CRI and dedomed LEDs

Now my tertiary qualifications are in management/marketing not physics/science so bear with me here….

Question is what variation in CRI (Color Rendition Index) might we expect to measure with a normal say neutral white XML2-U2 led (4300?) when it is dedomed and takes on a more halogen yellower tint.

I understand many leds run at 80+ CRI - esp the phosphorous coated leds - and the XMLs we use are phosp coated. CRI will of course depend on initial CW (cool white) to NW (neutral white) tint in the led - the cool white ones tending to bluish tint and often glaring off objects rather than giving good natural color picture. NW gives higher CRI and a better close-to-natural-light picture. But dedomed lights appear better still. Although they have the slight yellowy tint they give better object definition at night - eg when spotlighting foliage depth in trees or delineating grasses in a field.

My uneducated guess is NW is alot better than CW, but same leds dedomed may show even better CRI - although the yellowy tint limits very high CRI.

Thoughts…? Guesses as to what say an XML2-U2 might measure standard and dedomed?

There is a difference between CRI (colour rendering index) and colour temp (K).

A lower colour temp does not mean higher CRI. for example the street lights that are very warm in temperature have almost zero CRI (that’s what they are like here anyway).

As for the CRI on dedomed emitters I am not exactly sure how it is affected. Although I imagine that it would be decreased (even though colour temp is decreased) since many members have reported greenish tints after dedoming. Someone with more experience will have to chime in on that part :slight_smile:

Have never seen green with dedomed XMLs - always a warmer yellowy halogen. It is change we like for hunting because the halogen tint cuts through lights mist and atmospheric crap better.

I have dedomed a fair amount of the higher CRI leds, and unlike the dedomed cool white leds, the tint does not become green or otherwise ugly, a high CRI led dedomes into a tint that is pleasant and probably still high CRI (although I can not measure CRI).

I would believe that dedoming does not normally increase the CRI of a led.