High CRI vs High Lumens (and 4000k vs 5000k), what should be my deciding buy-factor? (Sofirn SP36 vs upcoming SP36 Pro)

True. I have them in my FW3A.
Mike

I would definitely go with LH351D over the 5000k SST40 .Honestly for the SP36 I would go with the 5000k LH351D over the 4000k LH351D as well. They are going to have a bit more output than the 4000k (not a big difference) but the 4000k tend to be super green-tinted, even in comparison to the 5000k which seems to be still green, but less so than the 4000k. They have just as good of color, so for less green + slightly better output, I would stick with the 5000k LH351D

Interesting, I haven’t thought about it that way. I tend to prefer warmer tints and because I saw a picture somewhere comparing the SP36 in the 3 tint variants, I liked the 4000k the best. When I use the SC31 Pro SST40 5000k and compare it to my C01S I feel that I like the warmer tint a bit more. I haven’t used the SC31 Pro that often though so I haven’t noticed the green tinting that much, but thanks for informing me that the LH351D also has green-tint-problems. I’ll have to look up more pictures comparing them all.

And just to confirm, let’s say I was not sure about the emitter but was sure about the 5000k color temperature, you’re saying that I should choose the LH351D because its higher CRI?

Thanks for the feedback, really appreciated!

If anyone can point me to some good frontal (beam)shots of the LH351D in 4000k and 5000k that would be really appreciated! I already searched a bit on BLF and Google in general but don’t seem to find good direct comparisons…

Does anyone know when the SP36 Pro and Q8 Pro are due to be released?

Sofirn said the SP36 Pro should start selling at the end of the month on their site (sofirnlight.com)
Waiting for next batch [AMZ US Available Now] $49.99 Sofirn SP36 Anduril Version - #197 by Sofirn

No idea about the Q8 Pro, it’s the first I’ve heard from it!

Thanks for the explanation, makes sense I guess :slight_smile:

I must have hit the tint lottery with my SP36. I’m going to try to post beam shots of mine against a pure white 6000k light so that others can see that not all SP36 are green. BTW, mine was shipped Sept 15, 2020. I am sure they have been through different lots of LEDs through the years, so YMMV.

Much appreciated! You got the 4000k version then I assume? Crap you’re not making it easier for me haha, I suppose I’d prefer 4000k over 5000k but since I just won a giveaway I suppose I won’t win the tint lottery :person_facepalming:

Honestly I would PREFER the 4000k myself if it weren’t so green, but for some more perspective so you can just… you know, ignore my perspective since I’m not you and this is just my opinion. . .

The issue I have with the 4000k LH351D is actually the combination of it’s greenness and the corona when used in reflectors. I haven’t seen the 4000k SP36 in person so with it being a quad emitter it may blend well enough for that not to be a problem.

So honestly, my real opinion is… just get what you want and see if you like it, and if you do then awesome! If you find it too green, I have a lot of Lee 804 minus green filter and would be very willing to just send you a piece to solve the green problem anyway

Aha I see :slight_smile: Yeah I hope I can find some good beamshots of the 4000k/5000k LH351D…
That filter you are talking about (never heard about it, thanks for informing me!), do you apply it over the glass lens? That could indeed be a very good solution to the possible “problem”!

Any idea if/when you’ll be able to post some beamshots :slight_smile: ?

Just send me a PM and I can just drop a piece in the mail for you. And envelope-size piece should do a good number of lights if you end up getting more to use it on. You can just look up “Lee Minus Green” or “Lee Zircon” on here to get more information on it. LH351D + Lee Minus Green 804 is a pretty killer combo for tint/color rendering/output.

Thanks, I’ll look into it :smiley:

I ordered a C8G from the Sofirn website and specifically asked Barry for the new 5000K version as listed on AliExpress. Barry replied that the CW C8G on the Sofirn website is the same product being sold on the AliExpress website listed as 5000K. Seems like there is no C8G in 5000K available and the info on AliExpress is incorrect. Barry was super helpful and I got the light in 9 days though, really nice light just a pity about it being CW. I am thinking about getting a Convoy M21A with SST40 5000K.

Ah damn that’s kinda sad but not totally unexpected I suppose :frowning: I don’t plan to use the light all that often so perhaps I won’t really mind… Thanks for the info!

Maybe the new C8K could have 5000k? (Page Not Found - Aliexpress.com) it should use a SST40 emitter, the C8G has a Cree XHP35…

I did some more testing with my Sofirn SC31 Pro (SST40, 5000k) and I can now see the green tints people are referring to :confused: Does the LH351D at 4000k have the same amount of “green” as the SST40 5000k? Or is it worse?

If anybody can link me to some side-by-side comparisons of the Sofirn SP36 BLF Anduril 4000k vs 5000k against a white wall/certain in/outdoor scenario’s that would be much appreciated!

Beat me to it, but yeah, all of the above.

I can’t even tell the difference in lights that are, say, 1000lm vs 1300lm, 1500lm vs 2000lm, etc. The differences are more for meters than eyeballs.

I thought my first 2000lm light would daylight my whole yard vs my now-anæmic 1000lm light, but I was underwhelmed at the difference. A bit brighter, sure, but not the clouds-part-and-sunlight-streams-forth difference I was hoping for.

Thanks for posting this; saved me from ordering a light I wouldn’t want.

Truthfully, I found your post via Google. I was on the Sofirn Aliexpress store page and my Spidey-senses started tingling when I read their cheeky little note:

“stock ship from China now is 5000k color, hurry up ”

I was like: yea…that doesn’t sound fishy in the least :person_facepalming:

The human eye is capable of seeing in very low light conditions. A 30% increase in brightness is much less perceptible to a dilating pupil.
On the other hand, the human eye will not add colour to a scene that lacks it. The 30% trade off in lumens is always worth it in my opinion for a high cri light all else being equal (tint, cct, etc).

In the even that the high CRI light comes in your prefered CCT, its a no brainer to me.
A high CRI light will usually only feel underpowered when you shine a brighter light next to it. On its own, the difference in brightness is much less important :slight_smile:

Last but not least, how throwy an LED is highly affects your perception of brightness. The SST20 is very throwy, so may appear equally bright to a brighter but floodier LED.