Interesting observation playing with throwers

I had a friend visit over the weekend, and we went out around 10:00-11:00 at night playing with my throwers. I have the 5x XR-E TR-1200 and a modded Mag using the DX ~50mm optic and a single R2-binned XR-E. I'm familiar with what I can see while shining the flashlight around, but this time, I had him shine the light in my direction while I stood away from him.

My typical target is a light-colored barn ~700' (213m )from my house, per Google Earth. The TR-1200 lights up the barn, but not extremely brightly. The aspheric mag will light the high-contrast barn brightly, but lower-contrast objects are more difficult to spot. Standing at the barn, the light was very bright, and looking back toward the house, the light source was dazzling. What surprised me was that standing with my back to the light and looking past the barn, I could make out features of the tree-line located ~3000' (914m) from the house! I am guessing that at closer distances, the combination of looking along the beam at it's brightest combined with light scattering reduces night vision resulting in a decreased visible range.

Another interesting observation was viewing the air density changes/current(?). My friend took the flashlight (TR-1200 I belive) to the barn and directed it back to where I was at the house. There was a pattern of shifting/drifting spots projected onto the white exterior wall of the house. It was interesting to see; has anyone else noted this effect?

I'll also add: My neighbors probably hate me by now... Embarassed

Which one threw the furthest?

Hmmm, maybe we should be putting snoots on all our throwers?

Use binoculars with flashlight to negate reduced night vision and increase acuity. It's a perfect combination.

Now where can we find budget binoculars?

Manafont just listed a few binoculars, 60x90 for $47 i wonder if these are real.

I can't imagine what such a combination would be used for. I can see 20x90 but 60?

I certainly wouldn't buy binoculars from Manafont (or any Chinese discounter). I would think 10x50 is what someone would want as described above. You want to end up with an exit pupil of 5 or 6 or somewhere in that range. Exit pupil is aperture (50 mm) divided by magnification (10). You also don't want to get above x10 unless you are going to use a tripod. 7x35 might be even more appropriate depending on what you are doing.

The problem with cheap binos/telescopes is, the images don't look too good with the chromatic abberations, lack of resolution/contrast etc.. It is like 8 megapixels from say the up-and-coming iPhone 5. A 4-megapixel dSLR with a prime lens from 2002 would have the iPhone's ass handed to it. Heck I think even a 2-megapixel dSLR from year 2000 would win!

You'llnotice this even more with coherent light (lasers).

@Why would you worry about who can throw a flashlight the farthest ..I've never understood this thrower thing ...

While I agree with you for the most part it isn't purely a matter of cost. At $47 if you look around you can get a decent pair of binoculars...not the best but decent.

However x60 magnification is more than I normally use with my telescope to locate things. In a pair of binoculars it's ridiculous. I just bought a pair of 15x90 binoculars for about $55 that are strictly for star watching and I will mainly be using a tripod. You can also buy that same pair online at Target for $99 and until recently they were going for much more elsewhere including directly from the dealer (Celestron). Technology improved among other things and prices came down. This pair is using Bak7 (rather than4) prisms and the optics are fully coated.

You can generally find the best prices through Amazon which includes all the companies that sell through Amazon. There is no need to use Manafont for this. However before buying binoculars you really need to understand the specs.

There's no shame in not understanding something.

The aspheric-modded Mag threw much further than the TR-1200. I always knew this light would shine far, but never realized just how far.

Throwers are useful for spotting animals at night. I live in the country in a very dark area and have a lot of wildlife around. The thrower makes it easy to sweep the pasture looking for their eyes at night. The thower with a pair of binoculars is really good at making out distant animals. So far, I've had deer, racoons, skunks, and as of last weekend, a wild pig in my back yard. I just enjoy watching them at night.

Another good use for a thrower is nighttime boating. An aspheric thower makes it easy to spot markers, jugs, stumps, and the like without ruining your night vision like a spotlight will.

Throwers are fun to play with. And they’re good for when you’re fishing and/or hiking if you need to see if anything is ‘out there’ further out. But a powerful flooder will be quite good too. But mainly the laser beam effect is really satisfying for some odd reason.

Yea but pencil beam throwers with aspheric lens are practically useless to me since you have no spill whatsoever to find anything in the first place like a good XM-L thrower will provide.

I agree about the aspherics, which is why I only have two… but as I said before; they’re fun :slight_smile:

But now if they would make them like the Small Sun ZY-C10-S I would be all for them.

Slewflash,

Your post came up when I was typing. I was responding to keltex78.

At extreme ranges the aspherics do have some practical use. But up close at 100yds or less they suck.

Throwing far needs bigger arms, and big arms are a sign of big heavy flashlights, therefore one who can throw the farthest must have the biggest flashlight and uses it a lot.

Sometime I need Aspheric Thrower to shine Something that I don’t want spill to annoy Someone :wink:

I think boaz is making a joke about physically throwing flashlights :smiley: That would be one hell of a durability test, maybe Foy can start adding it to some reviews