How often do you use USB charging vs a regular charger and swapping out cells ?

I don’t want 1a or 2a on a 14500 or 18350 light if possible. I agree though for 18650 it is ok. kind of becomes an issue for me on (hypothetical) lights with proprietary/nonstandard cell at or around 18650 size where I’d prefer to charge at 3-500ma to maximize lifespan of cell.

2 Thanks

Respectfully, you guys are severely over-dramatizing the topic. Sincerely hope a budding flashlight enthusiast doesn’t come on here and read all this fear mongering that has absolutely nothing to back it up and push themselves away from USB charged lights.

2 Thanks

What was mentioned in this thread is not conjecture. There have been countless posts on BLF regarding issues with USB charging on flashlights.

Real problems from real owners telling real stories.

2 Thanks

Anyone can find a trashy charger from a trashy company that doesn’t charge batteries correctly. Here’s a plug in charger example:

https://lygte-info.dk/review/Review%20Charger%20Bowei%20HC-103W%20UK.html

So, from this one example, am I supposed to conclude that plug in chargers are dangerous and should not be used?

If you know of a flashlight from a reputable company that BLF often recommends (wurkkos, sofirn, etc) that is making a dangerous charging scenario today, please let us know. I have not found one in any that I have purchased.

I think we all agree that there is definitely a way usb charging can be implemented safely, and it is done so on most reputable lights.

2 Thanks

As mentioned, the problems with built in charging is well documented on BLF. Not looking to be argumentative. Yes there are many positive stories but too many negative ones. All documented on BLF. Have a nice day.

3 Thanks

I don’t agree that there are too many negative stories, I believe there are very few from reputable companies, just as many as plug in chargers.

Xtar, one of if not the leading charger brand has had plenty of issues I’m sure we’re all aware of. Ex:

My point is that these sweeping statements that “USB not safe” are disingenuous.

1 Thank

I’ve been reading here for years now. I don’t see a pattern of faulty usb chargres coming up.

2 Thanks

I’ve seen alot of conjecture.

1 Thank

OK. Let’s say that some USB charging implementations are not optimal. Those budding flashaholics often have no way of knowing what they have. Do I say to avoid all USB charging? No I do not, but that wasn’t the question posed by the OP of this topic. It was how often do you use USB charging vs a regular charger… I merely said I use a good known quality dedicated charger 90% of the time. And then tried to tell people what my rationale is for doing it. Some proponents of USB charging mention that my concerns are not valid. Strange for folks that worry about a few decimal places of DUV and spend lots of time talking about optimizing current paths or just agonizing about clip design. We go to great length to make everything as good as we can. In that vein, maybe we might agree that being able to control and monitor things like termination voltage and current have value. This can’t be done with USB charging. So just perhaps we can agree that there is a better way to charge cells than USB recharging without considering that to be some kind of personal affront or threat to new flashlight users. I have no problem with someone else using USB charging as long as they know the limitations and liabilities of doing that. I just prefer a dedicated quality charger.

Letting people know my thoughts is hardly disingenuous. They are simply things that I have learned through many years of dealing with cylindrical cells and their use and care. Better is, well, better! A good dedicated charger is … better.

1 Thank

I mentioned specifics about several USB chargers in my possession that do not meet specs and treat cells in a suboptimal manner. Not conjecture, hard facts.
I say if you love USB charging, go for it. I prefer not to. Can I express that fact without upsetting folks? You know, live and let live…

1 Thank

Just speaking in generalities. Peace.

My posts were not replies to OP or yourself, they were replies to someone being disingenuous

Update 2: any recommendations for a very simple UI, preferably neutral LED, single cell, USB rechargeable sofirn light with low parasitic drain?

Do you have a Sofirn HS10? Great little headlamp. At 4000K has a nice neutral tint and good floody beam. Magnetic base, too. It’s my go-to around the house work light.

More to the point, at less than $20 with battery and built-in USB-C charging that would be a relatively inexpensive item to use to throw in a spare charge port cover.

1 Thank

Hi Welcome to BLF! Yes already have an HS10, it’s next on the modding bench for an LED-swap when I have time

1 Thank

The only lights I use USB charging on, are those with non-removable cells.

If a light is available with the same features but no USB port, I’ll choose the non-USB version.

I think I’ve used the USB charging on my lights maybe 5 times, and 2 of those were only because my 8-bay charger was full.

I see the usual “rubber flap” style ports as a downside, as it decreases the water resistance and usually looks ugly with time.

2 Thanks

I know that on a theoretical level a USB port is going to decrease water resistance, but has anyone ever experienced a light fail from water ingress from using it in the rain? Genuine question.

3 Thanks

Zanflare lantern only charged via usb port, to the point I don’t even snap the flap shut, as I charge it probably twice per week after using it probably 3hrs a pop in the bafroom at 100% humidity, condensing.

So almost daily use like that for a few years already, zero issues.

1 Thank

I am happy to have brought forward such a divisive topic . :slight_smile:

2 Thanks

Sometimes lights with internal chargers and USB connectors, also have proprietary batteries. I usually avoid lights that combine internal chargers with proprietary batteries.

I did used to consider USB charging to be a desirable feature, despite having a standalone charger that I got a few years back to go with my SC64. “What if I’m away from home?” Now, I’m completely neutral about it. My favourite lights happen to not have USB ports (purely incidental) and experience has shown that if I’m away for the weekend going with a full battery will suffice, possibly taking a spare battery too. For longer trips I think I would rather take a single-bay charger than a light that I like less.

1 Thank