How do they deliver from China to most of us with delivery included?

Ordering from China, I’m not going to moan.

I’ve placed some order’s now over the last few month’s and some more recently.

I’m realising now that it’s pointless tracking a product every day.

When the package is between China and it’s destination in a sort of no man’s land it doesn’t show anything at all. Even when they arrive in the UK which is relatively small they aren’t here long before they’re delivered and our Post Office tracking doesn’t show anything until the delivery day. :open_mouth: The tracking helps with any claim on lost package’s, over in China it shows that it has been despatched. I understand the system now.

I didn’t realise that the delivery costs from China were so small and it was mainly made up of the cost once it reaches the UK. I’m not sure if the cost is subsidised by the Chinese government to increase exports.

It’s mind boggling that an item is sent almost 5000 miles with delivery included in the price! :open_mouth:

7000 miles from Beijing to New York, Beijing to California is 6000 miles.

Obviously it’s even further to other part’s of the world and some inaccessible location’s give problem’s.

And that is just the shipping! Just imagine what the profit margins are on the actual products…
It would be fun to see for how little the lights, LEDs, electronics and parts are actually manufactured.

Yeah, shipping must be subsidized. I can order an item for a couple of dollars to Canada, delivery included! I can’t even send a letter to China for that price. As said, tracking is kind of useless once the item leaves China. You get tracking info while it’s in China, but after that you don’t see any more info until it’s delivered a month later. Well, to Canada via standard air-mail, that is the case. Maybe you get better tracking if you’re willing to pay for fast shipping.

Here is an article on the topic.

A letter on it.

Yes, there is no tracking from China to the destination. Only a showing of departure and arrival. Anything can happen in between and you could never find out if it was lost, other than it never got there.

The US and other nations subsidize China's shipping and have done so for years. It is costing us billions in subsidies. Since the money comes from us, in the end, it's probably very expensive to buy from China, but we just don't think abut all that tax money going for subsidies that we don't know about.

I know in recent year’s the Chinese enocomy has been increasing at some rate, but on the news last week or the week before that I’m not if they were saying it might’ve started to slow. Not much news for me recently as I’m finding it’s so depressing, I’m not sure what the current situation is and if I was hearing right about their economy slowing.
ps. Old Lumens, I’ve watched your attaching 7135 chip’s video’s a few times now a long with Richard’s from Mountain Electronics. Much appreciated, they’ve helped a great deal. :slight_smile:

You’re not kidding, the companies involved in production, transport, assembly etc, mostly it does produce a profit.

That’s a real eye opener. :open_mouth:

I recall hearing a while ago about the cheapest item available from China delivered to the UK on ebay was £0.99 , 99 pence. I’m sure they said a minimum limit was introduced at that price and if wasn’t there they could sell at an even lower price and the companies in China would still make a profit. If that makes sense!

The bargains aren’t just in Postal Service. FedEx and DHL (I have never researched UPS rates, so I don’t know about UPS) from China to the USA is about 1/3 the price of USA to China. It is unlikely the Chinese Government is subsidizing either FedEx or DHL. I see the same thing on FedEx shipments from India. Outbound to the USA from India is about 1/3rd the price of Inbound to India.

I suspect the real issue is we have an oligopoly at work in the USA with the business belonging almost entirely to UPS and FedEx with DHL a distant 3rd. The result is we pay substantially more than we would if there were more competitors in the US market. Then we have the USPS who is forced to substantially subsidize deliveries to remote locations where FedEx and UPS charge Delivery Area Surcharges on top of the regular rates. This artificially inflates costs for most USPS users because of the need to subsidize remote area deliveries, and certain classes of mail.

If you don’t have a contract with DHL, DHL is incredibly expensive relative to UPS or FedEx. IIRC the USPS Priority Global Express Guaranteed product is actually the DHL network.

My guess is that the Chinese government subsidizes part of that cost. It’s also their MO as a manufacturing empire: sell everything at a loss if necessary until there are no competitors left standing, and then raise the price. Just my two cents.