Introducing Moi........................

Hi gang,

Hailing here from mostly sunny North County San Diego.

I just want to say this is a great site of talented techies & possible assorted near-misses if I ever saw one. I’m honored to be amongst such a grand group of obvious great minds, budget-minded skinflints, and anti-hoatie-toatie down to earths. It’s refreshing. No attitudes, just dudes.

My first foray into flashaholicism began in retropect with this little guy……The David 19 or the Digitac II, Model 7847 in satin sexy black which was lauded as one of the great gadgets of the year by Wired Magazine. I fell for it. It’s actually still my primary EDC to this day. It’s (even with a gasp Luxeon LED) one of the great bargains of all time at the time, IMO. I mean, it’s got 24K contacts for Gawd’s sake. Who does that now with the price of gold in quad-digits when I paid $14.95 for it? What is this lite for some you may ask due to it’s antiquated nature? A Coast Led Lenser that I bought in severe irrational quantity when being blown out I would say a good 5 years ago at Costco. (Or as I say, Cashgo ’cause most of my cash goes there.)

Anyway, I’ve abused this little lite like nobody’s biz. Dropped it, kicked it, thrown it, you name it, its had it done to it. And it keeps ticking. So much so that I’ve never replaced it even though I still have aplenty in their original clamshells. It’s put together like a veritable little tank, and oh the machining and fitting on the little bugger including the super tight clean-cut knurling, the tuff anodizing, the forward clickie, the way it curves here and there into the hand so comfortably, well as you might tell I just love this little rascal. Only about 42 lumens but man for what it is it works for about 95% of what I encounter every day. It’s strapped to me like a Presidential Rolex and I feel naked if I ever leave home without it. You know the feeling?

But for those who don’t know here it ’tis in bits and pieces as it’s still being barely sold (though Coast Mfg. has discontinued it)……

http://www.amazon.com/Coast-LED-Lenser-LL7847-Digitac/dp/B000CSG5OK/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1345846669&sr=8-1&keywords=Digitac+II

http://www.led-torches.co.uk/product_info.php/info/p11432_Coast—LED-Lenser—LL7847-David-19-DigiTac-II-Black-Luxeon—LED-torch-1AA.html

http://www.flashlightreviews.com/reviews/coast_round-up.htm#LL7847

Anyway, that little stupid Digitac II planted the seed. And what a big seed it’s starting to become. Within just two months of falling victim to this TERRIBLE DISEASE in earnest I now own, a Skyray King, a TrustFire X8, a poopy load *of those XP-G LumenMasters 200’s (of course, bought at Cashgo) , an X2000 in 18650, a Mini-01, a Jacobs A60 in shipping, an XinTD C8 Version 3 in NW also on the way, and others in the queue which I just couldn’t resist. I’m running out of room. Why o’ why sweet mother of mercy didn’t someone tell me how addicting these things are? I’m in bad shape boys and girls. Bad shape. Please help. Is there a 12-Step Program?

As an amateur machinist with a home hobby shop (lathe & mill, plus other sundries) I will try in the future to cobble together some flashlight ideas I have to which no doubt will probably appear to most of you as pretty laughable compared to the stuff I’ve seen being done here and elsewhere. Amazing stuff. The electrical wizardry alone leaves me speechless. I’m trying to learn, but man there is a lot to learn. I kinda feel overwhelmed. Anywho, I would really like to see someone here update that little ancient Digitac II to today’s master-blaster standards. I’d turn purple with pride. But I’d still keep on me an original just like it is. 8)

Later,

Lumatic

The gift of gab you got, brother.

Welcome to BLF! Look forward to seeing some of your machine work.

Yeah, I figured I’d just get out of the way now a bunch of useless jazz nobody cares about. I’ll try more brevity next time.

Thanks for the welcome. 8)

Welcome to the family, Lumatic!!

Welcome to the BLF, Lumatic. I hope you enjoy your stay.

Welcome Lumatic.

Very articulate. Nice intro…

Thanks! I just wish I was even close to being as articulate in electronics as most of you. Although the machining aspect is part of the allure for me in this burgeoning and very interesting hobby, having the electronic knowledge and skills to put ideas together and create a thing of luminescent beauty is still waaaaaaaaaaaaay off. I think I need a mentor. :bigsmile:

Btw, Old-Lumens in particular just blows me away on what he’s able to do with just a vise and file. True craftsman hand-only skills which few really have. Actually, I’m blown away by everyone’s knowledge and skills on this site.

Lumatic

Yeah, OL is amazing with hand tools. He was one of the main reasons I joined the forum.

G’day mate. Welcome. I am not an addict :wink:

Ugg...Caveman here say HI! ugg....

(goes back to chewing on swarf...)

Welcome to BLF! You'll love being here!

I see potential in in applying your speaking and observational
skills in “Je’ ne sais quoi” Flashlight reviews. Comedic but
not abrasive. And, there is only one of you? right?

Welcome…And we are lucky. Some of the best reviewers in the
game are here!

Welcome to BLF Lumatic. My machining skills are limited to a grinder so post away.

Speaking as one of the near misses, welcome to the forum. It’s a great place to sharpen your aim.

Thanks for signing up, Lumatic!

Pushed the button ...... Welcome !!!! :beer:

I have always loved my little Digitac II 7847 which I got as a gift. Unfortunately, the button is stuck in the “in” position. Ive tried everything to release it but no luck. I dont think they make these anymore but I did send an email to Coast. Any one succeed in ever releasing the button?

Thanks,
Abbie