Cyansky P25 V2 Micro-Arc Oxidation Review

Cyansky kindly provided the P25 V2 MAO for review.

Here is my review:

Nice review, I like this light despite the low CRI and tint shift. It is A LOT of light in a pretty small package with good run times and a straightforward UI. The MAO seems fragile on this an on the Wurkkos, is this how all of the MAO lights are? The texture is nice and it looks great but there is already scratches all the way through on in the clip space. I have read that is it better on the environment than HAIII but other than cosmetics, it doesn’t seem to hold up to even a standard black anodization.

From what I understand, the durability of the final coating is highly dependent on the base alloy of aluminum used. Many manufacturers boast of using 6xxx aluminum alloys (calling them aviation grade), but MAO processing on these lights needs careful prep otherwise you may end up with higher proportions of amorphous alumina in the oxide layer, which then winds up being quite weak as we are all finding out. Processing a 2XXX aluminum alloy provides a substrate which is more apt for forming crystalline layers of oxidation, such as crystalline phase corundum (on simplified hardness scale charts corundum is usually next to diamonds).

I caution you though, this post is what you get when someone likes the english language and spends 5 minutes on wikipedia reading about MAO because they want to run 200V through their TS10 to fix the negligent scratches accumulated from trying to fit a homemade titanium clip, so… your milage may vary. :person_facepalming:

Apparently adhering to specific parameters during surface prep by “shot peening” (controlled projectile dimpling of the surface) serves to provide massive improvements in MAO durability for 6061-T6 aluminum alloys, like used by Cyansky here.

https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/abs/pii/S0142112317303924

From what I’ve read, the MAO process could produce a better coating. But the coatings that we’ve seen so far in the flashlight community have scratched and stained easily. I think there’s room for improvement. Is it worth the research and development?