D4 Titanium!!!

I predict the copper head will have WORSE thermal performance than aluminum.

• Copper conducts heat better and the copper head will get burning hot considerably faster. Copper can also store more heat so it will get and stay hotter than anodized aluminum.
  • Shiny copper and titanium has lower emissivity than anodized aluminum so isn’t as good at radiating the heat to atmosphere.
  • The titanium around the head also won’t help. Titanium is a poor conductor of heat and won’t do a good job at wicking heat away from the head. This is unlike the aluminum version whose body tubes are quite thick and do a good job absorbing some of the heat. In the titanium D4, even more heat will stay concentrated in the head, rather than being distributed throughout the light.

End result will most likely be the user will have to keep the temperature sensor set to a lower temperature in the titanium version than in the aluminum version to avoid unwanted burns when trying to activate the button.

The titanium tubes will also help a bit to stop the cells being cooked from the inside and out :smiley:
I’m just dreading doing all the D4 mods again to a ti version :laughing:

I was expecting those Ti D4 since someone posted pictures a few weeks ago… but i’m quite disappointed.

The only one that appeals to me is the raw Ti, but with XPL and 18350 tube it sums up to almost $110. Way too expensive IMO. That’s a few dollars short of what i paid for the GT (first 555). :expressionless:

The colored ones are awful to my taste. None do match the copper head (maybe the C washed out purple one…) and seem to have been ‘designed’ by a color blind person… Not mentioning the $15 premium.

Not the best move by Hank IMO.

I would rather be interested in a copper head and aluminum body (bare or anodized) version if the price is right.

One of our fav lights of 2017 the D4 now has a ti flavour available……………whats not to like. The D4 is a crazy fun light, great UI with pretty much some of the better LED and colour temp options to suit most. I have noticed over the years, fav lights(well so to speak) people tend to want a ti version, be it the more expensive BOSS or limited RA HDS ti. Now a D4ti imo is pretty awesome, who cares if you get 8s of 3500lm instead of 15s(example) of………………its ti. Can be polished, other advantages like being very resistant to chemicals along with looking cool! Also i hate lots of chips and dings in ano, lights can soon look scruffy, ti/stainless holds up better and i prefer these options for certain flashlight applications.

I can not think of a quad(or triple, think $700+ on the stunning ti BOSS here) for around $100 give/take………….in the scheme its a bargain. I like the raw and will be adding it to my D4 family at some point. Not over keen on the coloured ones…………subjective.

I’d rather want to see a test rather than predictions, like the statement the driver will die, which is an invalid statement considering there is a thermal function implemented in the first place.

preditions & thermal ratings versus reality

The best MCPCB does not help if the lights body does not conduct heat well, copper head is good, but titanium sucks

I am in the market for a new edc and that ti raw finish looks so nice.
But will it be brighter than my convoy s2+ 2800 mah when run for more than a few minutes straight? Or will it dim down and not give me the output I would like

Would be nice if the copper head was sold separately.

my best guess would be copper head, aluminum Tube and bezel and titanium tail cap

I disagree with firedome comment. It is the best

Does anyone have a picture of an aluminum one stripped down ?
Someone has to have done it by now .

I agree.

Why?
Only adds unnecessary costs i.m.o, and you get black, copper colour, black, silver gray… :confounded:

Mascuratum de-anodized a 18350 battery tube somewhere.

If he can make a profit out of the TI versions, that’s a good business move, there is a market for TI bling even with flashlights were it’s not ideal to say the least, back in CPF those TI flashlight commanded several hundreds of $ price from MCgizmo, Tain, or thousands from data and sold like hot cakes despite the same endless discussions about the inferiority of TI for flashlight application.

I myself have a TI fetish , not to the point of buying a TI flashlight (wich would go against engineering logic) but a lot of people do.

It doesn’t make the alu version disappear so everyone wins.

I guess my question is why wouldn’t ever manufacturer on the planet offer lights in the raw even before anodized since it’s cheaper .I’m guessing there’s a bigger market for it than they think .

I ordered a D4 titanium with 18350 tube and 4000K XPL HI. I ordered the “F” model (blue gold).

Definitely less practical than aluminum, but I liked that the 18650 tube has knurling on it.

Overpriced.

heheheh, sure, all on point (except ramping, which is actually great IMO)

I found it funny at first when I arrived at BLF that some lights were this high priced, until I ended up following enough external links to actual luxury or faux-luxury flashlights to realize what happens in the “outside”. Plus people show no lack of love for brands like convoy that are very good quality and very fairly priced. I’m ok with a titanium 10 minute hot rod at this price, it’s just not for me. I do have 2 regular emisar flashlights and am waiting on the third thou

Ok to add costs I want a light made from Gold head and silver tube and tail cap

Why?
Because I have here 5 unused ounces of it and its super cool to have blingbling and patina

And I will make sure I never loose this flashlight

Maybe they tossed out a high price to see where it stood.
Seems most here think it’s over priced, maybe they will lower it to a point it sells better.