Is my new cell dead on arrival?

Hi guys, I’m relatively new to the world of 18650 cells. I just received a batch of ncr18650b’s from banggood. Lo and behold, one cell doesn’t charge properly. I can’t seem to fully charge this cell with any of my chargers. I have is a turnigy accucell 6 and my tm26 can charge cells. The turnigy charger immediately jumps to 4.2v 0.1a and then a few minutes later I get a connection break. At this point the cell voltage spikes above 10 volts then gradually returns to 3.8 volts. Now charging with my tm26 the oled display shows “error”.

I’m not sure how to include pictures (I just figured it out) so if you guys don’t mind, I have some pictures in my drop box link Dropbox - ncr18650b - Simplify your life

However I’m able to discharge the cell at a fairly high rate (it runs on my tm26 on high mode which I’m guessing is 4amps). If I were to guess, I’d say this cell has a faulty protection circuit. Any thoughts? The good news is I’ve contacted banggood and they’ve agreed to send a replacement.

One more example that should go into protected vs unprotected 18650 cell thread. Plenty of protected cells have faulty protection circuit. The more additional chips on battery the bigger chances they will broke sooner or later.

I personally prefer unprotected ones in combination with good charger and good driver. It would be nice to see more automatic cut off drivers at lets say 2,8V of battery juice.

yes strip the protection board.you will have a good unprotected cell for a single cell light.

The charging leads are okay? I am asking because I see you measure the battery voltage not directly on the cell and the wires look thin. If the resistance in the charging lead is high than it will give you a similiar scenario like you described.

If you leads are okay I also would check the protection.

Thanks I just checked and the cables do have unusual resistance, it fluctuates up to 100ohms. I guess this explains all the stuff happening with my turnigy charger. I’ll try and figure out another way to charge this cell and report back soon. Despite this, I was able to charge the other cells in this batch and they turned out ok.

If it’s the protection circuit, would cycling the cell a few times fix it, or would it be I’ll need to replace some faulty component on the circuit board?