taobao. LINK

It uses a SST40 led and a 21700 battery. The design looks great with the cooling rips, shiny tail switch and black interior.

The name resembles the Jaxman Z1 somehow. The CountryMan B1 is similar to the Convoy Z1.

That looks like a slick zoomie. I bet a xhp50.2 slides right in, plus driving it at 6A would be 2600 lumens with more potential if it has a 22mm driver (xhp70.2 with a boost). The 21700 cell gives good headroom too. For $19 US?

Nice find Skylight :wink:

BTW, when you say “The CountryMan B1 is similar to the Convoy Z1”, what do you mean by that?
The host is different, and I guess I’ve seen the B1 on AliExpress for a while now, while the Z1 seems a new design!

Claims of 2300 lumens? Same story as with the S21A, with severely overstated lumen output claims.

Tested SST-40 N4 bin emitters barely surpassed 2K lumens at 6A. Considering that the Convoy SST-40 linear drivers do not really reach the stated current output but a tiny bit less (this is irrelevant, though), and other flashlight inneficiencies which limit actual out the front light output, and that the reflector based S21A was measured 1770 lumens at startup and 1635 lumens at 30 seconds by Terry Oregon in his review, I can conclude lower lumen output figures for that Z1 flashlight even in flood. Considerably.

Geez! Do sellers think buyers are stupid? Not really trying to blame them, but the same could also be said about them otherwise.

Even when I bought my first zoomie many years ago, a Saik S9 claiming 400 lemons, I already knew that was a lie as its onboard XR-E could barely break 240 lumens at the maximum claimed driving current and optimal conditions. So probably 150 lumens in flood if lucky.

For the same reason, I could probably claim in excess of 200Km/h top speed for a tuk-tuk… down a sufficiently deep and steep cliff of course.

P.S.: Z1? Well, now we have at least two flashlights with the same name from different brands… :facepalm:

No way 2300lm from a zoomie. You lose a lot of light when zoomed to flood. The higher bin sst40 is good for 2000-2200lm at about 7 or 8A drive current. Higher current needs significant heatsinking not available in most zoomies, plus lower led life (or death).

I thought you were not interested in zoomable flashlights….It looks like I was wrong.

I think when they’re done well they can be a nice addition to a collection, it’s just that so many aren’t done well.

Sirstinky, a good zoom flashlight shouldn't lose too much output in flood (zoomed out), and what you describe is a lot worse when zoomed in. The flux output innefficiency is due to the overall optic design.

I agree with oweban. I also think there's room for improvement, and room for innovation, in zoom flashlight designs.

Simon Mao, there is interest in good flashlights. Problem is that most if not all zoom flashlights are either design faulty, substandard, expensive, or any combination of the aforementioned.

For example, I remember the ThorFire TA13 / Sofirn SF30A flashlights, now discontinued. Wrote a thread about them long ago. I still have my modified TA13, now with :-) 21700s. I added a couple R330s to the sense resistor stack on its driver, for ≈1.95A peak current output to its XHP35 if I recall correctly. All springs bypassed. Works fine and gets hot fast. Besides the too short inner cylinder flaw described in Sofirn SF30A Modding, Review, Zoomtaschenlampe @ TLF, the TA13's flaws, in my opinion, are:

1. The emitter sits in a cavity and is retained with a conical, screw in part. This unnecessarily increases the distance to the lens in flood, reducing output. Way room for improvement.
  2. The lens is small.
  3. Only a single hole for lanyard, makes tailstanding wobbly.

Now that I'm here I'll also say that, it would be cool to see a zoom flashlight with its head made entirely out of polycarbonate (head body + bezel). This would allow maximum :-D light output efficiency, making the flashlight an excellent mule. Besides this I also think that something else could be done with the side emitted light of an emitter which normally hits the reflector in reflector lights, which otherwise gets lost inside the head of a zoomie. And I'm not speaking of light recycling collars. O:)

Wed, 06/24/2020 - 06:16

They also tend to be 2-trick ponies. Me, the only zoomies I’ve got, spend 99.9% of their time on full flood, only because of the nice wide even blanket of light. But even a reflector light with very diffusey diffusion film comes close.

