I’m not very happy with my DQG 18650. The problem is the bottom of the battery tube seems too narrow. Most of my 18650s go in fine until the last few mm where they get completely stuck…. so much so that I had to solder a handle onto one cell and then use pliers to pull out the cell.
The only cell I have that works in the DQG is my 1600 mah AW IMR 18650. But this isn’t a good solution. First, the advantage of the DQG was it’s long battery life. But being forced to use a cell with half the capacity of others destroys that. Secondly, the rather narrow IMR cell rattles around in the light, which makes the light feel very flimsy in the pocket.
I like the neutral tint of the 3C and the beam pattern. Other than that the beam doesn’t really wow. As expected it’s far dimmer than the much smaller, but much brighter pocket rockets I normally EDC.
I think most unprotected cells are going to fit. I have tried a few and all worked.
I have tried two types of protected and none work.
TF Flames would not go in, mostly due to a bump (18.77mm diameter) where the protection strip runs up the side. Length (69.24mm) may have prevented light-up anyway.
Panasonic NCR18650 (2900mAh grey) protected from FT will go in, but will not light up (69.58mm long).
Mods: I have copper braid on the spring, cleaned and lubed the threads, fixed the head O-ring, added a body O-ring.
Other than the slightly green ano tint on the head, I am now satisfied with the light. I have a hard time justifying a $30 price tag though, let-alone the $35 regular price.
I see this light as a solid $20-$25 light if delivered fully and properly assembled.
Wow that sure is not black. The difference with my titanium one is not nearly that dramatic. Actually looks kind of cool… But I understand your disappointment.
I agree with your overall critique relic. Forgot to mention mine did not have either body o-ring installed. I put on both, along with fixing the head arrangement. I can forgive these quibbles on a pre-order first run unit, but I think you have a point on pricing. $35 might be a tad high.
If the whole light was that colour, I think I would be OK with it. It’s a little less obvious in hand, The shot seems to bring it out a bit more.
In any case, I’m going to ask Ric for a replacement head that is black.
Got mine today, Ti color NW tint. Head ano is just a tiny tad lighter, tint is about on par with the neutral on my EagTacs. Did all the same o ring and lubing business as everyone.
For my first budget light, I’m impressed, would buy it again. Was a little worried that my protected 3100mah wouldn’t fit but they do
Ok, found a bad thing. That tail spring is bad, really bad, but luckily it was easy enough to remove and stretch out some, my longer cells smooshed it down so then the unprotected ones turned it into a DQG strobe…
Time to find a locally stocked feasible replacement, not waiting for another month of Sundays to get a spring…
Sorry to hear that then :(… I wonder if thicker O-rings might help/work.
My 2 lights were really loose before I added the 2 O-rings, but after that they’re good. I still keep them in the boxes, and the only time I see that push flash is if I’ve only unscrewed the head slightly.