Coronavirus **personal experiences** thread

RC. That sucks.
When we first learned of local shots. Nobody had a clue how to signup or where to get them.
We tried my Doc. He wanted us to get it, but had no idea how to get it. The hospital hadn’t a clue. As I said my wife lucked into it at our pharmacy.
My Google Fu is strong. It took me half an hour to find a signup page.
It wasn’t until the Texas health dept. got involved that things got going. And you could actually find a signup page.
Hope you get yours sorted out…
All the Best,
Jeff

The worst part is not knowing if I am eligible, but I consider it a minor problem.

My doctor's office didn't get back to me today, and they're closed now.

They're really bad at returning phone calls, even when they say that's what they'll do.

Locally they just announced that anyone 16 or older can signup for the vaccine. Under 18 must be accompanied by adult. No restrictions other than that.
If you are house bound, you can signup and a police or sheriff unit (depending on city or county location) will chauffeur a med tech and the vaccine to your home to administer the shot.
They are really making a push out here to get everyone vaccinated (or chipped - depending on you tin-foil hat index).
All the Best,
Jeff

Pa is behind national average. Rural areas are under served. At this point I’m lumped in with the last group of 16-64. The county hospital won’t put you on a list for left over vaccines at the end of the day. They claim there aren’t any??? I’m not about to hang around waiting each day for one.

The EMA said not being able to substantiate a negative verdict against the use of the AZ vaccin.
There were a few incidents, but on a total of 18mln vaccinations the pro’s outweigh the con’s.
Who would have thought that.
Their advice was to monitor the outcome and add some specific information on the package leaflet.
Now we are waiting if the RIVM (Dutch CDC) will back that up. Then it is time for politicians again.

Morale: a double negative is an implicit affirmation without use of the much feared yes word.

USA govt info on Different COVID-19 Vaccines

Pfitzer
Information on how well the vaccine works

• Based on evidence from clinical trials, the Pfizer-BioNTech vaccine was 95% effective at preventing laboratory-confirmed COVID-19 illness in people without evidence of previous infection.

Moderna

• Based on evidence from clinical trials, the Moderna vaccine was 94.1% effective at preventing laboratory-confirmed COVID-19 illness in people who received two doses who had no evidence of being previously infected.

J&J

• The J&J/Janssen vaccine was 66.3% effective in clinical trials (efficacy) at preventing laboratory-confirmed COVID-19 illness in people who had no evidence of prior infection 2 weeks after receiving the vaccine.

• The vaccine had high efficacy at preventing hospitalization and death in people who did get sick. No one who got COVID-19 at least 4 weeks after receiving the J&J/Janssen vaccine had to be hospitalized.

• Early evidence suggests that the J&J/Janssen vaccine might provide protection against asymptomatic infection, which is when a person is infected by the virus that causes COVID-19 but does not get sick.”

===

note that I am not suggesting anyone try to cherry pick which vaccine they receive. I recommend accepting whichever one is available to you.

note that the J&J results are based on a much shorter timeframe,
just 2 weeks after first shot of the vaccination. There is no second shot for J&J and immunity continues to increase up to 4 weeks after the shot

The Pfitzer results were based on 4 weeks after the first shot, to develop immunity

Moderna results were based on 6 weeks after the first shot, to develop immunity…

I’m sitting in the lobby waiting for 15 minutes to elapse after receiving the J&J jab. :smiley:

After this discussion I know what to do: No AstraZeneca for me.

feels vaccine will have no effect since the virus will just mutate and those that took it have no protection more or less… uffff when will this ever stop

mortuus, that is not scientific!
Even if there are mutations, if the “core” of the virus is maintained, there will always be some effect! Unless there are so many mutations that this virus morphes in to “something else”.

And this is the reason why people should stop spreading the virus contaminations chains, to prevent more infections, deaths and mutations…

On top of that, it is now much easier and faster to develop and produce booster vaccines, I expect any mutant virus to gets its dedicated vaccin within a few months, especially for those mRNA vaccines, they just type in the updated virus sequence and get the already existing production machinery going, trials can be much shorter because the recipy has hardly changed, most trials can be skipped.

I’m talking the rich first world situation here of course, sadly everything goes much slower in the rest of the world.

Congrats on your single jab vaccine…

I got the J&J one week ago. Had zero reaction, no pain in the arm at all.

The nurse who shot me said her arm hurt so much she had to sleep on the other side for several days… but she is a lot younger than me.

Word is that people over 60 get less reaction than younger people. Possibly because younger immune systems are more active, and attack the vaccine more aggressively.

afaik, the present corona vaccines work on all the present mutations

specific to the J&J, there is a strain of corona in africa that is less responsive to the vaccine, as far as completely preventing infection, but the vaccine still prevents hospitalization and death.

Congratulations Don, and the others that have already been vaccinated! Good luck RC, I hope that you get your vaccine this time.

Here is some vaccine experience from my side:

Being in the EU and 54 years old my official turn for a vaccine will not be before the end of may.

But besides that, I’m in a phase 3 trial for the Curevac vaccine, a german vaccine of the mRNA type, like Pfizer and Moderna. I got my first jab 1.5 weeks ago but had 50% chance of getting the real thing or a placebo (mild salt solution).

The same day I got the jab I was pretty sure that I was in the placebo group because there was no effect at all. But that night I got restless dreams and the next morning I felt pretty lousy and developed a proper headache and muscle ache in various places, but had no fever that I could measure. Where I was injected felt itchy. That went on until the next day and then I was fine again.

So I suspect after all that I’m not in the placebo group, but as a trial should be, I’m not sure. Second dose in 2.5 weeks from now.

Thanks, djozz.
Good news on your side too I think.

It is a trial, the stuff could not work, or be deadly :wink:
But I expect it to be a good candidate vaccin, yes.

Just in case: Thanks for all your contributions to this forum. It was a pleasure to read them, and I’ve learned a lot :+1:

I have read about it. Seems like a good candidate

Are they going to tell you after the trial if you got the vaccine or a placebo?

My doctor's office got back to me today!

They say that I am eligible, but their explanation did not convince me.

I still believe that my doctor doesn't know what he is talking about, and that I am not eligible yet.

I'm okay with that, and I just will wait for my turn like everyone else.

Not every doctor is right all the time, and I will use google to try to confirm what he says in the future.

RC, have you used the CA website to see what it comes up with?

https://myturn.ca.gov/