How safe is this bulb?

Three of these were given to me by a friend who bought them who knows where, two have opened themselves (what to use to reseal them?), the third is intact.

I tried them out for a few seconds and they work but may have 20 lumens coming out of it, the website referenced on one of the pics is gone.

Right click and view image to see any pic in full size

Don’t ever trust any chinese made no brand AC electronics. Not worth it.

i would not, all my LEDs are Philips from Home Depot, but since there are electrical experts on BLF i figured someone might be able to tell from the pics

Where do this bulbs from?

It looks fairly decent. The circuit is easy enough to guess.

All the leds are at mains voltage, i.e. the front must have good isolation.

There might also be some distances in the circuit that are a bit short, like between vcc2 and gnd1.

i have no idea, but the website doesn’t work but according to the wayback archive it was a chinese website. I figure its probably from a flee market or a local chinatown.

the top sits in the groove you can kind of see in the second pic and the circuitry is free floating, when you say they are at mains voltage does that mean they are all in series?

How many are there in there?
Can’t be more than 70 in series to work on 220Volts, or more than 40 to work on 125, right?

At least two strings, but it can be more.

The circuit uses a capacitor to drop voltage, then rectify it with a bridge and feed it to the leds. There are two of these dropper circuits.

would this pass CE certification as the sticker claims?

Probably, as long as the outside is isolate enough and the temperature is safe.

They have even placed discharge resistors across the capacitors.

I have to agree with this.

The no name LED I tested last week got so hot the solder softened and the metal pin fell into the GU5.3 globe. The PCB then fried itself. Had some smoke and the internals of the plastic cap partially melted.

> Don’t ever trust any chinese made no brand AC electronics. Not worth it.

I have to agree. I’m on the US 110v system.
That’s safer than the 220v mains system when something fails in a dangerous way.

These things do. Plastic cracks, covers fall off, solder melts, insulation melts, badly soldered wires just fall off boards.

Hey, what’s the worst that could happen?
(Worst — aside from injury or fatalities — is probably a fire inspector blaming an unsafe product and your insurance company not covering the fire)