【convoy】H4 and B35AM options are updated

The following is a curious question: What is the size (diameter) and emitter spacing of the Convoy S12 MCPCB host?

It looks like it is slightly bigger than ∅20mm. ∅25mm maybe?

I am wondering if it could be possible to fit this “3TI” MCPCB from Kaidomain. With it, all led emitters could be arranged in series and driven with a boost driver, for a fully regulated, full power blast no matter battery SoC flashlight.

Knowing the distance between led pad centers is the key parameter here, I guess. But at first sight, I'd say it looks like it would fit fine.

I can’t quite fit my calipers all the way in to measure on my S12 but it appears to be 25mm, give or take 0.5mm. The emitters look to be about 6mm from the center of the board to the center of the emitter.

I didn’t have time to label them all or add more, but here’s the rest of the Convoys I had in my flashlight size comparison file.

I’m adding in this line of text to make it clear these are two separate images at different scales.

Actually, maybe Simon can order an S12 MCPCB that has the LED in series :slight_smile:

Imagine efficient triple boost driver Nichia 519A S12s :stuck_out_tongue:

Wow that is exactly what I am looking for! I will definitely buy this if it comes with a buck or boost driver.

This may interest you. Not exactly a floody L7, but it’s a floody two cell light that’s very bright.

Thanks very helpful. Will help me decide which GTFC 1800k host to get!

I saw that one but Nightwatch drivers are the typical direct drive with no regulation and very inefficient. I want a buck or boost driver with good regulation and high efficiency. I’m spoiled by Olights and Fireflies with the LUME driver. They can sustain a very high output for a very long time unlike the toy lights. Convoy has some lights with good boost drivers too so I’m interested if Convoy makes a similar light.

Thanks. I just climbed up on a chair and took a quick and rude measurement in a lamp I made with these MCPCBs long ago, and the distance of the emitter centers from the center of the board looks to be about 6mm or very very close.

I may take a closer look at it tomorrow, taking down the lamp. But it looks like the stuff could “mix and match” well.

Didn't notice this before.

Yes, that would be cool. Simon's 4S or 12V boost drivers (2.5A with brass cylinder post, or 2.3A without), can manage the task, pretty sure. For a triple their current output could be tuned up somewhat higher, to 3A or so safely, although it would require swapping the sense resistor. I may venture into this.

Same one? 3.21€ |Triple Quad kupfer DTP MCPCB und TIR objektiv| | - AliExpress

If so, 22.5mm or so.

I just ordered the M21E and M21F. According to Simon’s test, the tint is above the BBL so I’ll fix it with a piece of minus green LEE filter! Can’t wait to test these new night lights!

Simon, when will the cyan 18350 battery tube be back in stock?

3A should be fine. I measured that these have 10A input limit, but it’s easily adjustable. I put some photos in what did you mod today -thread few weeks ago.

Edit: added Link

I see. I really didn't figure out they were MP3431 based, and so I used a conservative figure. However, raising the input limit the power output could be a lot higher, like for example (almost) twice with twice the input current.

However, you said nothing with regards to what value for…

… this resistor. Should I look into the MP3431 datasheet?

Here you installed a bigger inductor, and swapped that resistor for a 220KΩ. Why? Because if it was to lower the maximum output voltage there is really no reason to do it as far as I know, the driver should properly adjust its output voltage for lower voltage emitter setups (2S or 3S).

The emitter spacing is the same as on the standard triple MCPCBs for Carclo optics. The diameter is 25mm. The Kaidomain triple board should fit.

The problem is that the reflector sits right on the MCPCB so there should be no solder joints in the middle but only at the side. If the reflector is a little too high because of cables underneath there is a great risk of dedoming the leds when you close the flashlight. It happened to me with XPL2s that are particularly easy to accidentally dedome. :person_facepalming:

i stop the production of the 18350 tube with trapezoidal thread
what about 18350 tube with other color?

If I remember correctly I changed input limit resistor to 15kOhm.

I don’t know is it able to adjust output voltage. I had previously done Some Convoy 2.3 A XHP35 driver modding and I noticed this one has similar boost circuit.

In XHP35 drivers case, output voltage was modified, so I did it in mine also.

First I tried 247kOhm resistor and with it the original smaller inductor and it started to flicker on 100% mode and couldn’t reach highest theorical current, which was 6,2A with current sense resistor I was using.

With this later setup it worked fine.

Understandable that trapezoidal is fased out. Will cyan come back with rectangular threading at some point? Love the color.

Also on the product page it says “Currently only cyan S2+ has trapezoidal thread!”. Does this mean all S2+ colours sold now have rectangular threading? I mean entire hosts, not just the 18350 tube.
Never mind, just found you answered this question already

Just ordered a blue 18350 tube this morning. Have red, green and orange already. These make great little hosts for the coloured Osram emitters and blue was the only 1 missing :slight_smile:

Hi Simon .

Do you have any plan for SFN55.2 and SFH55 ?