Introducing Ceilingbounce - flashlight testing and runtime graphs for Android

Just wanted to say thanks again for this app. Just ran my first little runtime graph to see the turbo step down on my TR20 with Note 10 - worked great!

Thanks too for the app. I’ve never used it but plan to try it out. I can try it out on a S7 or Note 5, any one tried either or suggest which may be best?

Anyone know how to install the app? It’s not an APK file, but a bunch of smaller files which I can’t download to my phone. I tried downloading all the files on my pc and transferred them to the phone, but that didn’t really get me anywhere. Is there something I’m missing? I’d like to use this app if possible. Thanks

Sirstinky, the apk is here to download: https://github.com/zakwilson/ceilingbounce/releases

Under each pre-release section there is an Assets section containing the source code zip and tar.gz files and the apk file. Tap/click here to download too (0.2.2-alpha version).

Awesome! Thanks for pointing me in the right direction. I was able install the app. Seems like a cool deal.

thanx for app!

will try it

btw, can anyone advise android app , that can measure PWM / strobe frequency of flashlight? such data would be great addition to my reviews

in PM ,please, i may not see your post here

This app is great. I built an integrating shoebox and did some tests. First time I’ve seriously tested my lights. Bottom line for this to be more than a toy is to have a light with verified output #’s as a baseline for calibration. If you do, the app gets it pretty close, but not a substitute for a dedicated luxmeter in any way shape or form. You do need to play with it a bit to get the most out of it. The readme is helpful for that. Thanks for making this for the flashlight enthusiast community Zak!

Hi,

Can someone show me how to make a runtime graph from the CSV file in Excel, I’m having a hard time. I left the test going too long so it messed up the pre-made graph the app makes.

Thank you for creating this app. This should be useful for many of us. Nice work and keep it up!

You need to save the data files and export the .csv file. In excel, copy and paste the data into a spreadsheet with the output on one side and the time in the other to make your graph axis. The data might be wonky, so you might run into issues with that. I tried it that way and had issues, so I use Google Sheets now since they have better format options. It’s time consuming, but you have more about to customize it.

Is there anybody who can update the app with some settings?

For example: set the time interval for measurements. Right now, for long runtime graphs, the file will hang your pc.... if you open it in a Google spreadsheet.

(BTW. It's not for me, because I do it a different way, but for the community, that could be a pretty nice upgrade)

Some of the libraries and tools used in development are abandonware, so putting together a working build environment is… difficult. I’ve been contemplating a rewrite, which would get a number of new features.

I am a happy ceilingbounce user, thanks again for your contribution to the flashaholics Zak !

I’m happy with it but it badly needs a way to configure the intervals for runtime. Also asking for confirmation to stop a test would be nice, I accidentally tapped twice and it overwrote the test

Did you figure out how to make the graphs?

I’m thinking about sharing a template Google Docs spreadsheet to just drop in the CSV data, run text-to-columns and then paste into the sheet where it will auto fill on a line chart to produce the graph.

I was able to figure out how to make one graph of a single measurement, but I was struggling to get two or more on the same chart. I could get the chart to show two but couldn’t get the left axis to show the correct data.

1lumen sent me a video but without a slow step by step for formulas I was still lost. Google Sheets is way easier than Excel but still takes a bit of learning.

I should record what I’m doing and upload it so I can get some pointers

I made a google sheet to share with you. You should be able to paste the data direct from the CSV to the “2. Sorting” tab

Then click text to columns from the dropdown right after you paste:
https://drandalls.files.wordpress.com/2021/01/one1.png
Copy column A from tab 2. Sorting Sheet
Paste column A in any of the columns B through F on tab 1. Data
Data can now be added to the chart on tab 3. Chart 1, please see picture below
https://drandalls.files.wordpress.com/2021/01/two2.png

I made the limits 1000 lumens and 600 minutes so it should be enough, if not adjusting the vertical/horizontal axis is fairly easy. I don’t know your comfort level so I tried to make it drop-in as much as possible. The time values in column A are close enough for every runtime from the app that you do not need to adjust.

Hopefully this helps and does not make you more confused :person_facepalming:

You will have to download the file from Docs and then upload to your own Sheets to edit the workbook: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1RrJ337xb_L3gZBAcMbvIyE2VQzG-9LGE/view?usp=sharing

I really appreciate it, I’ll have a play once I get some free time and let you know how I get on

Thank you

Just having a play with this, thanks again :slight_smile:

I was doing everything very wrong, so this template is gold