Do you assist any wildlife (including insects) with anything such as food or shelter?

“…a flock of semi-free range guineas…”

JS721 has the very best in organic
intruder alarm systems available.

Plus comic relief. I’ve flushed things smarter than those birds, but they are hilarious to watch. I could plop down in the yard with a chair and a cooler of beer and watch them do their thing all day.

Several of them will remember they can fly long enough to escape the fenced in part of their run, and then spend 2-3 hours trying to figure out how to get back in. They are speshul.

I love the way JS721 thinks. Great work!

We have a bird feeder with a squirrel collar . We have seen as many as 16 cardinals at once in the yard , as well as every species that lives here or visits during the winter .
We live close to the forth largest body of water in the state , Lake Apopka , so we have lots of hawks and ospreys . Several bald eagles nest near us .

I plant larval plants for butterflies as well as nectar plants for pollinators .

That reminds me...

We have Milkweed for Monarch butterflies.

We also have a ton of other plants that butterflies, bees, and hummingbirds like.

A lot of the food commonly eaten by people these days are not good for wildlife. Our breads often have more sugar and salt than what people should eat, let alone animals and birds. Squirrels like to “squirrel” away everything. When they store bread it may form mold and that is harmful. Bread can be very filling for birds but has little of the nutrition they need. Sugar water for hummingbirds is better than store bought preparations but there is a proper ratio and only white sugar I believe. Depending on the exterior temperature the feeder sugar water will need replacing and the feeder cleaned every 1 to 3 days.

We have taken to providing a variety of suitable habitat, housing for different bird species. They have to forage for themselves for the most part.

With hummingbird feeders one also has to remove the feeder early enough so they can find natural foods when they need to go south in colder weather. Keep the sugar water feeders up too long and the hummingbirds may be caught with no other food source when the feeders are removed. Much better to grow plants that are useful to wildlife.

Deer and elk eat anything they want unless it is behind a 10 foot fence.

That’s why when I saw ’em absconding with whole slices, I made sure that if I saw Baldy Squirrel around, I’d only give him/her a half-slice at a time. Usually just grabs it and perches on the railing, holding it like a blanket and nibbling on it ’til it’s all gone. One isn’t enough, two is too much, so the half-slice usually fills him/her up.

But that’s why I stopped with the peanuts. Eat eat eat, then any “excess” gets taken somewhere and buried.