ITP A1 - Full blown DIY Guide to pulling the A1 apart ...

I kept getting PM's about this , so I have gone and made a full blown DIY guide ....

Well , ever since converting a ITP A1 to XM-L , there has been a steady flow of PM's , so here is as detailed guide to pulling your ITP A1 apart ...

Lets start with a 3 mode ITP A1 -

I did say detailed right : Ok I use a needle [ sewing ] to pull the O ring out from the lens ..

Slowly it goes

Saved the O ring for the lens .

Next we will try and save the factory driver :

The driver is a press fit into the pill , and if you cant wedge it out as is , well I drill a hole !!!!!

With the dead driver from my first mod , I work out the safest place to drill

With the hole drilled , one now has leverage to pull the driver out ,

Now be as careful as possible using brute force to rip the driver out GENTLY !!!

Untested - but hopefully still alive

Looks strong , but its almost as strong as a soft drink can , I put some pliers into the holes , and then apply heat ...

Very old micro torch - with enough power to melt Aluminum ..
Heat the head till it smokes and gently try to twist out the driver - get heavy handed and you will damage it ..

Just heat it up more and more till the glue lets go , and remember to be gentle here or you may have to kiss the pill bye bye [ its soft as butter ]

Here , the pill came out , check out the molten LED !

Sometimes , you might be lucky , and get away with less heat ..

Now remember WARNING ! the Head will be hot , possibly several hundred degrees Celsius , I have some old heavy duty gloves from my Aluminum Die Casting Days , and I tell you , they sizzle when unscrewing the pill .

So there you have it ...

This light will become XP-G R5 and use the original driver ...

http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/...OS-XM-L-U2-Mod

Good work.

Don't know why they made it so hard to open.

lol well that makes it official..i'm never opening my A1 lol..cool to know how it's put in though..the itp sa1 is hard to work on also and I messed mine up fiddling with it..got a new one i'm not touching..

Geez...it looks like you had mice living in between the pill and reflector.

the Olight i1 (same company ITP) has XML LED. so no need to tear out the guts of the ITP ;)