how to start programining atmel?

has any body good any good reading links to start programming torch drivers? as in how to write the code.

the code dictionary too?

thank you.

oh…

I’m not that familiar with Atmel but the concept is the same among microcontrollers. I taught myself the Microchip PIC microcontroller and what I did was purchase a PIC programmer. I’m sure there is something similar that is for Atmel. I purchased a microcontroller that I wanted to experiment with…………preferably a dip type package so that I could prototype on an experimental proto board. You need to have a power supply to be able to power it up. Download the data sheet for the microcontroller. This should also have the op codes or instructions that can be used. I downloaded the free MPLAB-X assembly software where you generate your code, assemble it and then send it off to the programmer. I’m sure there are similar products and items for the Atmel.

It really helps to have a project that you want to do. That motivates one to actually learn when there is an end result. I also found lots of code examples on the internet. The first thing to do is just to get to the point where you can actually toggle a bit and read a bit on a port.

Arduino is originally based on programming Atmel microcontrollers (Today they support many other). Most of the microcontrollers are to large for flashlight, but the ATTiny85 is supported by Arduino and is small enough for a flashlight.
This is a possible way to start.

thank you guys…

i have a breadboard, power supply i can implement in several ways… hmmm
i have Atmel studio too, just looking for starting points that don’t end in endless googling. boy have i searched, but obviously not in the right places.(gone a bit snow blind here).

tbh honest all i’m intrested in at the moment is getting a seamless stepper driver going for torch’s, perhaps a booste mode. At the moment its looking like contact lexal or some one on here, but, i’m thinking half my torch’s may well be programable now, and will be later.

can C or C language be ‘translated’ to atmel’s language?

That is what Arduino does with the gcc compiler. Arduino also add some Arduino specific code, that takes up extra space in the controller.

With very small microcontrollers the overhead of a compiler may be to much and assembler is necessary.

Yes. I write my driver firmware in Atmel Studio using C.

ooo cheers MikeC

ahh found it