FW3A, a TLF/BLF EDC flashlight - SST-20 available, coupon codes public

He had to. Probably machined a groove near the head to reverse the clip as well. It looks real good! :partying_face:

I look forward to seeing your results. I plan on ordering at least 3 more once the SST-20s come around, but reports of gritty switches has me concerned.

Nopeā€¦ no groove grinding, body is still stockā€¦.

Yes in the beginning by hand with some Mothers Billet polishā€¦.not very professional but it worked meh ok.

But now it was done on a buffing wheel with the good stuffā€¦ This is just off the bufferā€¦.

Along with my wifeā€™s little sinner tripleā€¦ Titanium really is toughā€¦.PITA to polish, needs a BIT MORE :person_facepalming:

They look perfect!

FW3A looks great polished. Wonderful job you did on that one!

Is the SST-20 really green at low levels? Seems like aside from makku's test nobody else claims it was greenish. I don't see how the LH351D is green either.

Typically, yes, the SST-20 and LH351D tend to have positive duv at low power levelsā€¦ but the tint gets colder and the duv goes down at higher power levels.

If that doesnā€™t make sense, duv is the delta u-v on a tint graph, or the distance from the ā€œpure whiteā€ blackbody locus line (BBL). Positive duv looks more green or yellowā€¦ while negative duv tends to look more purple or pink.

In general, most people prefer somewhat pink tints. So those are what we generally aim for. But itā€™s difficult to get pink-biased LEDsā€¦ especially when looking for high-power LEDs which will often be used at low power levels. LED companies spec their lights at full power, not at the low levels often used in a flashlight.

For example, the SST-20 FA3 tint is approximately at the same place on that graph as the Cree 5A1 binā€¦ so it should be pretty pink. But when itā€™s running at low power, it still has a positive duv, closer to 5B4 on the graph above. And when itā€™s running closer to full power, the tint is actually where the specs say it should be, and it looks nicely rose-tinted.

So SST-20 isnā€™t recommended for people who have a strong preference for rosy tint and plan to use the lights primarily at low power levels. But itā€™s fine for people who use mostly brighter modes or who donā€™t care so much about the duv.

My niches will be in tomorrow the post office says. :slight_smile:

I agree with you, but if you go warmer it isnā€™t the case.

I see a lot of warnings for the sst20 tint on lower levels, but the 3000k sst20s I got from KD are really nice on low levels.

I know 3000k is to warm for some of you, but who wants their bedroom to look like a cold operation room :wink:

I think it would be a good option to with the 3000k sst20s instead of 7a xpl hi and they keep 219c for the 4000k version.

;)

oooo, ahhhh. Is that one on the right titanium and copper? That looks like it would take flame anodizing quite nicely if so.

The FW3A unanodized (Ti/Cu ?) looks much better even less polished because a buffing wheel rounds off all those angles, rounded angles donā€t look good to me.

The FW3A unanodized (Ti/Cu ?) looks much better even less polished because a buffing wheel rounds off all those angles, rounded angles donā€t look good to me.

Mine is getting BUFFED UP to a Mirror finish. In case I need to check my Grill or Comb my wigā€¦. :wink:

While checking new arrivals on fasttech :
Authentic LUMINTOP FW3A LED Flashlight : $49.95 with the code MAP : $38.85

Niceā€¦

On the product page for the Neutral White model it says:

LIGHT SOURCE COLOR 3500-5500K

Are they going to send the 3D or 7A tint at random?

Thanks for the link - interesting price point that is very close to the GB agreement internally.

@Johm

The description says:
ā€œCree XP-L HI 3D(NW 5000K) and Cree XP-L HI 7A(WW 3300K) LED
Cree XP-L HI 1A(CW 6500K)ā€

so when selecting the tint, this is what they would send out.
Not every tint/LED is available, if you canā€™t put it into the basket, the item is sold out (like the Nichia currently?)

@acab

Iā€™m afraid i canā€™t find the information you are referring to.

Sku 9699017 does not specify more than 3500-5500 for me and there is no other listing or selection for NW.

sorry, I was referring to nealsgadget, not Fasttech.

FT only has two models, not the others.

cold and neutral white (warm emitter was left out? and no nichia?)

https://www.fasttech.com/products/1601/10017693/9699017

https://www.fasttech.com/products/1601/10017693/9699016

edit: I do know what you mean, the tint range is wrong in the item description. I am assuming (!), that the neutral is not the warm white emitter.