Is My KingKong INR 26650 Damaged?

Last night I put 4 battery into my Trustfire X100. They were about OCV 3.3V.
I put the light in Medium mode, for a few minutes. And then I notice the light is dimmer than usual.
I tried to cycle through the mode as I thought it somehow switch to Low mode. But it can’t go to Medium and High mode anymore.
Then I realized I must quickly switch it off. I took out the battery, they were OCV 0V, 2V, 2.8V, 3.2V.
One or two of them were quite warm but I can’t remember are they the 0V and 2V those were warmer.
I waited for maybe 3 minutes, that 0V and 2V still stayed too low like 0.1V and 2.1V.
Then I quickly put that 0.1V into hobby charger, charging at 0.3A for 10 minutes, 0.5A for 5 minutes, 1A for 20 minutes, it slowly rise to 3V. I did that as I didn’t know what to do about it.
Then I started charging it at 1.5A for 2 hours, then I stop charging, it was OCV 3.85V. Then this morning I touch on the battery, it was slightly warm. And I measure the voltage, it is 3.74V. Looks like something is shorting inside the battery.
All other batteries are cold and voltage stay, just this one is warm and voltage drop more than others.

Is there any magical way to save this battery?
I am charging it at 0.5A now, if it can reach 4.2V, should I perform a discharge test on it? What is the safe discharge current? I am afraid it might explode.

Get rid of it. Away from the house. A warm Li-Ion battery at rest is a sign of trouble and it's not worth saving. Don't throw it away or recycle until you are sure it is inactive, which might take several days to a week. It sounds like if it may already have ruptured internally.

Sounds bad. I would just place it outside and then take it to a recycling place when you have a chance. I'm not sure where you are but where I am there are a few hazardous waste disposal sights.

Is it I have actually been lucky last night as one them was already 0V in the battery tube? It could have exploded?

Thanks for the advises. I am leaning to getting rid of it too. Just wish to get some testing done to get some experiences. I am thinking can I make it dummy 26650 by empty the content of the battery and put foil inside it.

Why did you use 3.3V batterys (more than empty) anyways? The 2.0V would also scare me..

You can run all tests you like, but do them outside from a safe distance (long wires).. discharge the cell as far as possible before disposing it. You may open it after you discharged it completely and shorted it to get rid of the last bit of energy.. but there is nothing fancy inside. Not worth filling with foil to get a dummy, there are easier ways to make one.

As for explosion.. I guess you were lucky. But on the other hand, I have never heard of any brand name cell exploding.

Yes, it could have but this makes three seperate incidents where it "should" have exploded by conventional logic but didn't.

But do not try to disassemble it! That is extremely dangerous and at the very least will vent fumes that will permanently dissolve your lungs.

Ya, I was stupid about putting 3.3V batteries into it. I thought with 4 batteries, it should still be able to run for some times. But it is already empty. Maybe I somehow confuse the specified minimum discharge voltage 2.75V with OCV 3.3V. I measure batteries voltages quite frequenty but still make this kind of mistake.

I once punctured one unprotected 18650 while opening laptop batteries. The fumes were really bad. I think I won’t open this battery as it is not worthy as I can make dummy batteries with other means.

Just to clarify.

Never open li-ion batteries! Unlike Nimh they are extremely dangerous.

You are lucky the worst thing that happened when you punctured one is bad fumes...

just wondering did you check the charge on all 4 batteries before putting them in? and are they all same type and are they new or old batteries?

they are all new. Their OCV were about 3.3V, might be small differences among them.
These batteries are considered good batteries, it is my fault to abuse them this way mistakenly.

OCV is that a brand?

Hey scaru what gases are released during the reaction? Now I know why you have that gas mask.

OCV is open circuit voltage. Battery voltage will change when loaded.

Parents know you’re hardcore enthusiast when u don the gas mask everytime u swap or charge batteries!

The battery still can be charged to 4.2V, and charging capacity is about the same with before.
Now it is discharging at 1A, already hit 2850mAH where the voltage is 3.37V now.
Feels like the capacity is still good, just somehow it is warm when at rest. I will cycle it a few times, see what will happen.

In the reaction it vents hydrogen fluoride gas. This is essentially a more concentrated version of hydroflouric acid, which is HF and water.

Here on CPF member is who got HF poisoning.

http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?340028-Flashlight-Explosion

There 3M filters are made for HF if that helps.

http://www.hisglassworks.com/cart/3M_7093CB_Respirator_Cartridge_Filters_p784.html#.UJJPe8VG-jY

I think I will stop charging and discharging that battery from now on since it still stay warm at rest, I have already cycled it 3 times. The capacity is definitely affected as now it has discharge capacity of 3800mAH to 3V with 1A. Before this, it was 4009mAH. I measured the current 1A of my hobby charger which is quite accurate at 1A discharge.

Come to think about it, it is really dangerous for this size of battery. I read that an over discharged battery won’t cause explosion or thermal runaway. It is charging over discharged battery will cause explosion or thermal runaway. Was thinking to short this battery while it is fully charged to see will it explode as people claim INR is safer than ICR. But now still considering is it worthy to take the risk to do the experiment. I have no idea how to short it safely dangerously.

No, please do not do that. I am known to be ballsy with my treatment of lions but a prolonged short on a 26650 is a really bad idea. One time I accidentally did it for around 10 seconds, the battery was to hot to touch.

Why not? Place it in plastic clamps with 5m+ long wires, connect them from distance and run. :D

Maybe I'm a little naive in that stuff, but I wouldnt be able to resist playing with it. I mean, its broken already. Discharging it as low as possible is necessary to dump it.

Was your battery fully charged? I read somewhere saying that with SOC of 50% and below, the chances of thermal runaway or explosion is quite low. If SOC were 100%, temperature 80c will be enough to cause thermal runaway.

The purpose of the experiment I am thinking now is to know will INR with SOC 100% having serious thermal runaway when shorted. I won’t do it until I found a safe way to do it.