Headlamp with red light L E

Hi all, can you please recommend a headlamp with red light that can stay longer in high lumens, all I can see is 2, 3 minutes and all go down under 1000, thank you
Le, not the red light to be 1000 l

1 Thank

The runtime of high modes (like 1000+ lumens) mostly depends on thermal mass. More mass means more time before the light needs to regulate down.

Headlamps usually try to minimize mass, because it sucks having a heavy thing stuck to one’s forehead. And it’s even worse when the heavy thing is also really hot.

So headlamps generally don’t stay on high mode for very long.

But maybe there’s something suitable out there. Something heavy.

1 Thank

Welcome on BLF !

1 Thank

Welcome to BLF Pestele!

Maybe not the perfection, but these ones worth a check:
Fenix HM61R
Cyansky HS6R
Cyansky HS5R

This is definetly not a complete list.

Are you gonna use it in a cold environnement ?

1 Thank

I live in UK, so not very much cold, but I can’t see a head lamp high on turbo or high, a was almost buying a acebeam h30 but I read that the lamp run on turbo only with full charged battery, after, no way to achieve torbo, I am wondering about high in that case, thank you

“1000 constant lumen red light headlamp”?- there is no such a thing on market. And i think red light is not measurable in lumens.

2 Thanks

LEDs do generate heat (yes, less than old fashioned bulbs) and too much heat will damage the LED, hence why they step down. Bigger/heavier lights have more mass to heat up before they have to step down. They can also have more surface area for cooling.

Lights with better drivers have active temperature regulation, as opposed to just a ‘dumb’ timed stepdown.

What’s your budget? Including cells and charger?

Preferred cell format?

Any other features (on board charging, etc)?

What current headlamp do you have and what does it not do what you need?

If you let us know your intended use, you might get more directed suggestions :slight_smile:

1 Thank

Thinking … you can check the Fenix HM61R. It has a hidden red light emitter.

850 lumens for 75 min on a 3500 mah 18650 battery. In connection with the comments above: this is based on a cooled runtime test.

I know it’s not >1000 lumens, but the difference between 850 and 1000 lumens is like the difference between 85 and 100 lumens: virtually imperceptible to our human eyes.

2 Thanks

Thanks for reply, I have a wurkoss hd20, a xhp70 and a biruit, nothing fancy, I need one with red or other auxiliary light, a more flodder than a thrower, bright enough to see in distance but quite low for reading, fishing, camping, buget could go to 150.

I have this Cyansky HS6R https://www.amazon.com/CYANSKY-Rechargeable-Flashlight-Waterproof-Headlamps/dp/B09LYGGRYX?th=1
I am not sure of the red output (lumen) though

1 Thank

You can have a look at the Fenix HP30R v2.0. That’s a big headlamp on the head I’m afraid. Expensive too. It meets most of your needs.

https://budgetlightforum.com/t/fenix-hp30r-v2-review-runtime-beamshots-2-21700-xhp50-2-2-xp-g2/70173

1 Thank

Don’t know if you are aiming at obtaining a 1,000 lumen red light. Considering our eyes are not so sensitive to the red fraction in visible light, it takes a lot more than 1,000 lumens to get the same impression. Add that to the fact that red emitters are not as efficient as regular emitters, you almost need an electric stove to satisfy your needs.
BTW regular lightmeters have a filter that emulates the sensitivity distribution of colors in the human eye. I think that you need to re-consider the term “lumen” for a pure red light. Cause you only need a specific part of the emission of a regular light.

1 Thank

If you want it floody but also want distance, perhaps you should look instead for a headlamp which has two separate emitters… one for flood and one for throw. A light which is 5X as throwy uses 1/5th as much power to reach the same distance, has 5X the runtime, is far less prone to thermal throttling, and has the added benefit that it doesn’t make the near field too bright to see into the distance. Like, instead of 1000 lumens for distance, maybe you only need 200 lumens and a more focused beam?

As for red, I’m not really sure what the benefit is. I’m familiar with the claims about preserving night vision, but a low white mode generally accomplishes the same goal. Do you work in a photo darkroom or something, where there are restrictions on which wavelengths can be used?

1 Thank