The other 0.1% of the time when I zoom in The Bat Signal, it’s only really as a curiosity. When 2/3 or more of the light from the LED is wasted that way, it’s easy to have a tight thrower make up the difference. I’d rather grab my L2 or GTmini for that.

So… zoomies. Flexible, yeah, but extremely wasteful. Hard to “get right”.

Oh, and very important… The lens needs to be pretty much perfect, else there’ll be lots of crappy artifacts when zoomed. One bad batch of lenses, and the rest of the light is garbage.

I really want a zoomie with a Nichia 319A - that hexagonal pattern would look super nice.

Me too! Great idea. I have one, but on a 20mm mcpcb so I can’t use it in my zoomie I have now. If Simon starts selling his on AE I’ll get it and swap in the 319.

Thank you. I know that the CountryMan B1 is a different flashlight. I wanted to say that the black interior, the steel switch and the 21700 tube are similar. I have a CountryMan B1 so maybe I’m trying to convince myself that I don’t need the Convoy Z1. :wink:

Looks nice Simon! Good work :slight_smile:

And both are twisties. :frowning:

Well, mostly because right now I don't have an S2+ or similar short thrower class flashlight, I am using my SK98 and TA13 to enlighten the road in the fields for night time jogging. Once I reach a point where street lighting is missing, I turn on the flashlight and zoom in for the light cone to close enough and illuminate the road and just a little by the sides in my field of vision, which results in around half-way zoom in or so. Works good but, compared to a reflector torch, the light extraction inneficiency forces you to use a higher mode or settle for less light output. In my SK98 this is quite noticeable because in medium mode it pumps 1.3174̅2̅A :-D to its (6V) XHP50A, and this means it pulls around twice that from the battery if not a little more because I do not usually have my VTC5As filled. Around a couple times in runs I got low battery blinks in the road turning back to town, although no big deal as the super-low mode saves the day night. O:)

Unno, I’d consider a regular reflector light with diffusion film. Scatters just a touch off to the sides but has a nice easy-on-the-eyes fade from bright center to dimmer periphery. Just gotta figure out how diffusey you want the film.

The Tacklife light with a G2 or G3 behind a fairly big reflector is too throwy for most of what i’d use it for, so i threw in some pretty diffusey film, and now it’s a nice bright wall of light, perfect for going down a dark cellar and the like.

Use less-diffusey film, and you’ll retain more of a hotspot but with just enough “smear” to hide an ugly corona.

While I like aspherics when on full flood, it still has a rather sharp cutoff to zero. It’s a bit too much like a stage light. Only those lights that really let it go full-flood and wiiiiiiiiide is it not that objectionable. Lights that don’t practically let the lens sit right on top of the LED won’t open up that well. Lights with a bezel or other restrictions similarly make a too-sharp cutoff.

Or a nice TIR lens with the spread you want could be a good substitute.

Hey Simon do you have any of the C8 reflectors with the 9mm center hole? The last stack i bought had the smaller 7mm size and its hard to make it work with a XHP50.2.

Mmm, today I received this:

∅50mm scatter plates which are going on top of the emitters of my latest DIY creation, a nighttime dimmable 3K lamp with Samsung LH351B emitters at up a lil above 550mA (check it here). I decided to get those diffusers and attach them over the emitters in my lamp with ∅5 × 4mm neodymium magnets in each heatsink corner. I'm already accustomed to avoid looking at lamp emitters directly, but with the lamp in place they are set at eyesight height… :facepalm:

Bought them here, various diameter sizes available. On top of my Convoy M1 with Osram KW CSLNM1.TG I can notice how good of a job they do diffusing the output, but of course I can notice loss of lemons.

Thu, 06/25/2020 - 01:03