Double emitter stars

Well there ya have it folks

http://www.fasttech.com/products/1/10009748/1855500-cree-xp-e-q4-7a3-xp-e-d4-16-200lm-warm-white-blue

Saw those the other day.. Ive played with such stars in the past.

Nice…the double emitter zoomie was…….interesting to say the least :slight_smile:

Oh…now do that with a quad…I dare ya :stuck_out_tongue:

Interesting… I would have use for one if it had the White emitter with a RED emiter (instead of Blue) maybe i can just reflow a red on it.

Here you go, bare board, not the same but basicly the same thing.
http://www.fasttech.com/products/1611/10006929/1554905-20mm-aluminum-base-plates-for-cree-xp-g-xp-e-c

Cheers David

Been there, done that. Ugly beam profile with a big black hole in the middle.

Ouch, that’s nasty. Please, take it away! :Sp

Frosted lens or orange peel reflector? Wouldn’t one of those help hide the ugliness a little?

No. It would just be a black hole with softer edges, and why would you even bother? Two LEDs in one reflector won’t work. Perhaps there is another use for a dual emitter MCPCB, but not for flashlights.

Will this IOS MC-E driver work? So we can have 1 emitter switch on at one time. Or maybe police strobe with blue and red LED.

I don't know if it would work, but the driver has next mode memory, so you have to go through all the modes until you come back to the first.

EDIT: it starts on white and continues through RGB and strobes. If you turn it off, it goes back to first mode (white)

I built a light with that driver and an MC-E RGBW emitter, and the beam has a big donut hole in the center.

Dark hole in all projected distance? Cannot be right?

I pulled out my RGBW MC-E and took snaps of the beam profile. For some reason red isn't working, probably a loose wire. My ipad camera has problems capturing exactly what's going on, but you can get a pretty good idea if the lousy beam profile...donut and black hole.

The white profile in the first shot is pretty much accurate.

Somewhat floody — made for me by Nailbender back in 2010 — dual amber XPE, orange-peel reflector, P60
(it was a choice between two XPEs or one Rebel at the time, for about the same output)

I don’t know how he put it together.
Some day I’ll take it apart and look up close.

Without added diffuser film the light was a bit ringy — barely noticeable, no ‘black hole’ just uneven extra brightness slightly off center; adding a diffuser film completely evens out the result. It’s been my mainstay camping/pedestrian light for four or five years now.

Heck, these days, these little emitters are being stuffed side by side into all sorts of light sources, e.g.
http://www.aliexpress.com/store/product/Amber-High-Power-Max-50W-10-CREE-LED-3157-T25-LED-Bulbs-for-Front-Rear-Turn/533894_1759557289.html

That IOS MC-E driver does not have memory. Actually it returns to the first mode within a second after switch-off. This is very handy, if you're stuck in some useless mode (which are quite a few in this driver ) you just half-press and hold the switch for a second to return to the first mode (=useful: white die only)